Jumper/Hunter Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MR - I hope you are still lurking because I have the official answer to your question. Kristy M. in the AMHA office wasn't sure about the answer so she called Bob Kane, Chairman of the Show Rules committee. His answer is "Don't do it." That is exactly what he said. That means it's against the rules.

If I were to interpret the reasoning behind that comment...I believe that since a chain through the mouth is against the rules, so is a bit. While they are different things, they are both ways of controlling the horse through it's mouth.

If you choose to use the bridle without the bit, I recommend that you make sure that is is very evident that there is no bit attached. Some bridles make it hard to tell if a bit is attached or not.

To make her easier to handle in the class, I suggest (and it's a suggestion only) that you lunge her before the class and get her quieter than you would want at home. Depending on her fitness level, that could be 20+ mins of solid lunging. One of my driving horses is usually lunged the night before and the day of the class ~ otherwise he isn't 'good' until the third class in a row, lol.

Good luck!

thank you...thats all i was looking for to begin with. i'll try lunging her before the class

and thanks ohmt

If you have future AMHA rule questions you can always email Kristy at AMHA. Her email address is [email protected]. Since I live in TX (and only 45 mins from the AMHA office) it's easy for me to call them. But emailing will save you any long distance phone charges.

Kudos to Kristy by the way. She called me from her home, after the office had closed, to give me this answer.

Glad we answered the question about the rules
default_yes.gif
and am glad the people on this forum care about the horses well being to speak up.

Latest posts

Back