Labelled and exploded view of driving harness parts and pieces

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annabellarose

Reaction score
LabelledExplodedHarness100.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Thank you. How frequently are thimbles used versus other methods? Makes the most sense to me intuitively...

If thimbles are supposed to be a substitute for breeching, I don't think that's a good idea. I have thimbles on my sulky quick-hitch harness. It does not have breeching as it is designed for going straight ahead on a flat surface. The thimbles are the only way to engage the harness for backing or braking. Not ideal.

I agree with Marsha C. This harness (you will notice that its design does NOT incorporate wrap straps) allows the shafts of my easy entry cart to "float" just a tad more than I am comfortable with so I often use both breeching and thimbles, but I use and adjust them in a manner that does not put constant pressure on either the breeching or the thimbles.

In my opinion, thimbles should not be used in place of breeching except for extremely short, extremely "controlled" (in an enclosed area with extremely flat footing) drives. I do not like that the current show trend seems to be using no breeching, but I will drive that way to remain competitve only in the ring with the use of thimbles and/or shaft stops and I would like to give false breeching a try in the future.

Latest posts

Back