Keeping safe from wildlife

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouburgia

Reaction score
I was just wondering... Here in the netherlands we have only one slightly venomous snake, and that's it.

Our largest predator is a fox, our largest bird of prey a sea eagle. We gon't have dangerous spiders, scorpions or whatever.

I know dat over seas the wildlife is very differant. Cugars, snakes, spiders, bears, wolves, etc.

How do you keep yourself, your kids, your pets safe?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have many poisonous snakes around us, but I have only seen one once, and we border range land. We keep our grass short and the landscape around the house is trimmed so it does not touch the ground, if that makes sense, so no hiding under there. I have never seen a scorpion, and my 9 year old son has gone looking! I have seen a ton of black widows, but never had a problem, they don't go out of your way to bite. The trangulas just pass through and are pretty neat.

I know two poeple that had a puppy and a cat taken by an owl. I would imagine the hawks could be a problem, but my dogs are to big for them. I have heard we have cougars around here, but have never seen one, not sure what I would do there! There are some rocky areas, but where I am it is very flat. We do have coyotes, but there is plenty of small varmin and rabbits for them they do not seem interested in going over our fences. The range land has barb wire along the fence line, we have an iron fence a bit taller and a few feet back.

For the most part, wildlife, unless they become accustomed to people, will avoid yards. The bears and coyotes are the most inclined to become habituated to foraging/hunting in backyards but even then they very rarely are a risk for people. Usually coyotes are a threat to small animals (cats/small dogs) and chickens etc but prefer not to be around if a person is present. Bears are great foragers and will search thro garbage cans and the like, pick fruit from back yard trees and eat the seed from bird feeders but its pretty uncommon to have one that won't leave if shouted at. There are the occasional rogues but that is almost always because of human carelessness or stupidity or desperation on the animals part. Our livestock can be at risk to cougars and other large predators and plenty of calves are lost to coyotes around here but most farmers keep rifles for dispatching any predators that choose to make livestock their preferred prey.

we make sure all our animals are tucked in the barn at night.

Had coyotes early spring right outside our barn. so not taken any changes here.

Vigilance.

We don't go out after dark without a light. Small animals protected sides and top. Firearms, for emergencies. Wariness, turning over wood or boulders.

We just helped a neighbor move several ricks of oak firewood. Several brown recluse spiders harbored there. We wore gloves and watched carefully.

The interesting diversity of wildlife outweighs the hazards.

What is your venomous snake in the Nethlerlands?

We don't have any poisonous snakes here, thank goodness.

However we have a very high and very active predator population. Cougars, bears, big packs of coyotoes, few wolves, bobcats...etc..etc...

Best way to get some sleep at night, is tall fencing with some serious bite to it.

nightpasturefencefinishedB.jpg

At some point will be moving to VA... will most likely have to fence what ever we buy. Another worry I have, is all the poisonous snakes there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Delaware near the Atlantic Ocean and about 90 miles south of Philadelphia, PA.No scorpions or poisionous snakes. No big cats or bears or wolves.we are just now getting an occasional coyote in the area, but nothing usually bigger than a fox.Great area for me to live since I don't do snakes-even black or any other color.I love it here on my very safe farm.

I live in Delaware near the Atlantic Ocean and about 90 miles south of Philadelphia, PA.No scorpions or poisionous snakes. No big cats or bears or wolves.we are just now getting an occasional coyote in the area, but nothing usually bigger than a fox.Great area for me to live since I don't do snakes-even black or any other color.I love it here on my very safe farm.

Same here in mid Michigan. Nothing to worry about besides the cold. lol

Shari -- while VA has several varieties of poisonous snakes, they tend to remain within their own type of habitat. I've lived here for over 55 yrs and have seen only 2 rattlers, probably 3 cottonmouths (I was at the swamp) and maybe 1 copperhead.

I hate snakes!!! But, truth is you see these poisonous ones only in their own areas. In the mountains a few are there. So, you have to just be aware of what habitat they like.

Where I am -- about 30 miles from "The Great Dismal Swamp"-- there is also the occassional bear that leaves their preferred area of the swamps. Mostly they are the young males being driven from/by their moms, LOL. We have a large white tail deer population due to the corn, peanuts, soybeans and wheat grown. Yep, some fine tasting venison! Since the buffet is so good, the deer are prolific. Actually, I see more skunk and fox than most other small animals. So, don't dispair. Might be a few bobcat in the area you will be residing.

Out west, those guys have issues with the big game...and their predators.

Bess, I can fence out the big predators but not those snakes.
default_new_shocked.gif

Wish there was some way to find out what poisonous snakes are in the areas we will be looking. Essex, King George, parts of Caroline and Westmoreland Counties.

DH is staying in Montross right now and when he was kayaking he saw a water moccasin during the summer.

DH was stationed on the Top Gun base in San Diego and the Rattlers were a pain to deal with. Had to pick up the trash can away from you because baby rattlers like to be under them, rattlers in the garden, Rattlers in the horses shavings... they were everywhere. Horse people always wore snake proof half chap leathers on ones legs.

I just don't want to live in an area, that has that kind of snake population again.

It is good you have seen so few. My Grandmother was a big believer that Turkeys would keep the poisonous snakes off the property, so I plan to have a few, along with chickens.

Am spoiled in the NW,, no worries about snakes.. is priceless!

My son Dan is a hardcore Redneck.

I'm never worried when he's around.
default_wub.png

I know you asked your question seriously but it reminded me of when cousins from England came over and we asked them what they would like to see while in the states. Mind you at the time we lived in Los Angeles in a big suburban metropolis and thought their answer was absolutely hysterical. They wanted to take a wagon train across the US, see a ghost town and see an Indian. They had no concept of how big our country is and that we have made big changes since the days of westerns they had seen on tv. We took a road trip and they got to see it, albeit not in a covered wagon, and they did manage to see a ghost town and an Indian.

As mentioned before, our country is vast and the predators do pretty much stay in their chosen habitat but it is man who is the one encroaching on their territory that lends to the problems. You see animals so infrequently that it is pretty cool when you do see them. Terry and I spend a lot of time roaming the tops of the Cascades and backwoods and even then only get glimpses of wild animals. Heck we haven't even seen a deer during hunting season the last couple years.

I agree with you wcr, its enjoyable to see the wildlife. Left alone they really don't bother anyone much. We have a moose that lives right behind our stallion pens all winter and another who prefers to be closer to my house. The worst thing they have done is pull the fence wires off in the big pastures. Since I don't run my minis there it isn't a huge concern, just need to put hem up again before turning any cattle or saddle horses (neither of which we own anymore) out. We have had bears walk thro our mares pen but they ignored my horses and the horses for the most part ignored them. Only slight curiosity on their part (I think they thought it was one of the dogs lol) I've seen mama bears with cubs dining in my hay field (they like the clover flowers) while out driving my one mare but again, they weren't really too concerned with us (we didn't try to approach of course, rather turned and gave mama her space...I don't mess with mothers) One of the best things about living where we do is the chance to watch and enjoy nature in all its various expressions but we did have a young guest from Germany one fall who wanted to see Canada's famous wildlife and we couldn't find a single thing LOL. She did get to see a bear in an urban area (on a trail in a park) but out here she didn't see more than a few birds and a squirrel or two. She also wanted to see the Aurora Borealis (northern lights) that she'd read about. We had trouble convincing her she would need to go much much farther north or be here in deep winter on a very rare (and bitterly cold & clear) night. She had to leave after only 2 weeks and was disappointed not to have seen more of the wonderful things she had heard about. Now that I think about it I think it may have been hunting season lol

Here in northern Utah we have lots of deer, wild turkeys, pheasants, hawks, eagles, rabbits, all of which we see regularly, and also mountain lions and a few wolves, which we don't see, since they tend to stay in the mountains and only venture out in the dark of night. There are rattlesnakes in the area, or so I've heard, but we've never seen one around here either.

We have two Livestock Guardian Dogs who live with the horses and protect them from predators, and we have rifles to back them up. I'm not afraid.
default_wink.png

I know you asked your question seriously but it reminded me of when cousins from England came over and we asked them what they would like to see while in the states. Mind you at the time we lived in Los Angeles in a big suburban metropolis and thought their answer was absolutely hysterical. They wanted to take a wagon train across the US, see a ghost town and see an Indian. They had no concept of how big our country is and that we have made big changes since the days of westerns they had seen on tv. We took a road trip and they got to see it, albeit not in a covered wagon, and they did manage to see a ghost town and an Indian.

As mentioned before, our country is vast and the predators do pretty much stay in their chosen habitat but it is man who is the one encroaching on their territory that lends to the problems. You see animals so infrequently that it is pretty cool when you do see them. Terry and I spend a lot of time roaming the tops of the Cascades and backwoods and even then only get glimpses of wild animals. Heck we haven't even seen a deer during hunting season the last couple years.
I will gladly send you some of our deer. They are too thick.

My English relatives also wanted to see some Indians. That is not a problem in Oklahoma. We showed them buffalo and elk also. And the wild turkeys in flocks near the roads.

A Canadian visitor wanted to see a rattlesnake. We didn't happen to have any live ones slithering around at the time. Couldn't arrange for a nice scorpion either. What rotten luck!

A Canadian visitor wanted to see a rattlesnake. We didn't happen to have any live ones slithering around at the time. Couldn't arrange for a nice scorpion either. What rotten luck!
LOL, where ever a visitor is from they want to see what they've read about or seen on TV I guess. Funny how scarce the beasties can be if you're actually looking for them
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I live in Southern Maryland, and we have a few coyotes which the cattle farmers are dealing with, my worst threat with the minis are running domestic dogs. We use a rifle and shot them if their owners don't respond to our phone calls. After reading some of the other posts it is funny that your foreign visitors all want to see Native Americans. I am Cherokee, Irish & English but proud of my Native American Heritage. When I went to AMHR Nationals a few years back there was another member form North Dakota that recognized my heritage right away. she asked me if I was Native and we hit if off right away. Next time your friends want to see Native Americans tell them they walk among you, you just can't tell any more.

You are right, there are tons of people in the US that are mixed heritage.. Euro and Native American. I get it from both sides of my family and we honestly do not think anything of it.

Until we have someone visit from Europe. LOL

In Virginia you would have Rattle Snakes and Copperheads. Coastal area you might have water moccasins. That being said chances are you will never see any of them. Copperheads are not deadly, painful yes. I had one dog get bit twice on the face, she loved to hunt snakes and killed a 6 ft copperhead (biggest one I have ever seen) and a 9 ft king snake. (not happy about that one) while the bites are painful and cause swelling they cause little to no tissue damage. Rattle Snakes are much more serious but once again the change of getting bit is slim to none. Snakes go out of their way NOT to bite you, venom is for catching prey, they need it to survive.

My biggest worry has always been stray dogs, coyote are all over now but for the most part leave large stock alone, they prefer smaller prey.

Latest posts

Back