Just had a garage sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
I am wrapping up my weekend long garage sale. I ran it as the PRE-SELLING THE FARM YARD SALE. We have cleaned out the shop buildings and barn and gathered up all sorts of household stuff that we can sure live without. I hate the work and I sure hate boxing up the leftovers. Most will go to charity and likely some I need to put on ebay.

But I have sure met some nice people, many living close to me that my path has never crossed before. One lady was telling me they have grown more eggplant than they can give away so come get some. I told her that I would but that I would also be bringing her some of my eggplant recipes.

Another lives at the very dead end of a county road I do my walk on. She told me to start walking all the way up to her house and to come see her. I had always perceived her property as "trespassing."

One man bought a pair of men's shoes. To keep it simple I put all shoes at 75 cents. He gave me a $10 bill and insisted on $5 change only. They were expensive shoes but my husband's brother had sent them to him and he did not want them. I told the man they were free to me so let me make him correct change. No way. Found out he was born same year my dad was and like my dad fought in the Korean War.

And then there was my neighbor's grandaughter. The child is 14 and just moved here from California. She told me my prices were too low. She made several trips down and always left with a few things. After I figured out what her tastes were I started trying to give her stuff. She would tell me to give her a price and that it better not be free. Last trip I told her $2 and she brought me $3 instead. Then she came back on her 3 wheeler wearing one of my "cool vintage dresses".
default_wink.png

Sounds like a fun weekend! I am with you - I hate the work of getting everything sorted and priced, but I love garage sale day! It's so nice to meet new people and see others you've met before. Sounds like you had a great day meeting your neighbors.

Barbara

We just had a yard sale this past weekend too. My dad laughs and says this is our "6th annual last garage sale ever!" We always say never again. They are so much work but we always make good money and it is like a big social event. We live in a smaller town and if my mom doesn't know them from school or growing up, we are related to them. We too had ones insist we take more money for what they bought-it was generally the elderly men-so cute and sweet. One gentleman was 98-years-old and he bought 2 old push lawnmowers because he "likes to tinker." A little girl that lives across the street visited frequently buying several little things, and we too gave her several things as she was trying to help her grandma "decorate her kitchen." When we decided to quit for the day Saturday a neighbor came down and said they were having their sale again the next day. We gave them everything we had left, as we had planned to donate it anyway, and they were trying to help someone out that really needed money, so it was a win/win! We had fun, a little worn out, a little more money....and we will never do it again....until next year!
default_wink.png

We just had a yard sale this past weekend too. My dad laughs and says this is our "6th annual last garage sale ever!" We always say never again. They are so much work but we always make good money and it is like a big social event. We live in a smaller town and if my mom doesn't know them from school or growing up, we are related to them. We too had ones insist we take more money for what they bought-it was generally the elderly men-so cute and sweet. One gentleman was 98-years-old and he bought 2 old push lawnmowers because he "likes to tinker." A little girl that lives across the street visited frequently buying several little things, and we too gave her several things as she was trying to help her grandma "decorate her kitchen." When we decided to quit for the day Saturday a neighbor came down and said they were having their sale again the next day. We gave them everything we had left, as we had planned to donate it anyway, and they were trying to help someone out that really needed money, so it was a win/win! We had fun, a little worn out, a little more money....and we will never do it again....until next year!
default_wink.png
Now that is funny! Oh, the local cats had fun as well running through rolls of leftover fence wire we had laying on the ground. One even was having a boxing match with a mirror that was propped up.
default_new_shocked.gif

When I was a kid, my mom was queen of the garage sales, she had one every year, occassionally two (one spring, one fall); she always had early birds and rarely had left-overs. Everyone loved her garage sales as all her stuff was clean for the sale. [When we were little, it was lots of girls clothes, even with two girls, there were often things that were outgrown before worn out. Plus toys we outgrew or didn't play with anymore. And, then there were the big sales before we moved a couple different times; a couple times across the state, and a couple times across town.] When I got old enough, I became her cashier, as the money handling made her nervous.
default_rolleyes.gif
She still has one occassionally, but more like every 3-4 years these days, and I'm still her cashier.
default_wink.png

I have had a blast going to garage sales this year, so from the other side of the table THANK YOU for all the work you put into it! I have been reconnecting with people in my little hometown via garage sales since we are moving back to start a family, and even on days when I don't find anything I come home with a head full of great stories. Thank you for sharing your great stories!

Latest posts

Back