Jumping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi

Reaction score
I am trying to teach my minis to jump and I'm working on building some but I don't know how high they are supposed to be. I would like to know how they are in the show ring?

Also if anyone has any helpful tips it would be greatly appreciated, my stallion refuses to jump unless a person goes first, lol.

Thanks so much!!

*Lexi*

Hi Lexi. I live in FL too!

There are two jumping classes at shows. One is hunter where the horses style, way of going and manners are judged. There will be 5-8 jumps whose heights are from 18-24". The other is jumper where the horse is judges soley on his jumping ability. In AMHA, the jumps start at 18-28", but can go up to 44" in a jump-off if there is a tie. In AMHR, jumper is from 18-24" (I believe) and if there is a tie they raise them 1" to 6" and the jump off is timed.

You wouldn't want to start that high though. Walk and trot over poles lying on the ground first. Once your horse is comfortable with that raise them slightly and repeat it. I'd recommend starting at 12" or lower for jumping before trying anything higher. You aren't allowed to go over the jumps with your horse in most classes so you will want him to jump on his own.

I'd recomend the book Training Miniature Performance Horses: A Comprehensive Guide to Hunter, Jumper, and Halter Obstacle. It goes into a lot of detail on training, problem solving, and showing. You can find it at www.smallhorse.com.

For building jump ideas, visit www.MiniDreamsProductions.com. There was also a thread recently with people's jumps that should give you some good ideas too.

Hi Jennifer, I believe I've spoken to you through FMHC. I would like to get my yearling and senior stallion jumping for the June show. Thanks for the helpful advice!
default_smile.png

I was the one that recently posted a thread about jumps. If you search through my name you can find the thread. There are some wonderful jumps on there and easy to build. that is what I am getting for Mother's Day! lol.

Hi Jennifer, I believe I've spoken to you through FMHC. I would like to get my yearling and senior stallion jumping for the June show. Thanks for the helpful advice!
default_smile.png
Lexi, yearlings are too young to jump, and they aren't even allowed to show in jumping or hunter in AMHA or AMHR shows.

Try lunging over ground poles. He'll get the idea, and learn he can do it by himself. Once he can do that, Then start taking him over some low cross rails. Start small, and work your way up to the bigger ones....

Good Luck!!!!

Latest posts

Back