Kentucky people please help! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAut

Reaction score
Hi everyone! We've been planning to move to Ky for a few years. Well, things are going along in a direction that it might happen sooner than we expected! We've found a house that is just perfect for us.

So can anyone tell me about Carter county or thereabouts? This particular place is in Olive Hill, in Carter County. Any reasons that is a bad place, or are we ok to continue?

Any thoughts/info are great!
default_smile.png

Jessi

I am originally from Central Ky., and I don't know anything about Carter County or Olive Hill. Used to know some people from there, but they were just acquaintances. Good luck on your move.

I live in Shelby county in the middle of the Kentucky "horse country". I've never been out east of Lexington except when I first drove through the state. All I know is prices are a lot lower east of Lexington, south of Louisville, and north of Shelbyville!

I'm not real familar with that area but we'll only be a couple hours apart! Looks like i'll be moving down (unless things change AGAIN) the end of July. If you haven't moved forward/purchased by then i could certainly got scope it out for you!

Hi everyone! We've been planning to move to Ky for a few years. Well, things are going along in a direction that it might happen sooner than we expected! We've found a house that is just perfect for us.

So can anyone tell me about Carter county or thereabouts? This particular place is in Olive Hill, in Carter County. Any reasons that is a bad place, or are we ok to continue?

Any thoughts/info are great!
default_smile.png

Jessi

I live a ways from there, in south central KY. Ive driven through that area a few times and it seems really nice, but dont have any more info than that...sorry!

Jessi, here's the website for the Olive Hill Chamber of Commerce: www.atcc.net/chamber/

It has some info on the area. Great State parks there. Of course I haven't been to any yet! If ya want- e-mail me your address & I'll send you the local phonebook. It's real small!
default_wink.png

Sherri

Thanks guys
default_smile.png

Boinky, thanks for the offer! We're going to Ky mid July for Breyerfest, and we plan to spend at least a day driving around the area if things go well! We'll be in Ky a week, but spending the first day and half in the Louiville are. My friend from Tn is going to meet us there, we're going to Churchill Downs and the Derby museum, and then we'll have time between that and Breyerfest to explor Carter County. Tomarrow (almost today, Friday) my dad and I meet with hubby's sister. Dad is moving with us (the place has a seperate small house for him!) and he and I are buying it together, and hubby's sister is a mortgage lady... so we'll be one step closer (hopefully!) after that... and then dad will fly out to go look at it, and if he says it's a go, we're doing it! Then when hubby and I go, we can check it out... We have to be able to buy that house before selling my current house... kinda hard to get a house ready and show it when you have 7 dogs and 19 cats... all indoors...! If we get to, we'll move me and the house animals, the goats and some of the minis out there, then dad and Craig will fly back and get the house ready to sell before they move out there. The rest of the horses will come sometime between I guess, we will have to have them hauled for us (I can only fit so many in my trailer!)

Sherri, thanks, Craig and I hadn't come across that website in our searches! I will check it out tomarrow
default_smile.png
I'll email you about the phone book after we meet with Jill tomarrow, if all goes well, thanks so much for that, I appreciate it
default_smile.png
Will be fun!

Jessi

I don't know if the Downs will be open in late July... don't they end around the holiday? I'm only 25 minutes east of the city. The museum is open year round, so that'll be available regardless. Enjoy the trip!

Boinky, we will miss you here in the north.

nathan i think your right. Churchill closes down after spring meet until i beleive sometime in like early September when the breeders cup starts up (although i could be wrong). I dont' think i ever actually made i to the museum when i lived there but wen to churchill every year to watch the derby. You should really try going to Joes Crabshack down on the waterfront in louisville. It's a really FUN restaurant. Might want to make reservations or check in early if it's dinner time because it was always packed in the evening (that is if it's still even there..lol it's been a few years since i've been there last).

BTW don't waste your money on the stupid lexington horse farm tours... we did that one year and I thought it was quite disapointing! If your able to take the time to swing around Keeneland..it's a GORGEOUS track... really worth going to tour.

Is breyerfest at the Horse park again this year? The horse park is awesome. I love going there.

Churchill Spring Meet will close on (Ibelieve) July 4th. Then Ellis Park will open, then after Ellis is Turfway, then Keeneland in October, then Churchill again, the end of October. The museum at Churchill is open year round. I second the suggestion that you go to Keeneland and look around. It is beautiful, and the grounds are extremely well kept. It is across the road from the Blue Grass Airport, and is at the highest elevation of Fayette Co. There are many great restaurants in Louisville. While in Lexington, look for Malone's restaurant. It is a steak house with supreme steaks, and a never ending salad bowl! If you have time, do take the horse farm tour. To some it may be a disappointment, but just seeing the barns, grounds, and the routine of the workers, along with such expensive horse flesh is pretty awesome. I've been in the industry for most of my life, and some of it still takes my breath away. Lexington is the heart of horse country. You will see miles and miles of white or black board fencing, manicured pastures, and beautiful horses. Can you tell I'm a little homesick? If you truly love horses, you are going into an area that has devoted lives and years and years to them. You will find there are two clubs in Ky. that are devoted to the miniatures. Mid-East Miniature Horse Club, and Blue Grass Miniature Horse Club. They both have web sites. I believe the area you are looking into, is in the mountains of Ky. Small towns, and miles away from the hustle and bustle of the larger towns. Check it out closely, make sure you can live in a small town without all the amenities of larger cities. I am afraid that when we moved here, I thought that wouldn't be a hardship on me, but now that I am 50 miles away from the nearest large town, have to drive at least 25-30 to find a Lowe's or a Tractor Supply, 25 to a Wal-Mart, and no large supermarkets, it does bother me quite a lot. When I lived in Georgetown, Ky., I was 12 miles from Lexington, 3-4 miles from the Horse Park, 5 miles out of town, I could run in and pick up what I may have forgotten, or just run in to have lunch, or meet with a friend. That is all past here. Make sure you think about all that before you take the plunge.

I used to live in Lexington and Keenland is open twice a year for about a month each time. It is either March and September or April and October. I know that Churchill is open in November as I have actually gone to the races on Thanksgiving before. I used to have inlaws that lived in Eastern Kentucky and most of the people there are very friendly.

I guess we did the wrong tour..at the time i think it was the only one. We didn't see any real good farms.. i think we only wen tto ONE.. they drove us past a bunch and they drove us through the horse parks parking lot.. it was aweful expensive for what little you got to see... Do some research i'd suggest before you choose one if you do one! lol I think we got jipped quite frankly.

Malones is good, but very pricy. Even better is Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Louisville. AMAZING... on top of the Kaden tower overlooking the city. But plan on $100/person :p

wasn't there a restaurant in Lexington called Joe balona's or something like that? that was a good restaurant too.

Thanks for the info guys! Bummer about Churchill, but we might go to the museum anyhow, we'll see.

Where we live now, we're 25 miles from most things, except that there are some places a few miles away, 2 grocery stores, a couple fast food places, a resteraunt and a Super Walmart. But nothing else really, so we're used to being away from things (the Walmart is nice, but I've lived here before that was there, so...) oh yeah, there's an outlet mall, but unless you're shopping for clothing, it's pointless!

Yup, Breyerfest is always at the park. LOOOOOOOVE it there, and LOOOOOOOOVE Breyerfest ;) Can't wait for July to go again! We went in '05, that's when we fell in love with Ky
default_smile.png

I'm a member of both clubs, Mid America and Bluegrass. Joined them a couple years ago when we knew we'd be moving to Ky someday so I could get the newsletters, see what goes on
default_smile.png
It'll be neat to make it to a meeting, the BGMHC has a meeting at Breyerfest
default_smile.png

We have Ruths Chris in Az! LOL

OK EVERYONE>>>>>>>>>>

Tell me about Ky, any part! The house we were looking at might not work out with us... so TELL ME ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE PART OF KY!
default_smile.png
One of our top choices is in Paint Lick, which is near Richmond.

When we go to Ky for Breyerfest, we'll be there a week. Dad is going to fly in for a couple days, and the three of us are going house shopping! We'll be around Louisville the first day and half, then moving on towards the Bluegrass area. First hotel is in Louisville, second night Richmond, then the next three nights in Georgetown due to Breyerfest.

Sigh, I don't suppose Ky has Lone Star stakehouse... my FAVORITE resteraunt! I actually don't like beef of any sort, but I LOOOOVE their mesquite grilled chicken! I'll miss that when we move! And Chinos, a local resteraunt in Phx (about 35 minutes south of me). Oh well, it's worth it!

Jessi

I don't suppose Ky has Lone Star stakehouse
.... I am about 30 minutes from downtown Louisville. Yes there is a Lonestar Steakhouse restaurant.................. If you are looking in the Louisville/Taylorsville area I can give you the info of the realtor that has our house/mini farm for sale............................................................
I'm a member of both clubs, Mid America and Bluegrass. It'll be neat to make it to a meeting, the BGMHC has a meeting at Breyerfest
............. Lee & I have been members of MAMHC since 1986 & Bluegrass since it started. We are usually at the Breyerfest club meeting in July - the club usually provides a fried chicken meal for the members.

Last edited by a moderator:
All or most of our family is centered around Lexington area, Paris and Georgetown. We attempted to move there several years ago. We took two weeks looking and searching for a place to no avail in Kentucky and mostly it was very expensive and out of our reach without going into huge debt. That's how we landed here in Tennessee. I think Carter County is in the mountainous area so be aware of the roads and lay of the land. Just a suggestion to be would not to put all your eggs in one basket. Call several realtors before you go and have them line up lots and lots of places for you to look at, not just that one. It might look good in pictures or on video but can be a whole nuther ball of wax when you get there.

I believe the area you are looking into, is in the mountains of Ky. Small towns, and miles away from the hustle and bustle of the larger towns. Check it out closely, make sure you can live in a small town without all the amenities of larger cities. I am afraid that when we moved here, I thought that wouldn't be a hardship on me, but now that I am 50 miles away from the nearest large town, have to drive at least 25-30 to find a Lowe's or a Tractor Supply, 25 to a Wal-Mart, and no large supermarkets, it does bother me quite a lot. When I lived in Georgetown, Ky., I was 12 miles from Lexington, 3-4 miles from the Horse Park, 5 miles out of town, I could run in and pick up what I may have forgotten, or just run in to have lunch, or meet with a friend. That is all past here. Make sure you think about all that before you take the plunge.

This could not be more true.

I don't suppose Ky has Lone Star stakehouse
.... I am about 30 minutes from downtown Louisville. Yes there is a Lonestar Steakhouse restaurant.................. If you are looking in the Louisville/Taylorsville area I can give you the info of the realtor that has our house/mini farm for sale............................................................
I'm a member of both clubs, Mid America and Bluegrass. It'll be neat to make it to a meeting, the BGMHC has a meeting at Breyerfest
............. Lee & I have been members of MAMHC since 1986 & Bluegrass since it started. We are usually at the Breyerfest club meeting in July - the club usually provides a fried chicken meal for the members.

You just made me SOOOO happy about the Lonestar ;) I guess we'll see you at Breyerfest then!
default_smile.png
Can you remind me when/where the meeting is? I'm not sure what I did with my newsletter... I might find it, but just in case!

Jessi

Can you remind me when/where the meeting is? I'm not sure what I did with my newsletter
- Info is also on the Bluegrass clubs website. The meeting is usually on Sunday afternoon.
BryerFest 2008

July 18, 19, & 20

What do we do???

We have demonstration times each day showing the versatility of the mini ( in the covered show ring where the Julep Cup is held).

We answer questions about our club and our horses.

We meet and greet and enjoy the atmosphere of horse-loving people.

Latest posts

Back