Kentucky Horse Park

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolcrit

Reaction score
AmA taking a 7 yr old and 11 yr to Park what are the must sees? do you camp??good or bad I have a small dog is it a problem they do Breyer horses what should we see the wagon ride? the 2-3 hour one Help if you can thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been, can't help you specifically but some friend went last month and said it was absolutely fantastic! Lots to see and do (it rained while they were there but it didn't slow them down). Have fun!

Is anyone going to the Games there in September? I've been so tempted but late now to get hotels, etc so I'll make the trip another time.

Jan

I am not a camper, but I do know that the Kentucky Horse Park has an extremely nice campground with a lot of amenities.

Can you board your dog or get a relative, a friend, or a neighbor to watch it for you while you are vacationing at the park? There are (black) paved walking paths throughout the entire park. It is cruel to walk your dog on (hot!) pavement for more than a couple of minutes at a time in the summer (and it is certainly summer in Kentucky as we are currently experiencing 100+ degree and 80+++% humidity days); even if your dog wears "booties", the pavement radiates heat that is absorbed into the body of your dog. You also cannot enjoy the beautiful, educational museum or the pony rides or the horseback rides or the horsedrawn trolley rides or the movie theatre if you have a dog in tow as dogs are not permitted at these and many other attractions at the park.

Breyer horses can be purchased at the park gift shop (but dogs are not allowed in or near the gift shop), they used to stock an excellent selection.

There is no "2-3 hour wagon ride" at the park; as far as I know, there has NEVER been. There is a 15-20 minute horsedrawn trolley ride (if they are in operation that day as they do not operate everyday or in extreme heat for the welfare of the horses).

I am out there a couple of days a week, but it has been ages since I've been to the main part of the park. Dogs are very welcome in the campground and on the back side of the park where the shows are, but you probably would want to leave the dog at the campsite if possible on the day you go to the museums. All of the museums are a lot of fun, as is the parade of breeds. It's also really neat to see Man O'War's grave. I always enjoyed the Draft Horse Barn as well. I am not sure if they are running the horse drawn tours right now, they've been a bit funny about that in recent years. Since it is peak season they may be back running, I know during winter they use a tractor instead. In normal years you would be almost guarenteed that there would be a show of some sort being held at the park, but since WEG is coming all of the shows past a certain date had to be canceled this year.
default_no.gif
Also be prepared for a lot of construction as they are working madly to get everything done before WEG. It looks a hundred times better than it did this time last year, but still is a bit of a mess in some parts. (The tourist part of the park should not be affected much).

The new outdoor stadium came together nicely and is rather impressive, and they've completed the new indoor too, but they usually keep it locked so you probably can't go explore the inside.

You will get a sneak peak of some of the marathon obstacles being used for WEG, as most of them have now been set. I don't know that you'd want to go out on the course to get a closer look, they like to keep people off, but most you can see from the roads. If you can take a look at Mount Mick, it is amazing and is located in the field directly across from the campground. You'll see a lot of white rope in the cross country fields, that is where they have roped off the galloping lanes for cross country and marathon.

Have fun, I still remember the first time I visited the KHP when I was here on vacation from CA, I had no idea how big a part of my life it would become back then! Although the trail ride concession is not that impressive, it might be worth taking, the first time I rode at the horse park was for a dressage clinic and I remember being in awe of the fact that I was riding at the KHP! It was a great feeling
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been twice, and it is my favorite place to go. The museums are incredible. The barns, the smells, everything. I hope to go again in a few years, and I hope the WEG is/are televised (on a station I can access). I loved wandering around the monuments and gravesites. The statues are fantastic...down to the veins and arteries showing through that thin thoughbred skin.

Enjoy! I would not, however, take my dog. There is too much to see and enjoy that cannot be seen with your pup in tow.

Wanted to add, since you said they like Breyer's, Breyer Fest is July 23-25th I believe. I have never gone as a spectator, but have ridden in demos at it several times and have wandered around some. They have a ton of awesome demos, lots of Breyer Horses, and the kids seem to really enjoy it.

Ive been and loved it, I too agree not to bring a dog when its that hot out, and yes there are good number of breyers there to my knowledge, then again, I did go during breyerfest so im not sure as too how many exactly, i would deffinatley see the parade of breeds and deffinatley tour the barns like the draft horse barn and all the museums they have onsight and check out all the monuments they have there as well, the wagon (tram rides maybe i dont remember) are really nice as well, they take you throught the park and tell about the history etc, I loved it and hope to go back there again someday, any one even remotley interested in horses will like it imho.

Are you going for Breyerfest? Be ready for a sensory overload! I went one time and even though I'm in the model horse hobby (showing, collecting, etc) I didn't really care for it. I saw many HOT dogs there and felt bad for each of them. Like someone mentioned, the paved walkways get very hot, and some people were oblivious to that! The Park itself was beautiful and all of the workers were very nice.
default_smile.png

I went for years to Breyerfest. The museums are awesome, there is so much to see!

Be aware that this year you can NOT bring your dog into the Park because of the WEG. Jane has to leave hers home this year because of that.

Lucy

I went for years to Breyerfest. The museums are awesome, there is so much to see!

Be aware that this year you can NOT bring your dog into the Park because of the WEG. Jane has to leave hers home this year because of that.

Lucy

Lucy
i called about the dog and they said it was okk the band had been lifted I must take the dog as we are going vacationing for a period of time I have called one kennel and will call more later they will take him for the day few more questions is one day enuff there are there other things to visit beside the park the fee for the park covers only the park it self?? some one mentioned about a golf cart rental as i have trouble walking do you know who to contact?? thanks for all the help everyone

The golf cart rental is through Dever's (Devers website). The dog ban starts on September 9th. I would think that one day would be enough, the tourist part of the park isn't that big, but there is a lot to see in the museums. I'm not sure what else you are wanting to see, if you will be in Lexington for a few days you might enjoy taking a horse farm tour (Blue Grass Tours), they take you onto some of the big TB farms which are amazing.

Latest posts

Back