My surprise, from my sister...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hi there,

As some of you know I have been searching for a "guard dog" for our farm for many months now. I've looked into several breeds and spoken to many local breeders among the Rhodesian Ridgeback, Anatoleon Shephard & Australian Shephard breeds. Always being most drawn to the Aussies, because of hubby's pal, "Hinky".

We've had Hinky for almost 12 years now, who came to us at 6 weeks old. We had originally name him "Waylon" as we also had his litter mate brother that we named "Willie", but years ago when we moved to Maine we gave Willie to another family.

The story behind his name change from Waylon to Hinky, is a whole other story, but FUNNY...sort of, LOL.

Anyways, Waylon (now Hinky), came with us to Maine, along with my Sheltie, "Windy". Sadly Windy passed away at the age of 13 a couple years ago, we also had her since she was just 8 weeks. Windy was my soul mate. My heart was crushed the day she passed away.

Well, then along came Rex, my Mini Schnauzer, who was given to me by a lady I worked with, to help me overcome my grief of losing my precious Windy. He was just a little 10month old puppy then, and is 4 years old now. (We have the same birthday too.) Rex has filled a special place in my heart all his own, as I don't feel any other could ever fill Windy's place, where she is forever etched in my heart.

Rex though, is such a sweet boy and so much fun to play with, he's a real character, full of personality. He makes a great watch dog, in that he does bark when strangers come to the door, or when "critters of the wild" trek across our yard and pastures. (We have deer, bears, fox, coyotes, and a whole bunch of others, too many to name them all, out here). But, he's not much for being able to provide "protection" so to speak. He'd LOVE on any intruder, long before he would ever even have a notion to "guard against", LOL.

So, with Hinky getting on in his years now, hubby and I know that it's been nearing time for us to seek another to fill the job that Hinky has taken up, instinctively, for our family all these many years now, as a GUARD over our farm and family. Loving, MOST DEFINATELY and primarily, but "instinctively protective" as well.

So we've been looking into different breeds in hopes of finding one that will somehow fill those "paws" when time calls.

Well, then, this past November we came across a little girl who hubby fell head over heals for, and he just had to have her. That was when we got our new Border Collie pup, Trixi. She's 11months old now, and will be 1 year next month. She's much like Rex. CHOC FULL O'LOVIN', LOL, but as for potential to "protect"...well, I think she would "herd up" any intruder and possibly nip their heels to keep them from running off, as opposed to RUNNING THEM OFF, LOL. Then, she'd do like Rex, and just LOVE on them, if they'd have her, LOL!

So, our search for a "Farm & Family Guard" continued....

Well, then two weeks ago...along came Tracker. His story, as most of you know, is on another thread here on the Back Porch.

Now, as for Tracker as a guard...well...he might be "close". We'll see yet, I guess. He is gaining strength, and getting more livelier by the day. But I don't know much about the breed, to know if they have "protective" instincts or not. For the moment, I know when he runs around our property, he is very inclined to chase the small critters and "tree them", like the raccoons and squirrels, etc. But, I don't know how he'd react when the Bears start roaming through this summer and into the fall. We'll see I suppose. I do know he will definately (or try his darndest) to get them tree'd, and let us know with his trademark hound howl that he as a critter cornered. But, if push came to shove...what would his instincts be if called to "protect" our farm and family here. Same, for "human intruders", I'm not sure what would be instinctive for him, but hopefully that's something we'll never have to find out.

Anyways, last week, as I was talking to my sister about how Tracker was coming along after being here those first few days, we got to talking about how our search for a "farm and family protective GUARD" was going. I told her, well, we have 4 dogs now, and they all have the "LOVE" department down pat, but as for guarding...poor old Hinky is still standing all alone in that department. Tracker "might" be able to offer "some" help, but not unless and until he gains his own health and strength...which he is doing remarkably so, so far. In the mean time, we are still searching for "the one".

I told her, after talking to several local breeders of different breeds, I'd really LOVE to find another Aussie, like Hinky. As I know the breed well through him. He is trustworthy, reliable, LOVING, but when times come for the need, he will stand his ground to protect us all, without hesitation & without question! Yet, still gentle, kind and loving with us and our horses. THAT is what I hope to find that can partner with him, till his time comes (heaven forbid) to leave this world. Then, continue the stand for him when time comes...heaven forbid.

Hinky is a Blue Merle, so I told her that I would LOVE to find a Red Merle, but just like Hinky in every other way...except, I'd love to find a GIRL, because I have a special name in mind and heart that I would love to name her.

Well, then this past Monday, my sister called me... "I HAVE A DOG FOR YOU, IF YOU STILL WANT ANOTHER". Hubby and I talked it over, and I called my sister back, and said WE'LL COME OVER
default_aktion033.gif

My sister said, stay there, we'll bring HER to you! Yep, SHE's A GIRL...and she's a RED MERLE, and in every other way, she is exactly just like Hinky!
default_wub.png

Well...except just one....and this puts a lump in my throat just thinking of it...but my gosh, when she cuddles with me...she brings my Windy all over again. When I feel her sweet snuggles, it feels just like my Windy is hugging my heart all over again. Be still, my heart.

I LOVE THIS SWEET, PRECIOUS LITTLE GIRL, with the most stunning baby blue eyes I have ever seen! So crisp, clear sky blue...with just a hint of green marbled in them. Absolutely just MELTS me every time I look into them.

And, WHEW DOGGIE....will she STAND HER GROUND!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

So...with her...our search has now come to an end! THANK YOU LORD! THANK YOU WITH ALL MY HEART to my sister, Becky, and our friend, Angel, who brought her to me! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Well...here she is, our new farm and family guarding protector, & Hinky's new partner...

Meet "Bindi"...
default_wub.png

Bindi-1.jpg

I love the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, and was heartbroken when he was taken from this world. But, when I saw his beautiful little girl, so bravely step right up and immediately begin to fill her daddy's shoes, never hesitated for even a moment, just knew right off, that a very important job needed done, and her daddy could no longer do, so she took it upon herself to pick up right where he left off, so full of love, so vibrant..so very, very brave, and her name is "BINDI".
default_wub.png

THAT is the very spirit I hoped to find for our new "family member"... so when my sister found this beautiful little "Aussie sheila" for me, I could name her nothing, but "Bindi".
default_wub.png

Here she is giving ear and face nibbles to hubby, ROFL!

Bindi-2.jpg

{{{MAJORHAPPYSIGHS}}}

So, that's it... we now have FIVE dogs.
default_new_shocked.gif

But, EACH with their own special role to fill as lifelong members of our family. :love

{{{MAJORHAPPYSIGHS}}}
default_wub.png
{{{ILOVEYOUSIS!!!}}}
default_wub.png

Thanks so much for bearing with me as I try to share and shout m'joy!
default_saludando.gif

Hugs,

Tanya & Lee (Bindi, Rex, Tracker, Hinky & Trixi, and all the horses too, LOL!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Tanya ....what a little character!!!! She certainly looks like a happy little girl all smiles in those pictures. Congratulations and much love and fun with her. Your doggie family certainly is growing....what fun they must all have being brothers and sisters!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Cheyenne. Yes, our doggie family has grown, and when my sister called about her, we were both a little apprehensive, as we just acquired Tracker 2 weeks ago. But, hubby and I talked it over, and we decided to go ahead. But, this was it for us though, LOL.

If any other doggies come our way, we know we won't be able to take them in to our "home and family". Though, if it were ever another situation like how Tracker came to us, we would not be able to turn them away. We would most likely still take them and try to help, but would also try to find a home for them too. Tracker though, he is here to stay, Lord willing.
default_wub.png

You are so right, Bindi is the perfect name for her. Steve Irwin's "on stage" personality may have been a bit over the top for some people, but his heart was absolutely in the right place. If you ever saw them together, you could see that Bindi was 100% "Daddy's little girl." Your Bindi may not be Hinky's daughter, but it sounds like she is just like him in all the ways that count!

In a different vein, Tracker doesn't look to be pure Walker. His ears don't look quite long enough, and I've never seen one with brindling. But if he's like the hounds I have known, he'll bay at anything that moves! He may not defend the place, but you'll know something is out there, for sure!
default_biggrin.png

Hi Bunny,

Yes, I thought he might not be a purebred, or possibly even just a "pet quality" of the breed at best. Either way, doesn't really matter, LOL. He has a heart of gold, and LOVES going on the trails with me. He's an awesome trail buddy, as he continues to gain his strength.
default_wub.png

He is definately an awesome "watchdog" too, LOL. Sure gives the coons and squirrels a scare around here, LOL.
default_wink.png

Tanya, I am sooo happy that you got such a sweet new aussie girl to join your family! Sometimes I wonder why everyone doesn't have one, they're such good dogs. Your post lifted my heart after losing my sweet girl today. You are so good to have adopted good Tracker and now this girl to learn the ropes from Hinky. Thanks for your good work and loving your dogs like family.

Jayne

Sounds like fate to me!!! So glad you found your girl, and a new openingin your heart. Maybe Windy knew you were ready, and sent Bindi to you. Enjoy your girl.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

CONGRATS SIS!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

What a wonderful story
default_yes.gif
....Aussies are my favortie breed of dog, partial since we had our Laddie Girl for 14 wonderful years. They are wonderful dogs and ENJOY!

LOVE YA

{{{{{BIG OL HUGGERS}}}}

Jenny

Latest posts

Back