knocking while moving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leigha

Reaction score
I assume it's in the hock's but not 100% sure. I'm not sure why it would be happening so could any of you give me some idea's?

Did it just start or did you just notice it or has it been happening for awhile?

My knee-jerk reaction, without knowing any details about the horse, is his conformation or the way that he is made.

Has he had a recent, proper hoof trimming?

Does he appear to be lame? Does it appear to bother him?

Does he only do it during certain gaits/speeds? What are those gaits/speeds?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably been happening for a while...I've only had him for almost a month. I've posted pictures in the picture/video forum but they aren't good conformation pictures...His owner trims him so Im not sure if it's correct or just done. It doesn't appear to bother him at all, he'll still run around an everything. I notice it at all gaits, but I will have to verify that when I take him out after breakfast. Thanks again

I looked at the picture (Chance?). Without meeting him in person and/or seeing better photographs of him, he does appear to be a tad cow hocked and that's not the worst flaw that a horse can have or uncommon; however, it can cause a horse to knock his hocks together when he walks/moves. If it's constant and hard, he may have soundness issues now or later in life. I suggest asking a good farrier out to give him an evaluation and an expert trim. A farrier may be able to work on his angles now and/or over time and help the problem a bit. He is also quite straight behind, there's really nothing you can do for that, I don't think.

What do you intend to do with him? Is he just a pet or do you intend to drive and/or jump him?

When you say "knocking" is he actually hitting his legs together? Or is it a noise he is making?

I agree there is a good chance it is in his trimming. Do you have photos of his legs, from the back and side standing square on good hard ground with no grass, you could post?

If you are referring to the sound and not the hocks knocking together, then my mini does that. Her hind legs are a little straight at the hock, not very angled and that is the reason she sometimes 'clicks' or 'knocks'. She is on a joint supplement and only clicks a little on the softer ground. It doesn't seem to bother her as she is out there running and bucking and playing without a care.

Just saw your photo post of Chance on the Photo Forum, is this hte horse you are asking about? If so, that's how my mini's back legs are, just a little too straight and that's why they click (On my girl and I"m guessing on your boy, too.)

Does it happen at walk or only faster?

Is the toe long? Sometimes the fetlock will "click" if long toe on some conformations of fetlock/pasturn angles.

Any chance it could be noise from the sheath?
default_laugh.png
Yep, sometimes the boys have a "noise".........
default_wacko.png

Just thoughts.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back