Just a thought about the AMHA "over" sized horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
Before I begin, just let me say, I am not good with words, so please bear with me here, and try to understand what I am saying.
default_wacko.png
:

I thought I would post this while it is still kind of fresh in my mind. All of this talk about the AMHS has really got me to thinking. First off, I would not support the new registry since it would not really seem to help out with AMHA horses too much. As others have said, if it was not a separate registry, but a different division of the AMHA, where taller horses sould go, that may be of interest. It would be yet another registry to send money to, when registering. 2 main groups are plenty sufficient for me.
default_yes.gif
:

Now that brings up my train of thought. We often have this debate here on the Forum, about AMHA opening their doors to accept over 34" horses...those that have come from AMHA registered parents, but have gone oversize themselves. Some say we have AMHR for that...that may be so, but many AMHA people would like to have the opportunity to keep the oversized offspring...that is not to punish the horse, just because it grew too much.

As many have said, there are and will always be many people that have horses taller than the 34", but have kept the AMHA papers on those animals. Some insist that they only want this over division so their minis do not lose their heritage, and so that they can continue to breed, and possibly produce smaller than themselves.

So what if AMHA opened a new "over division". Some people are very firm in their desires to have that option available, while others ask why, since people will then be adding 36, 38, 40" horses. Always taller than the allowable limit no matter where it is set.

I think the main problem here, would be dishonesty, so what AMHA needs to do, is to help entice people to BE HONEST in their heights. I think it would be a great idea to open such a division for those people to use that truely desire it, and are willing to go to greater extremes to have it available to them. My thoughts were, that if someone truely wanted to have their horse go into the higher division because it went over, then AMHA would allow them to do so, but only under certain circumstances and it would still retain full AMHA papers so when bred in the future, the foals also would be AMHA eligible.

Suppose I have a 30" stallion, bred him to a 33" mare. The foal ends up "going over". I can either turn in the papers to void registration, losing all AMHA privledges on the horse, OR, I can contact AMHA and ask that they consider my horse for the over division. To be accepted, I would have to take both the mare AND stallion to an AMHA show or Past/Current director or pay them to come to me to have BOTH parents OFFICIALLY measured, and height verified and recorded. AMHA would keep records of this. This would be done at the sole expense of the owner of the horse that goes over, much like hardshipping. If either of the parents measured "over", then the foal would be ineligible for registration, and the registration papers on the parent that measured over would also be pulled. That would help keep people very honest, yet would be providing something to the members that they have been asking for. People breeding 34" or over stock would not sell with AMHA papers if they knew there was a chance the AMHA measure the horses and would pull papers.

Sure, many people will say to heck with it...it's just not worth it, and that is fine, but for those people that TRUELY, for one reason or another want to do it it would be available to them.

I know there would be all kinds of technicalities, loopholes etc., and every owner registering a horse would have to do so on the agreement that thier horse would be subject to measurement should someone come forward with a request to retain AMHA papers as an animal goes over. Not all people would even want to bother, but I have heard of some people that are very determined to do whatever they can to try to get the papers kept for various reasons.

No, it is not a sollution, but the only thing so far that I have heard or thought of that may actually deter people from continuing to raise and breed AMHA horses over 34". I know it is full of holes! Just thinking out loud, and throwing a thought or idea out there.

I'm in support of the culled misfit minis out there. My gals are 37, 36, & 35. They are not of refined conformation. My colt has a potential of +/- 34. I travel out of state a place to show where I have fun and feel welcomed. I have no interest to show on a national level. I just love my horses and enjoy showing them around happy people. I have tried to show locally but the AMHA type horses dominate local shows. I have been told that my minis aren't real minis, that I really shouldn't show my minis, that they are sub-standard, and asked why I waste my time with them. Personally I wish WCMHR would recognize 40" and under for all the culled minis out there. I understand the idea behind breeding for AMHA minis. But I support a registry and a welcomed environment for the left overs. :saludando:

Mona,

I think that it would be good in the fact that people would be more inclined to be honest about the true height of their oversized breeding stock..which would then show up in the actual pedigree of direct offspring or further down the line that went under and were registered.. then as a breeder, looking at purchasing breeding stock, i can look at that pedigree and say "geesh his parent or grandparent was tall... maybe this guy will produce tall" if i'm ok with occational throw backs i would proceed and hope for small..but if not then i could just avoid buying this potential breeding horse to begin with....

I think if they make it easier to BE honest (especially where losing registration papers all together is a huge financial loss to most..forces dishonesty) more people would be honest and put the actual height of the horses on it.

I'm not really sure that would work very well. It seems to me the extra obstacle and hassle would actually encourage people the file for the permanent papers saying the over horse is only 34".

REALLY, a way to make it a lot more "honest" is for ALL horses to have to be OFFICIALLY measured before they can get permanent papers. Now, who really wants to go there? It would be a PITA, but it would go a long ways towards solving the problem of over horses with under papers.

OK...I'm going right "out there" on this.

If you want true honesty just have an "oversize" division- NO height limit, how about that??

So long as you put the TRUE height on the papers it can keep it registration and keep it's pedigree.

It cannot be shown and, if an official turns up at your house on a spot check and measures it and the height is NOT correct you will have the book thrown at you.

Other than that it can be 42", 48" heck, it can be 14.2hh- who cares??

No-one in their right mind would use it or buy foals from it if it was, so it would be self limiting.

What is the problem with a 48" horse on the oversize registry??

The explanation is in the name of the registry- This is not a "true" Miniature it is an "oversize" Miniature.

If it's babies are under 34" at five years old then that is it, basically.

The only difference that I can see is that foals form oversize animals would have to be officially measured to be brought permanent but I see no problems with them competed with other animals from fully registered parents as they would have to measure in to the class to qualify.

Again, what is the problem?

Apart from the fact that the measuring is , by general consensus of opinion and, as far as I can see Intentionally, a joke??

So, measure to the withers.

Get the measuring sorted out so that it is done properly (no problem there, eh??
default_smile.png
)

And open an "oversize register for breeding stock only.

And put it on the papers in BIG RED letters.

THIS ANIMAL IS BREEDING STOCK ONLY

And that goes on the papers of ALL it's descendants.

It would be interesting to see, in ten years time, how many Champions have one of these "throw outs" in their pedigree.!!

Mona i think you bring up excellant points. but the main problem would be the shortage of amha shows. it would be very costly for a lot of people that have no amha shows anywhere near where they live. How do they get their horse to a judge to get looked at?? Also what is a persons incentive if the cost is so high to have it done when they can just lie and bring the horse permanent for no extra money?

im always the keeping it simple method. Just open an oversize breeding stock only divsion. stamp the papers oversize breeding stock only and be done with it. that way amha still makes money off the foals registrations etc. Maybe this will make people more honest on the papers.

Its always going to come back to dishonest measuring. Until that is dealt with once and for all there will always be problems. IMO measuring at teh withers is never going to happen so I dont even waste time thinking about it. Yes it would be best but its not going to happen in my lifetime. why is it so dang hard to get both registries to make stewards measure right at the shows?? It really shouldnt be this hard!

I think what it really boils down to is amha being in financial trouble and trying to find a way to generate more income or get back the members that stopped being members. I have an easier fix LOL. If amha opened up an amnesty period of time to get members back I think they could generate a lot of income. They did this years ago why not do it again. Do an open amnesty of say 6 months to let members come back and bring their horses up to date with no late fees. This could get a lot of people to try amha again. I know a lot of farms that like i said previously tucked away amha papers and left them because of problems with amha. with the market down not many are wanting to pay hundreds of dollars to update amha papers.

Kay that is very sensible and, like the sensible suggestion that we should measure to the withers, it isn't going to happen
default_smile.png

How about we actually start with getting them to accept postal votes, then the MEMBERS can run the society and actually get what they want to be done, done.

OK...that is WAY too easy and sensible, I know.

So, if the AMHA wants to register as a charity perhaps they can them go out begging for funds instead of trying to come up with ways of hoodwinking the members out of them.

Sound bitter??

Yes, I am.

Remember it is not MY fault, nor YOURS that the Association is in this state, so why should I have to pay to help it out??

Again.

LOL jane. im just throwing it out there as an idea to mull over. It would be interesting to know how much amha memberships have declined but I doubt anyone will say. If you think of it as a business then its quite simple. get back the customers you lost. To do that you have to go back and find out why you lost them. Then you do whatever it takes to get them back.

I agree wholeheartedly but some people just seem determined to make things really hard.

And, at the end of the day, we are just the "little guys".

It is about time ALL these societies came to realise that the "little guys" are the ones who pay the memberships that actually fund the society.

Even though we may not spend thousands on showing it is the memberships and registrations that are the important, reliable income, not the showing fees.

Perhaps what AMHA should do is when you make your horse pernament, you get a measuring stick, put red tape where 34" is, and measure your horse like you would at a show, honestly, and take a picture of your horse getting measured, it would have to be the whole horse so they can see it standing.

I don't know, just something I'm throwing out lol.

so what AMHA needs to do, is to help entice people to BE HONEST in their heights.
......... Good thoughts but there are people who will NOT move their over horses up into the taller registry. For some they have to be punished before they agree to follow the rules.................. As lots of us here have been saying for years "clean up the measuring" - WHY can't the people in control understand this?
default_wacko.png
: .................. Wait I know the answer - :eek: it has to do with money - to heck with being fair to those without a lot of it!!!!
default_wacko.png
: :no:

See in the future it would bring a lot more money as only see what you have in the hand at the moment.

Anita

AMHA used to have an oversized papered horse that could be used for breeding only. (POA does this as well) You could not show them, but can be used for breeding.

I think it should be reinstated as I have seen horses even from two 30" parents go over (36!!) but would probably produce some small, under 34 babies.

It is too bad that folks would have to be 'bribed' to be honest, but if they can't even get measured into the shows at the right height as folks are complaining about that... then who is to say that for this they would be measured correctly either? Just a thought

I think AMHA would benefit financially from reinstating the oversized breeding stock as they would still get issued papers and would have foals from those horses to register, rather than just sending them all to AMHR, who will gladly take the money and the registrations.

You know what I find interesting... the Shetland Pony is a blood breed, so any pony even if it was 19 hands tall still can keep it's papers and breed and have offspring that might be small enough to show. The Shetland Pony show height limit is 46" at the withers.

Even though the American Shetland Pony Club does not pull papers from ponies that are too tall to show, somehow breeders manage to breed ponies that are small enough to show! It doesn't get out of control with the tall ponies because the effort is made to have ponies that can measure in. Yes, tall ponies are scrunched down tall or trimmed shorter, but I think there is less panic about it because it's not like the pony will get it's papers pulled.

Just an idea... I think even if taller minis could breed and stay registered, breeders would WANT to breed for showable horses!

Andrea

The biggest problem with making the parents of the horse be the ones measured is: what about those of us who do not have access to the oversize horse's parents? I have never even seen Ally's parents. My beautiful girl is measured in permanent at 36-1/4" with AMHR. I did not turn in her papers to AMHA, but I did not bring her permanent, either. So she does not have a current registration with AMHA. Both of her parents on paper were under.

I actually quite like the AMHA registry, and every horse on my place would carry that designation if it were available. I have one AMHR colt that will probably stay under 34" and I will hardship him in at age 5 if that option is still available to me. His dam is 34" and his sire is 37". If there was an over division for AMHA I would bring all my horses on board, including the oversized. I do not have anything over 37".

The AMHA would be awash in cash I believe, if they opened up an over division and offered a low fee to bring over AMHR registered horses. I would be extremely happy with that, myself. I love the performance horses and I believe the best ones are over 33". It makes it pretty dicey when you are walking that line between 33-34", there are bound to be some that go over. That being said, my 33-1/2" mare is out of a (barely) 30" mare and a 32" stallion! So you just never know!

LOL jane. im just throwing it out there as an idea to mull over. It would be interesting to know how much amha memberships have declined but I doubt anyone will say. If you think of it as a business then its quite simple. get back the customers you lost. To do that you have to go back and find out why you lost them. Then you do whatever it takes to get them back.
I don't mind at all sharing AMHA's membership numbers. There has not been any decline in membership. Here are the official numbers since 1993:

Year - Total Members as of 12-31 for the listed year

1993 - 5747

1994 - 6281

1995 - 6902

1996 - 8180

1997 - 7860

1998 - 9641

1999 - 11674

2000 - 11722

2001 - 11317

2002 - 11966

2003 - 12036

2004 - 11106

2005 - 12090

2006 - 12025 as of 12-11-06

As for the little guy or small farm not being heard or having a chance to make a difference as I have heard so many say, I can attest from personal experience that is not true. I came from the Quarter Horse world and got into Miniatures in early 1993. I am by no means a big shot, I am not rich (ask any of my creditors) and take most of my meals through a drive through window, and when we started I only knew two other people that owned Miniatures. My wife and I got involved at the local level and started learning all we could and stepping up when we could to help out. Since then this little nobody in the business has served on numerous committees, on the AMHA B.O.D. for six years, on the Executive Committee for three years, and as AMHA President. Janet and I have also helped manage some of the biggest sales in the industry. When we first started people did not come rushing out with open arms everywhere we went but I was not offended or put off by that because they didn’t know us and we did not expect the red carpet treatment. We have come a long ways since then and there are a few people now that recognize us. Absolutely none of this is intended to blow my on horn but only to illustrate that anyone who wants to and makes the effort can get involved and can have a voice in AMHA and/or AMHR. My goal has always been to be part of the solution not the problem and while I may not have always been successful in that attempt that mind set has let me sleep well at nights. I know I got a little off topic there but it always concerns me that some feel they are ignored or the association does not care about them because they are a “small fishâ€. Take it form someone that has set on both sides of the table, you are important, the AMHA does care, and you can make a difference. Things may not always come out just the way you wanted but your voice and input in the decision process can be heard and is important. If it were not for “small fish†there would not be a pond and no where for you to grow into “big fishâ€.

Ronnie Clifton

I do not understand what all the fuss is about. There is already a registry for the taller horse. Paints, Quarter Horses, etc. just have one registry and we already have two.

I think the talk started about having another because some AMHA members are wanting a place to put their oversize horse withour it losing it's pedigree which it does when hardshipping into AMHR. Mine did, anyway. Along with that there is a need for AMHA to find a way to become financially stable....more money is needed to stay afloat? Having another registry, as AMHR is, could bring in more money for AMHA. The problem seems to be that not everyone wants to see the taller minis in AMHA, which is understandable. I don't really want to see AMHA change their Standard of perfection to include a class of B's but it would be a way to bring n more money. I also see it as a way for all peolpe to have a choice of registries offering both classes and then there wouldn't be a need for us to belong to two. We could choose one or the other. Mary

Edited to add, this could also make for competition, which could lead to better service for the members. Then the one with the best service would have the most horses to register and I would have more money to put out on horse buying!

I do not understand what all the fuss is about. There is already a registry for the taller horse. Paints, Quarter Horses, etc. just have one registry and we already have two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Quarter Horse has the big AQHA (American Quarter Horse Association), but there is also: FQHA (Foundation Quarter Horse Association), FQHR (Foundation Quarter Horse Registry), NFQHA (National Foundation Quarter Horse Association), WFQHA (World Foundation Quarter Horse Alliance) etc…. Then when we throw in color there is the PHBA (Palomino Horse Breeders of America), PHA (Palomino Horse Association), and IBHA (International Buckskin Horse Association). Now if we throw in size there is the IQPA (International Quarter Pony Associations), then there is also AHQHR (American Half Quarter Horse Registry). As for Paints there are the two main ones APHA (American Paint Horse Association) and PtHA (Pinto Horse Association of America), and some smaller registries. Same thing with Paso Fino, Arabian, Appaloosa, and so on, and so on. Then there are the discipline specific ones that except all of the above like NRHA (National Reining Horse Association), NCHA (National Cutting Horse Association), NBHA (National Barrel Horse Association), NSBA (National Snaffle Bit Association) etc… Multiple registries while maybe not the best idea are not unique to Miniatures.

Ronnie

Latest posts

Back