I Don't Like Committeees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaVern

Reaction score
This is my response to the letter below, that was put on the fun National Page.

I hate Committees, Being on one is just not any fun. And you have to kind of be a bossy person and also know how to delegate authority if you accept a Chairmanship on one. And then you have to answer to people when you accept that position. And then there is always someone mad at you because you did the thankless job. I don't like telling anyone else what to do and I don't want anyone else telling me what to do. My philosophy is Just Do It. If you do it wrong who cares. The heck with being official.
And I don't think a Good Party should be a lot of work. All you need is some hats some whistles and a Big Cake.
Amy is right about the history though, I do like to see stuff recorded, but heck let the people that want to be in the fun record book, do it themselves with Lil Beginnings, or any other Blog or Whatever if they want to. If they don't who cares.
I was going to scan all the Dec. Journals, but that's a lot of work too. Tara said, " Heck just tear out all those pages bind them and put them in a RubberMaid Container too."
If others want to be on the Official Historical Committee Great, more power to them, but I don't I am too busy having fun. Renee LaBarre Reiten

Dear AMHR National Exhibitors....

Did you know that the ASPC/AMHR has been trying to plan activities to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the National Show since last March ... a year now? It's been posted about here on Lil Beginnings. It's been written about in The Journal. The planning subccommittee of the ASPC/AMHR's Historical Committee came to this very forum asking for input. The Historical Committee put together two years worth of budget to develop a historical display. We also wanted to host a reception one night. We asked Renee Reiten to chair the effort. She declined. It's nice to see Renee has changed her mind and now wants to do more than just have a party and that she no longer thinks that the old history & memories do not need to be rehashed. It's fortunate that her reasons for declining the opportunity to spearhead the official celebration efforts have so completely been overcome. Perhaps that will help get things rolling for the planned efforts as well.

After Renee declined, It took us another 5 months of looking ... including posting here ... to find a willing volunteer. Michelle Presley volunteered to spearhead the overall effort when absolutely no one else would take that on. Please refer to her column in the December issue of The Journal. She's got some great ideas and is looking for your help, too.

I am glad to see some of you now interested in supporting a celebration since NO ONE has responded to the official requests for input printed just 3 short months ago. As you support this latest effort of Renee's, please take the time to share you memories and photos with the official effort of the AMHR. You can find Michele Presley's contact info in her article in the December Journal.

Also, please be advised ... some photos are copyrighted. Also, printed materials belonging specifically to a publisher might also need to be legally cleared to be used. Therefore, please consider what you share carefully.

The ASPC/AMHR's Historical Committee looks forward to all of your great input. Also, we are still looking for volunteers for the planned efforts.

Amy Roberts

ASPC/AMHR Historical Committee Chair

post_largest_cake_01_front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Renee ...

You were to be given basically free reign. The committee was only going to make a few suggestions... which were ... 1) we want a historical display... here's some suggestions from what worked for The Congress ... but do whatever you think works and 2) we want a party but you'll have to fundraise as there is no budget. You were specifically told you could form whatever group you wanted. All you had to do was report back.

SUB-committee was a convenient word that people understand. It could have been called whatever the heck you wanted ... Renee & the awesome party planners.

The subcommittee that actually STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE is pretty much doing whatever they want.

I want EVERYONE to know three things....

1) You were asked to be the key person on this whole thing. You refused.

2) In refusing, you specifically told me that ALL you cared about was a PARTY ... you wanted to dress up like Buckeroo. You did NOT see the need to put together memories. Heck, you'd been there, lived through it, knew it all. Therefore, it's demoralizing to those who have been working on these things to find out that NOW you want to do a book along the lines of an idea you denigrated in a coversation with me.

3) The official effort needs help and support. We encourage everyone to share what they share with Renee with the anniversary planning group.

You are absolutely right. Being on a committee is NO FUN when so many people absolutely, positively will kick you in the teeth and think they are in the right to do so.

You are free to do whatever you want. Like I said in my email ... good luck. Certainly, it's an idea with merit. Unfortunately, the Historical Committee is too overwhelmed trying to do all of the right things that we couldn't possibly take it on. It is just surprising to come online to see you now make this push because you poo-poo'ed similiar work last spring. Yes, you didn't want to officially be in the system. But you specifically said you didn't really feel that the memory gathering needed to be done. You also said you didn't feel like you could get the words right ... from one of your emails:

"I am not very good at saying things the right way and a terrible speller, I just like to party. Historical sounds like you have to get things right? I don't always do that."

For sure ... you have to get things right if you make a book out of it. To make a big giant display for everyone to enjoy together ... there would be a lot less pressure on the writing and spelling. I know the person working to do the disply doesn't seem worried about that aspect. She's more bothered by the fact NO MEMBER has shared a single memory or photo.

My purpose in posting before and again now is to congratulate you for finally coming around to see the merit the idea of preserving memories that you so strongly dismissed just one year ago .... AND to beg, beg, beg, beg members ... PLEASE ... if you send stuff to Renee's project ... please, please, please support the people working on the official project as well.

Amy Roberts

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Amy. I think that you are taking just the parts of our correspondence from months ago that you want to use. But, who knows what I said back then. I say the dumbest things. I still think dressing up someone like Buckeroo and putting him in cake is a good idea.
I don't think there is such a thing as free reign, when dealing with the Club as a whole. Once you ask for something especially money, you are beholding to someone.
You have been bawling me out for nearly twenty years because of my wild and wayward ways, and rightfully so most of the time. You are already bawling me out now and I haven't even done anything, except to get some interest drummed up.

What Kind of stuff does the real outfit need. I was checking into paper hats, a different color for each area? There is nothing like a goofy hat to get you into a party mood.

Latest posts

Back