Knee pain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minih

Reaction score
I have been to the doctor and found out I have degeneration on the inside of both knees. I went a couple of weeks ago and got a steroid shot in my left knee and it is already back to the way it was. I have been told I will eventually have to have part of my knee replaced. Not really wanting to do that just yet. I have been hearing about glucosamine (sp?) and wondered if anyone has used it with any kind of success? We give the dog food with it in it to one of our outside dogs and it seems to help her. Any other treatments anyone has used that helps with the pain of standing and walking from bad knees?

I've taken glucosamine for many years, and it really does make a difference. Because I am severely allergic to Aspirin and Ibuprofen, I'm limited to taking Acetaminophen for mild pain, so I'm glad the glucosamine is available.

When my surgeon gave me a steroid injection, I also had to wear a cast for 10 days. His belief is that immediately immobilizing the joint site yields much better results than immediate use of the joint after the shot. For me, that was very effective, so wearing the cast was worth the inconvenience.

Hope you get some pain relief soon!

Pam

I've got a very strong family history of arthritis on my mom's side (she'd already had both hips replaced by the time she was 60 and really needs a knee done) so when my knees suddenly started getting creaky and stiff at 24 I was quite concerned. My Arab, Spyderman, has been on joint supplements since he was about 17 and I know they've made a huge difference for him so it suddenly occurred to me to wonder why the people in my family weren't on them. I asked my mom and she said she wasn't taking them because she thinks she's allergic to shellfish and was concerned they would interact with all her other medications. Well, I don't have those problems so I went to Trader Joe's last winter and bought the most complete time-release joint supplement I could find. I'm on almost all the same stuff my horses are (glucosamine, chondroitin sulfates, and MSM although not the Hyaluronic Acid) and it really did make a difference! After a week or two those mysterious creaks and groans from my lower joints simply went away and I had no more trouble the rest of that winter. I stopped taking them this summer when I got busy with the horse shows and had no problems until the cold weather set in again but let's just say I went out and bought another bottle two nights ago.

I know when Spyder's problem got really severe in his late twenties I had to start him on Adequan shots and that additional ingredient really helped. Now he's on the oral version of Hyaluronic Acid and although he's lame from soft tissue injuries and ringbone he still feels good enough at almost 32 to buck around his paddock when the wind starts blowing and come trotting to the fence. The HA seems to be extremely effective stuff and I see that it's available for people now too so if your knees are that bad you might try some HA as well. It won't be able to correct actual bone damage but it can lubricate the joint better and help support the surrounding tissues, buying you some time before you have to fix the joint itself.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
For temporary relief, what about trying those icy hot patches that heat up for several hours.

I can't think of the brand name but I know they make one specifically for the knee.

I am a FIRM beliver in Hyaluronic Acid. I take it along with the Triple Flex you can buy at Costco and it has made a HUGE difference in the way my joints (especially my knees) feel. I have horrible knees due to playing football and skiing moguls competitively for years. My doctor recommended them to me and the difference is like day and night. It dows require about a month to build up in your system and begin to make a difference. I also use BioFlex magnets and they help alot too.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark & Sharon Bullington said:
It dows require about a month to build up in your system and begin to make a difference.
I know the horse version says to put them on a doubled loading dose for a certain number of weeks when you start the product, I wonder why the people version doesn't say the same thing?

I've wondered about using magnets. How well do they seem to work, how long do you apply them, and for how long do you use them? Do the effects linger after you take the magnets off?

Leia

Look into having synvisc injections done. I was diagnosed when i was a pre-teen with Osteocondritis desicans.....I remember it being a problem when i was only like 5 years old but parents didnt' believe me...just growing pains blah blah blah (pretyt much the same as what horses and dogs get). The end of my femer bone died and fell off in chunks the size of quarters. i've had 5 surgeries to try to repair and remove the bone fragments ect....and have never been able to run or walk long distances. I can muddle through jogging around for halter but i pay for it later. ....it has caused joint degeneration with loss of carteledge and arthritis, bone spurs ect. I did a couple steroid injections and they never even touched the problem. I then learned about synvisc when it first came out and have had them done almost every year since (sometimes i skip a year). It is a series of three shots so it's not the most pleasant thing in the world but it really seems to help. it's a joint lubricant (which many arthritic and people with loss of carteledge need). It really does seem to make a difference and most people i've spoken to that have used it have found it to help quite a bit. To me it's well worth the pain of the 3 shots. .... Even if the steroids had worked once i was diagnosed with lyme disease they would not have been an option. it's a big no-no to have any sort of steroids with lyme. it was a good alternative.

If your main problem is soft tissue problems around the knee joint and not the bone, I would recommend looking at other alternatives.........The MSM and Glucosamine is one, plus other natural/holistic things........

I can only speak from personal experience, but about 15 years ago I wrecked my left knee up skiing. I destroyed the cartilidge (sp), tendons, AND the supporting muscles across my thigh that wrap around the knee and join up with all of what I listed.........I was told I had NO knee! I was also told the only answer was surgery.

I opted for chiropractic work instead and am glad I did.........I've never done the surgery. Have to admit that I haven't tackled the Black Diamond slopes since the injury, but I've been up skiing the beginner ones while teaching the child. I can also run again.
default_smile.png
Oh, and yes, it did take at least two years of the therapy before I felt like I could exercise again, but what was important to ME was -- NO surgery.

Just don't feel pressured one way or another........There are CHOICES you can make.

On the inside of both knees I am rubbing bone on bone. I have not thought about trying chiropractic for my knees.....? Everyone keep the ideas coming, it helps to know what others are doing and trying.

I just want to put in my vote for joint supplements.

I was having a lot of trouble with arthritis in my left pinky (Hey, don't laugh! I type for a living!
default_rolleyes.gif
) and so I bought this supplement from Springtime, Inc. and WOW! It made a huge difference in only a couple of weeks. My finger hurt so much it kept me awake at night. I couldn't use it for typing, or to hold driving reins, and if I happened to tap it against anything it made me see stars. Now I can bend it and type and even hold my reins, and it just plain doesn't hurt! And I'm noticing my hips, knees, etc. don't creak and snap as much anymore, which is a nice bonus.

I do hope you find something that works for you!

I swear by cetyl M ( I think www.cetylm.com is the site) It was a miracle drug for my very old, very arthritic dog. I took it for some time, but had a reaction to it ( because of my specific illness, not the supplement)

Latest posts

Back