Just sold my last...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluv777

Reaction score
My heart is breaking and falling into the big hole I have inside me now. I had to sell my horses due to losing my job (a gorgeous Q horse I raised from a baby and my mini and mini mule). They are all in better situations than what I could give them now. I just pray it won't be too long before horses are back in my life again and to stay!

So sorry that you had to sell your horses but am very glad that you realized they would be in a better place until your situation picks up... That is what true love is...

I know youre feeling sad right now but if your situation is bad then you have done a good thing for your babies ,things will eventually pic up and one day you will have another horse to love

I'm so sorry (((HUGS)))) to you

You have had to do what we all hope never happens, but if it helps any at all you did whats best for your horses and maybe soon you'll be on your feet again and can get them back or get a new horse to love.

Good luck and I hope life turns around for you soon.

I'm so sorry I hope ur situation turns to the good.

I am so sorry to hear this. I had to do the same thing several years ago. It made me crazy being horseless for the first time in my life. But, good did come of it. I was able to stop, reorganize, and I ended up with a horse of a lifetime when I was able to get back into it. I wish the same for you.

That would be so hard. I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope things turn around for you quickly! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

I am so sorry that you are going through this heart break. Please have faith that things will turn around and, if you want horses in your life again, they will be there.

11 years ago, I went through a similar life altering period. I was unexpectedly alone, no income, trying to support my beautiful retired Show QH, his side kick Hackney pony, my home, barn and land. I had to re-organize my life, gave my equines away to wonderful homes, worked a full time night job and attended Nursing School during the day. At 50 years old! I cried every morning and night as I drove past my barn. Those horses were my only family and they were gone too. I know about that hole inside of you that you feel right now.

Today, I go out to my barn and play with 3 wonderful minis that came into my life as I was ready for them. It is different. No long trail rides or "big horse" events. Different, but Better! When all that stuff happened so long ago, I was tired all the time, trying to take care of too much, worrying about money, bills, chores, all the time. The years between having horses gave me a chance to catch my breath, although I did not realize it at the time.

It seems to me when I look back, things have a way of working out. So take a deep breath, cry all you want, and know that I have tears running down my cheeks for you right now. Try to believe that things will be even better in the future.

My heart goes out to you. I feel so bad for you! I have such a personal relationship with each of my horses, I can't imagine life without them. But do know that sometimes things happen and there is no other choice! Big hugs to you...

Maybe you can find someone locally that has some horses they are willing to share sometimes? Can you stay connected through your local mini clubs or something? I know there is always room for volunteers at events, etc. Just some thoughts for keeping them in your life...

My heart is breaking and falling into the big hole I have inside me now. I had to sell my horses due to losing my job (a gorgeous Q horse I raised from a baby and my mini and mini mule). They are all in better situations than what I could give them now. I just pray it won't be too long before horses are back in my life again and to stay!
That must have been really hard for you. I'm hoping the new owners would allow you to visit them. Maybe someday you would be able to buy them back when things are better for you. It's so hard letting them go, I know.....but the good news is they are safe and will continue to be well cared for. You sound like a responsible owner. Best of luck to you
default_smile.png

You guys are just awesome. I definitely will check into the volunteering idea. I am able to visit my Q horse and mini mule if I want to. I have first rights to buy Q horse and mini horse back if/when the new owners need to sell them. Actually the person that took my mini horse said I could buy her back in the future if I want to. So that helps a lot, but oh! they were all special in their own ways... and who knows??? you never know, so I'm trying not to be so sad, but I sure miss 'em.
default_wub.png

I am so sorry you are going through this, but am glad that you are able to visit with some of your horses. I was going to suggest that if you have friends nearby with minis, you could work with some of their horses. If you are close to some of the shows, go and spend some time there too. Hugs!

Barb

I GOT ONE BACK!!! It's a long story but I was recently able to buy back "my" mini mule. You all know how I can't even put into words how happy it makes me. I am hoping to get a little place of my own in the spring so I can keep her (and one other something little) with me fulltime. Right now I "board" her where she was born and has other mini friends. The owners of the place are incredible. I AM SO FORTUNATE! Even if my little mule, boarded, is the "only" equine I ever have again - I AM SO HAPPY!

I have a question though: She (her name is Ceci short for Cecelia) is three years old and pretty tiny. I don't think she weighs 300. She's a scrapper, of course, but I am wondering if a mini mule can be too small to drive. I have just started to ground drive her and have worked with her quite a bit (on the ground of course!). She seems to really like being ground driven! It would be fun to have her pull a cart but I wonder if the weight would be too much for her. Frankly I wouldn't ride in it myself and let her pull me around until I lose at least 50 pounds,,, but I am wondering how much can a mini mule pull? Or any mini for that sake? (barely 32" high)

Thanks and I am so happy to be back and learn SO much from you guys.

I feel for you, but please understand that you are not alone. My husband lost his job in 2008, we lived on our savings then he went back to work and got laid off again, back to living off of savings. Now our savings is all gone. He has since gotten another job, but at less pay and no benefits, the hospitilaztion alone is killing us, and it doesn't cover medications. He needs to take plavix every day, and it is $590. for a 90 day supply. I gave up on my celebrex. I just applied for maedicare so hope it goes through as I'm retired. Hubby will never be able to retire now, thanks to the stock market and this dang recession. My daughters husband has been laid off for so long they are losing their home, and have to vacate by Jan. so sad. I've been trying to scale down and rehome some of my babies, but so far no one wants to take them, shame. so if things don't improve I may be in your shoes. Words of encouragement, things will get better, you may be suffering now, but they will improve, just hang in there.

I feel for you, but please understand that you are not alone. My husband lost his job in 2008, we lived on our savings then he went back to work and got laid off again, back to living off of savings. Now our savings is all gone. He has since gotten another job, but at less pay and no benefits, the hospitilaztion alone is killing us, and it doesn't cover medications. He needs to take plavix every day, and it is $590. for a 90 day supply. I gave up on my celebrex. I just applied for maedicare so hope it goes through as I'm retired. Hubby will never be able to retire now, thanks to the stock market and this dang recession. My daughters husband has been laid off for so long they are losing their home, and have to vacate by Jan. so sad. I've been trying to scale down and rehome some of my babies, but so far no one wants to take them, shame. so if things don't improve I may be in your shoes. Words of encouragement, things will get better, you may be suffering now, but they will improve, just hang in there.
My heart goes out to you. My son and I are living on little - had to go to food pantry yesterday. Hurts but thank God it's there. Problems affording meds also for me and my aging pets also... I do have a decent job, just pays way less than the one I had before. BUT... see below:

I GOT ONE BACK!!! It's a long story but I was recently able to buy back "my" mini mule. You all know how I can't even put into words how happy it makes me. I am hoping to get a little place of my own in the spring so I can keep her (and one other something little) with me fulltime. Right now I "board" her (for $50/month) where she was born and has other mini friends. The owners of the place are incredible. I AM SO FORTUNATE! Even if my little mule, boarded, is the "only" equine I ever have again - I AM SO HAPPY!

I have a question though: She (her name is Ceci short for Cecelia) is three years old and pretty tiny. I don't think she weighs 300. She's a scrapper, of course, but I am wondering if a mini mule can be too small to drive. I have just started to ground drive her and have worked with her quite a bit (on the ground of course!). She seems to really like being ground driven! It would be fun to have her pull a cart but I wonder if the weight would be too much for her. Frankly I wouldn't ride in it myself and let her pull me around until I lose at least 50 pounds,,, but I am wondering how much can a mini mule pull? Or any mini for that sake? (barely 32" high)

I'm so sorry about the other two, but I'm so happy you got your mini mule back! I hope things continue to turn around for you. ((Hugs))

II have a question though: She (her name is Ceci short for Cecelia) is three years old and pretty tiny. I don't think she weighs 300. She's a scrapper, of course, but I am wondering if a mini mule can be too small to drive. I have just started to ground drive her and have worked with her quite a bit (on the ground of course!). She seems to really like being ground driven! It would be fun to have her pull a cart but I wonder if the weight would be too much for her. Frankly I wouldn't ride in it myself and let her pull me around until I lose at least 50 pounds,,, but I am wondering how much can a mini mule pull? Or any mini for that sake? (barely 32" high)

Glad you were able to get one back.

I don't have any that small, but I know many drive minis as small as 30" and they are quite capable of pulling an adult. To make it easiest for them; a good, well-balanced cart and a properly fitted harness are a must, and level, flat ground helps a lot. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back