Just given a pressure canner, but no book

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
I was just given a pressure canner but the book was missing. I plan on canning next year's veggies and I have looked up online and understand how a pressure canner works. But, I understand you can can things like meat loaf and beef stew and all sorts of other stuff than just veggies. Does anyone have any information on how to do that? Or know where I can purchase a book on canning other stuff? Or even (fingers crossed) someone has some instructions for doing that and would copy and send them to me????? Anyway, I've never used a pressure canner so any hints would be nice.

Did you google it? We did get a pressure canner a couple weeks ago but haven't used it yet....my husband wants to can salmon and venison...it's at my other house a couple hours away....we are heading there tonight. I will check out the instructions and see what it says.

I think I've found instructions on how to can veggies and how to cook stuff but I'd like to be able to "can" a meatloaf or beef stew or spaghetti sauce using quality ingredients. I've got all that stuff in my freezer but if I lose power, I lose a ton of stuff. Canning would make sure it would be viable even if the power goes out.

I don't can, but just google search what you want. I typed in "canning meatloaf" and got a page of hits. Got a ton of hits typing "canning meats".

Check Youtube also.There's alot of pressure canning videos out there

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Here is a link to instruction manuals for Presto canners, we have the 01781 model...it says alittle about canning meats but not much, if yours is a presto maybe you could find your manual on the link:

http://www.gopresto.com/products/manuals.php

Good luck, we haven't used ours yet.

Vvf is right, check youtube....when we bought our expensive fancy camera it came with no instructions on how to use the features. We you tubed it and found a 7 minute video showing you how to use all the features....that was much easier to follow than an instruction book.

Also, if a library near you can find canning books and/or "preserving" food books..........many give advice on storiing winter veggiies in cellars, containers, etc., butchering, de-hydrating, etc.

I love to read them.

I'm canning green beans right now, just waiting for the canner to cool so I can remove jars. You can purchas a Ball canning book any where that canning supplies are sold. Usually at Walmart, Tru Value, or you local farm supply store. Maybe even TSC. They have all the instructions required for veggies, meat, prepared dishes, etc. They even have a great recipe for microwave strawbery jam, I used it and won first prize at the county fair.

Latest posts

Back