Kandilands Texas Taffy (RIP)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhpminis

Reaction score
Otis Orchards, Washington (just east of Spokane)
Went out to feed this morning to find "Molly" down.

She was a grand ol mare, not much to look at but she sure could go in a Roadster class.

Not going to go into details but she is buried under a tree up in the woods behind the house.

Good bye Molly, I am sorry I couldn't make it better this time.

Aww, I'm sorry, Annette. That is so sad. You did what you could, and she is now "all better."

Liz

Oh Annette, I am so very sorry.
default_sad.png

Oh Annette I am so very sorry I wish I had words that were better and could help take away your sadness

I know she was well loved and she knows she was well loved she will always be watching over your farm.

default_cheekkiss.gif

Your heart must be breaking. My thoughts are with you.

xox Leonie xox

Thanks everyone, I know you all know how I feel.

I sat and stroked her neck as she laid in the sun under a tamarack tree in the front yard and looked at me and told me it was time. Yes it is hard, yes it is hard to watch, yes it broke my heart. Being that it was a holiday, getting a vet out to do the deed was not going to happen, the two that would have come were out of town with family, my poor husband had to do it. I am so sorry he had to be the one. He has a very soft heart and said no at first but after trying for a couple hours to make her comfortable with every drug I had in the barn and IV fluids to no avail, we realized it was the kindest thing to do.

A dear friend just sent me this, I had never seen it before. It is aimed at dogs but it applies to all animals I think. I feel I did this.

The Ten Commandments For Pet Owners

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any Separation from will be painful for me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me...it's crucial to my well being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up for punishment. You have your work, your friends and your entertainment, I have only you!!

5. Be aware that However you treat me, I'll never forget it.

6. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

7. Remember before you hit me, that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones of your hand, but I choose Not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something may be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right foods, I've been out in the sun too long or my heart is getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old...you too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it" or, "Let it happen in my absence" Everything is easier for me if You are there. Above all, remember that I Love you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I am also grateful that Regis will have such a compassionate and caring lady looking out for him. Best regards, Janet Day

I am so sorry for your loss and the heartbreak you and your husband are going through. That poem brought tears to my eyes.
default_sad.png

Thanks everyone.

And Lori, I am not blaming the vet at all. Yes it would have been nice to let someone else be the person who actually did the deed but the outcome is the same. My husband was very careful and it was very quick. She was very doped up and not scared at all when she went. They just are so trusting. OK crying again now.

This is kind of a chronic thing with this mare and we knew it would come to this some day. She has always been able to pull out of it but this time she just couldnt or didnt want to. We did everything a vet would have done if they were here. I have IV fluids, I have pain meds and sedation. Also I was on the phone with my vet who was out of town, she feels bad that she was not here.

I didn't think you meant to blame the vet just wish the vet could have been there to help you both

again so sorry for your loss, and sorry if I caused tears again with your response

(((Hugs)))

No worries Lori. I knew what you meant.
default_wub.png

My vet is great and has been here through a lot of different emotional roller coasters. We usually come out well together. She was very sorry too.

Honestly, if I were a vet, I would go home very sad on the days I had to put an animal down so I dont know why we feel it is there duty to do it. They have feelings to. Early in my adulthood, I wanted to be a vet. This part of it was the one thing that always held me back from pursuing it. It just rips my heart out.

I did have a very good friend come over to help me and stayed till the end. Thanks Sharon
default_wub.png

Annette, Sorry about your mare, sorry for what you're going through and sorry for what your husband had to do. It's never easy, but you know you did the right thing for her.
default_wub.png
Because you loved her.
default_wub.png

Back