Karen's Journey - My Sister's ALS (Lou Gerigs Disease)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie Ballard

Reaction score
Many of you know my sister, Karen, was diagnosed with ALS, Lou Gerigs Disease August, 2005 and passed January 17, 2005 at 59 yrs old.

The ALS Director loved a picture that I'd sent her of Karen with Dooley (Onekas Definitely Dandy). She asked me to document Karen's story...which is long (considering how much I talk...its understandable my writing would be long too...lol).

We were so happy to see they had used my story of "Karen's Journey" on the front page of their website...and used the picture of Dooley with Karen....I just wanted to share it here too. I don't know if ALS has touched anyone on this forum...personally through family or friends...but it is a dreadful disease. I know Karen would feel so pleased to know her story is being shared and may help someone, somewhere.

Karen's Journey...ALS

Last edited by a moderator:
Connie,

Have you ever read or heard of the book called 'tuesdays with morie'?? Its about a man who has ALS, i think i read it two years ago for a class. If you have no read it, read it, its good. I am not a book person, i can write ...just not read due to time but i really recomend it!

Love that picture
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Beautiful story Connie....Thank you for sharing it with everyone...I know Karen is smiling at what her little sister has grown up to be.....Your friend......Angie

I lost my Dad to ALS back in 1975 he was only 47 years old.

Its not something that I like to think about much.

connie that is such a beautiful tribute to you sister. reminded me so much of my sister that i lost

Kay

I sat crying reading this. An amazing well written tribute to your sister that I know will touch everyone that reads it.

Kim

My uncle lost his long time partner to ALS and I was there watching him go from an active, healthy man to a weak and frail skeletan of a man in less than 3 yrs time (they thought for a long time he had MS and only less than 6 months before he passed finally correctly diagnosed him with ALS). Horrible, horrible disease!!

I am so sorry for your loss, Connie!

(wanted to add, I haven't had time to read the story, yet, but will later when I am home from work).

Edited to add: OMG...I cried like a baby reading that story!! Beautifully written, brought me in with every detail and of course, the very sad "ending"...
default_sad.png

ahh Connie, several of those events I remembered you writing me in your emails. I know it had to be emotionally rough for you to walk through these events from the beginning to the end again - tears falling on your smiles. Good that you put this in writing to pass down through the family members too. Karen was blessed also to have you as a sister! You, Tim & mom take care. Lee & I love you all!

[SIZE=12pt]What a beautiful story about a really sad time. This story is a wonderful tribute to your sister, Karen. God bless![/SIZE]

Barbie

Hi Connie,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your lovely and brave sister, karen. Your account of this horrible disease is very accurate. I too unfortunately have had first hand experience with ALS. My brother in law passed almost a year ago to ALS at the age of 55. My sister and her husband sold their home in another state and came to live with my husband and I so we could help. We cared for him in our home until the last 10 days of his life when he was hospitalized with pneumonia. I will not go into details but how the hospital handled his passing was shocking and disrespectful. He too was courageous until the end and like your beloved sister knew he was going to a better place. HUGS to all of you, Connie, Jo and LindaL.

Linda

It is amazing to me, how many people have been touched by ALS-Lou Gerigs Disease.

Linda...I'm sorry to hear how your brother-in-laws last days ended up not being handled as it should have been. We were fortunate to have Karen at a facility where a family member worked and Hospice with us the last few days around the clock.

Leeana...I did see a few minutes of the movie Tuesdays with Morrie...but never knew what he had....didnt see all of the movie.

It was an honor to share Karens Journey with others...felt like she was watching over my shoulder as I wrote it...would have meant so much to her to know others might learn or find comfort in handling what happened through our experience.

Sorry to hear about your sister.

I had a friend and long time 4-H horse leader die last year from ALS. She was a wonderful person, great friend to all, loved her horses and left behind a husband, and 2 children, one just out of college and the other just starting college. She was about 52 when she passed. Missed by all.

Latest posts

Back