Kentucky people please help! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a 28 acre farm for sale by owner in Shelbyville near the Frankfort line.... right off of 64. They were a little pricy 8 months ago when I looked at it... something like $330k. Needs a little work though... But HUGE potential!

There are TONS of farms for sale... Four or five right on my road. Not to get too personal, but what kind of place are you looking for? Acreage/price...

Shelbyville/simpsonville area is really awesome.. i'd LOVE to be able to afford to live there. I have friends in that area. It is a bit pricey to buy there though! If you look up around Eminence ect the land gets cheaper but still BEAUTIFUL up through there. I'd look in that area if it were me (and of course depending on price range).

I live in Northern Kentucky about 25 miles southeast of Cincinnati, Oh. I work in Cincinnati but have

the pleasure of living in a small Kentucky town. It takes me about 45 minutes to get to work and back.

We are close to Cold Spring and Alexandria which has lots of stores and resturants within about 20 minutes drive time including Walmarts, Southern States (local co-op), and Kohls. If that doesn't work, we can head for Florence, KY which has large shopping selection or over to Eastgate in Ohio (about 45 to 1 hour). It takes

about one hour and half to get down to the Kentucky Horse Park. There are lots of foreclosed homes in the area right now so you may be able to find something reasonable. I live in California, KY which is very small.

I really love the Lexington, Georgetown, and Paris areas but I have never lived there but just visited for horse shows.

Hope things work out ok for you and your family. I will be Breyerfest this year too!

Freida

Silver Ridge Miniatures

Can you remind me when/where the meeting is? I'm not sure what I did with my newsletter
- Info is also on the Bluegrass clubs website. The meeting is usually on Sunday afternoon.
BryerFest 2008

July 18, 19, & 20

What do we do???

We have demonstration times each day showing the versatility of the mini ( in the covered show ring where the Julep Cup is held).

We answer questions about our club and our horses.

We meet and greet and enjoy the atmosphere of horse-loving people.
THanks!!! Hope we get to attend the meeting... our flight back to Az is Sunday, I forget what time, maybe 6... and it's in Louisville, so we have to leave Breyerfest early Sunday.

Jess

In Lexington there is a Lone Star Steakhouse, and a Logan's Roadhouse (almost identical). Both are good. As far as Joe Bologna's , we used to eat there a lot many years ago. It has changed locations so many times I just didn't bother to keep up with it. BTW Malone's may be a little pricey, but it won't compare to Ruth Chris's prices. If you go there, you will most likely be rubbing elbows with the local TB crowd, as one of my old bosses has invested in the place, and he intends to see to it that his investment is returned! While at the Horse Park, try to go to Sam's restaurant. It is a little restaurant outside Georgetown. It has homecooked food, nothing fancy, and the best pies you ever ate. The people that work at the Horse Park eat lunch there frequently, and most of the owners, and workers from the horsefarms eat there. Now some one from up north might be slightly taken aback at the facility, but the service is good and friendly, and the food is very good. When you are in Paris, Georgetown, or Lexington, you are in the heart of it all, and there are many historical places around. I was born in Georgetown, and when I married, I married a Georgetown fellow, and though I have lived all over the place, Georgetown is my home, and will always be.

WAHOO!!! Lone Star in Lex!!!! I am sooooo happy I won't have to miss Lone Star ;) Will miss Chino's, it's a very odd local resteraunt... a mixture of chinese and mexican! I get YUMMY carnitas on white rice.... mmmm... If anyone watches Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on TV (Food channel probably?), Chino's was on there once.

They opened a Logan's not too terribly far from here (20 miles) if I"m thinking of the right place... if not, I KNOW there is one somewhere, I KNOW I've seen it. Never eaten there though. How about Macayos? That is Craig's favorite. If not, any good Mexican resteraunts? There's tons in Az, but I would imagine they're less plentiful in Ky? I don't like the food, but it's hubby's favorite, so we go occasionally (and always on his birthday).

We're staying in Georgetown for 3 nights, so I'll look for Sams! We're staying at the Motel 6 there. We go for cheap hotels, see no reason to spend a lot of money just for a bed ;)

Ok, odd question... but what is Kentucky considered? Like, Az is in the southwest... what is Ky in? My dad said it's the south.... but it's not very south to me when I look at a map of the US LOL!!! Geography was something I never paid attention to in school!

Jessi

Had to chime in. I live in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, and being in a real estate family, can say this honestly, You can buy anywhere in Ky right now more reasonably than about any other time.

It is truly a buyers market. Farmland is still holding its own, but if you are looking for a smaller tract of land with a house, it should be easy enough to find. Lots and lots of small tracts of land are up for sale.

I live dead in central KY, about 25 miles southwest of Lexington, about 1 hour from Louisville, Two hours from Cinci, and wouldnt live anywhere else.

Vets are abundant, as well as any store you can imagine, but that is the case pretty much anywhere in Kentucky. I think eastern Ky is as pretty as anywhere in the US but as others have stated, check out the roads, proximity to other larger towns, etc. as some places are hard to get to.

You talke about Paint Lick, I am about 35 minutes from Paint Lick and property should be reasonable there, and it is a blanket community to Richmond. Richmond will have most anything you could ever need.

Good Luck on your search for a home in KY. There is no better place to live.

Kentucky is considered the "Midwest".

I'm not sure about all those restaurants you asked about but i do know there is (or at least was) a great little Authentic Mexican reasturant near churchill since many of the hotwalkers and grooms are mexicans. course it's a bit in the ruff end of town since churchill is but it was pretty decent food. I'm guessing there has to be some in Lexington too. They do exist.

Hillary

WAHOO!!! Lone Star in Lex!!!! I am sooooo happy I won't have to miss Lone Star ;) Will miss Chino's, it's a very odd local resteraunt... a mixture of chinese and mexican! I get YUMMY carnitas on white rice.... mmmm... If anyone watches Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on TV (Food channel probably?), Chino's was on there once.

They opened a Logan's not too terribly far from here (20 miles) if I"m thinking of the right place... if not, I KNOW there is one somewhere, I KNOW I've seen it. Never eaten there though. How about Macayos? That is Craig's favorite. If not, any good Mexican resteraunts? There's tons in Az, but I would imagine they're less plentiful in Ky? I don't like the food, but it's hubby's favorite, so we go occasionally (and always on his birthday).

We're staying in Georgetown for 3 nights, so I'll look for Sams! We're staying at the Motel 6 there. We go for cheap hotels, see no reason to spend a lot of money just for a bed ;)

Ok, odd question... but what is Kentucky considered? Like, Az is in the southwest... what is Ky in? My dad said it's the south.... but it's not very south to me when I look at a map of the US LOL!!! Geography was something I never paid attention to in school!

Jessi

Kentucky is considered being in the south by Kentuckians. I think in the Civil War, it was divided equally, but most Kentuckians consider themselves southern, and proud of it! I have never heard that it was considered "mid western".

There are some Mexican restaurants in Lexington, however right now none come to mind. It isn't my favorite food either, but we do have a lot of Mexicans in Ky. now.

Kentucky itself was actually nutral in the Civil War... that's how it became such a horse state (or so I was told, people here sure seem to be of the Southern mindset :p ). People sent their best horses and breeding stallions there so they wouldn't be appropriated into either side's war effort. When the war ended, the horses stayed, founding a community of some of the best Saddlebreds and Thoroughbreds in the country to this day
default_smile.png

LOl it sure was interesting to take American History in college there! You get a whole 'nuther perspective which was more geared "southern" that's for sure.. but as far as classifying i've always heard of it refered to as the midwest even by the people there..but that's just what i've always heard
default_smile.png
and yes it was officially a "neutral" state.

Thanks guys!!!

LOL ok, it's the midwest, AND it's southern ;)

Jessi

Let's just put it this way: It is south of the Mason Dixon Line, and South of the Mississippi. Does that not sound southern to you?

Back