kentucky here we come

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
We finally have an offer on our house here in Texas!! Yahoo! They want to close on December 31 (nothing I look forward to more than moving 800 miles over the Christmas holidays....NOT). We want to stay here until mid January because our 401k plan money goes in around that time and if we leave before than, we lose it. So I think we will be living in the RV for two weeks with two dogs and four cats and if we can't find a stable, 3 mini horses! But if we can make it thru this next two months, we'll be home free. The old Kentucky home, that is! We spent last week up there building the pole barn. We worked from sun up til sun down every day, only taking a short lunch break and did not finish. OMG what a lot of work. We have about half the roof left, and almost the entire back wall plus the giant metal door. Most of the barn is for the RV storage and for various hubby toys but I will have two stalls as well as a three sided run in. Plus the property already had a small horse barn on it which I will use to store hay. (It is quite far from the house so I don't want to use it for the horses as I can't see it from the house.) We are planning on renting a huge uhaul truck the week of December 7 and filling it to the absolute breaking point in an effort to get as much as possible out of this house and into that one. We'll take it and a load of hay in the horse trailer(wouldn't you know I just went out and bought all my winter hay-timing is everything LOL). We'll leave the uhaul up there and bring our truck back home and the horse trailer.

We signed the sales agreement early this morning and I cried like a baby. I love my house here but we really need more land, hence the Kentucky house.

I'll keep everyone posted on developments.

Hopefully by mid January we all will be in our new digs. That would be: me, hubby, all four worthless cats, one equally worthless long haired chihuahua, one rather large golden/pyrenees mix and all three horses.

Of I can survive living in a confined space for several weeks with all of them, I can survive anything. LOL

Shelley

It sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck with the RV thing. LOL. I wish we had more land here. Just not in the cards for us.

Congrats on selling your house in Texas! Do you have any pictures of your new place - would love to see.

Barbie

Where in Kentucky? I am in London which is in Southeastern Kentucky.

I must ask: Why did you settle on Kentucky? I am not originally from here and I positively hate it here.

How exciting! I know just how you feel. We bought our house in KY in June of 2002 while here on vacation, but had to wait for our horse in CA to sell before moving. We ended up moving over Christmas break and arrived on December 23, that was a great Christmas present! Congratulations, you'll love KY.

default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
congrats on the signing

Where in Kentucky? I am in London which is in Southeastern Kentucky.
I must ask: Why did you settle on Kentucky? I am not originally from here and I positively hate it here.

We wanted less house and more land and Texas is simply too expensive, not to mention the taxes are outrageous and it is incredibly hot in the summers. So we wanted something more temperate. We looked in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri. We found a great house on 17 1/2 acres in Kentucky and that was that! Since we are basically home bodies, being out in the boonies doesn't bother either one of us. We just want to retire, hubby wants to piddle in the barn on his race car and I want to play with my horsies and quilt. Location means nothing, it's the house and land that we were picky about.

Shelley

We wanted less house and more land and Texas is simply too expensive, not to mention the taxes are outrageous and it is incredibly hot in the summers. So we wanted something more temperate. We looked in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri. We found a great house on 17 1/2 acres in Kentucky and that was that! Since we are basically home bodies, being out in the boonies doesn't bother either one of us. We just want to retire, hubby wants to piddle in the barn on his race car and I want to play with my horsies and quilt. Location means nothing, it's the house and land that we were picky about.
Shelley
I can certainly appreciate that. Good land is hard to find anywhere I guess. My husband works just across the Kentucky-Tennessee border and we tried and tried and tried (for 2+ years) to find a decent house with decent land near there; we would find decent houses with horrible land and horrible houses with decent land and we just didn't want to build a house (and a barn of course) or do a major remodel on a house (no time with us both having more than full-time jobs at the time). We ended up just settling for a house in a subdivision on an acre of land (the subdivision's restrictions actually do allow horses, I could keep one "big" horse or a couple of Miniature Horses at home if I HAD to) and left my horses on my (retired) parent's farm and I commute to the farm daily after work to do barn chores (stall cleaning, washing and filling water buckets and tubs, etc.) and the evening feed (my mother is kind enough to do the morning feed for me). I really, really miss having the horses in my backyard.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Where in Kentucky? I love to find intelligent horse people near me. Right now a gal in Berea and a gal in Columbia are the closest people to me that I am aware of that are pretty neat (
default_saludando.gif
) and own Miniature Horses.

So does this mean I will get to meet some of you at the AMHA annual meeting in Louisville this coming February?

Sounds like you may be close to me, too!

I'm looking forward to meeting all these mini people someday soon. Do you all go to the show in Shelbyville in April? I've never been but would like to go next year.

Congratulations on selling your house in TX and finding a great place.

You know, I've heard other members rave about how great the mini horse people are, and I must say I am so grateful for this webcite. I was in an absolute panic mode about where to board the horses for two weeks between when we sell and when we move and Field of Dreams has so graciously said I could board the boys there for two weeks. You have no idea how relieved I am. I absolutely cannot thank them enough. Over the years members have offered support and incouragement and this is yet another example of how wonderful you all are.

And on another note, the buyers of my house here in Texas wanted to know if I would consider selling one of my horses to them. Uh....duh........I didn't realize people sell their children. LOL. Why do they think we are moving in the first place???? It is to get more land for the horses. If I was going to sell some of them, I could have stayed here. Geez, I never will understand "city folk".

Congratulations on selling your place. I've had mine on the market for a year or so now and there just aren't a whole lot of people looking for acreage around here. Hope my turn comes soon....before I'm too darned old to move back to Florida....where I shoulda stayed while I was there.
default_no.gif

Sounds like you may be close to me, too! I'm looking forward to meeting all these mini people someday soon. Do you all go to the show in Shelbyville in April? I've never been but would like to go next year.

Congratulations on selling your house in TX and finding a great place.

I am hoping to make that show in April too.

Latest posts

Back