Komoko History Anyone Please?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzie

Reaction score
I have been looking into the history of old breeders and their horses. While I know several of the horses, I am wondering who owned the Komoko horses, started the name, where they got their original stock etc. Does anyone know?

Lizzie

I own 8 minis and out of all 8, 7 have Komokos somewhere in their pedigree. Some upclose more then others including My Komokos Little King Supreme Son and my heavly bred Komokos/Johnstons bred stallion, and my Komokos Fancy Pants g-daughter.

heres all the Komokos names in their pedigrees...

Komokos Little King Supreme

Komokos Fancy Pants

Komokos Love Lace

Komokos Little Champ

Komokos King Tut

Komokos Queen Bee

Komokos Little Hussler

Komokos Teenie Jeanie

Komokos Sally

Komokos Mountain Boy

Komokos Lady Bug

Komokos Buttons

Komokos Apple Jack

Komokos Whiskey

Komokos Alley Cat

Komokos Daffie

Komokos Sister Sue

Komokos Bay Queen

Komokos Tiny Tim

Komokos Keepsake

Komokos Misty Melody

Komokos Holly

Komoks Sandy

Komokos Mr Bo Jangles

default_wacko.png
WOW thats a lot of Komokos in my horses pedigrees with many of them named several times!!! Never realized actually how many there was!

Joel "Bob" Bridges was one of the earliest mini breeders, his prefix "Komoko" is on hundreds of horses he bred from the l960's. Little King farm began their operation with small mares and studs bought from him. His farm was in northeast Florida with well-managed and healthy minis. He and wife Lucille kept detailed notes and pedigrees, one could rely on their accuracy, as well as photos taken of each foal the day of birth with the dam. I lived an hour's drive from his beautiful farm with their hundreds of minis, I visited several times and was impressed how they knew by sight every name of each one. I bought four horses from them and they were excellent purchases and productive breeders. They gave extended pedigrees and photos with each purchase. They dispersed their minis in the 90's.

Thank you so much everyone. What a great legecy, Bob and Lucille Bridges left us. Almost every pedigree I see, has Komoko horses listed somewhere in the background and often (like MindyLee's horses) have a large number. It seems we owe them quite a debt of gratitude for their careful keeping of records.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much everyone. What a great legecy, Bob and Lucille Bridges left us. Almost every pedigree I see, has Komoko horses listed somewhere in the background and often (like MindyLee's horses) have a large number. It seems we owe them quite a debt of gratitude for their careful keeping of records.

Lizzie

I agree!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

I havent really seen a Komokos bred horse that I did'nt like. My Komokos bred stallion might not be what anyone would consider in todays market, BUT boy the selected mares I breed him to sure do clean his foals up. What he lackes in danty, he sure makes up in his loving personality!

By the way, dose anyone have any pics of any of the horses I named above? I would really love to see them!!!

Great thread
aktion033.gif

My stallion has Komkos Little Whippoorwill and Komokos Leopard Eagle. Could someone tell me something about the

Dell Teras horses?

Thanks
saludando.gif

One thing the Komoko bred horses generally do, is cut size. The Bridges liked to breed the smaller horses and they bred some good ones. I like to see some Komoko in a pedigree if I'm needing a size reducer.

Funny you should ask Eagle. I have been looking into the Dell Tera horses for a while now and have discovered some very interesting details. I will post my findings here soon.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back