Julep Cup - interesting show!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
First I have to say THANK YOU to John Eberth, Arion Management, for getting TWO Grand Champion and a Reserve Champion stallion on my Thumper!! Talk about beautiful horses!!

The show was good sized - over 200 horses. This was my first time at the show and I was surprised by a few things. The horse park of course is great, and we enjoyed exploring the grounds. But I was confused by the order of the show -- Open Roadster first class? then a few halter then driving then more halter, then a driving class. This would drive me nuts trying to get halter AND driving horses ready at the same time without a break. And why Liberty Sunday morning first thing? IMO this would be nicer to see Saturday night, where folks could sit and enjoy it after a full day of showing.

The weather wasn't too bad at all - we heard horror stories about horrendous heat - but Saturday was beautiful, a little rain Sunday, but all in all a nice show. The management sure seemed to have things together and kept the show moving. Great announcer and the gate person made sure folks were where they needed to be.

Laura Tennill has a drop dead gorgeous perlino colt - Laura if he comes up missing I don't have him !!
default_biggrin.png

If anybody's interested, there's a nice little farm right next to the horse park for sale, just a cool $3.6MM.

Awesome! Congratulations Dana!
default_aktion033.gif

Have any pics of your boy?

Congrats again Dana on Thumper's wins.
default_aktion033.gif

The Julep Cup was fun to watch, not as fun as actually showing of course. Maybe next year I'll give it a try.

The Horse Park of course is aways enjoyable.
default_yes.gif

IMAG009.JPG

Here's a photo my daughter took last year.

BTW - I did my darnedest to keep Sheryl in line, but one can only do so much! It was SO great to see you SS!!

Congrats on what sounds like a great show
default_biggrin.png
We have seen Lauras boy and your right he is a looker.

So how did everyone else do. I would like to hear some more results from that show.

Linda

IMAG009.JPG

Here's a photo my daughter took last year.

BTW - I did my darnedest to keep Sheryl in line, but one can only do so much! It was SO great to see you SS!!

Hey, now I was very well behaved. Your just jealous that you didn't get to go the the Drag Queen Show with us Saturday night.
default_risa8.gif

Congrats on your placings. Does this mean he will not be at the Midland AMHR show this year?

" Congrats on your placings. Does this mean he will not be at the Midland AMHR show this year?"

Thanks everybody. Nope, Thumper won't be at Midland this year.

Hey, now I was very well behaved. Your just jealous that you didn't get to go the the Drag Queen Show with us Saturday night.
default_risa8.gif
Now Now Sheryl, don't be upset. Not ALL the DQ's were prettier than you!!!
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

But I was confused by the order of the show -- Open Roadster first class? then a few halter then driving then more halter, then a driving class. This would drive me nuts trying to get halter AND driving horses ready at the same time without a break.

Oh wow, I can imagine Angela (Minis Out West) trying to handle all that with her four boys alone! Sheesh. But, I am sure she came home with enough ribbons to make up for it. lol

Congratulations on a great show and a beautiful stallion!

I haven't been to Julep, but I will comment on the class order. It's impossible to make a slate of classes that works for everybody
default_smile.png
but if you run all the driving classes back to back, then the drivers don't have time to get horses harnessed, warmed up, etc when they are showing multiple driving horses and/or classes. It is tough if you do halter and driving - and do it all yourself (I do). I don't know how Angela does that and drives a zillion miles there and back! Liberty I think is more just preference - it's more of a spectator event run at night, but in the morning the horses haven't been showing all day and are fresher. At least in the heat we've had here lately NO ONE has any energy left by the end of the day!
default_new_shocked.gif

Jan

Normally, this is a very hot and humid time and liberty is in the morning to let them go in the coolest part of the day, same for hunters and jumpers on their days.

Varying classes is good for spectators, to keep them interested. Watching endless halter classes can be like watching paint dry if you aren't into them, but performance is more interesting and educational.

We have an opportunity to attract new people to the breed and to educate them in what we do with those little horses.

Hey! How come none of you came over to at least say hi to Lily and I?

Even Portia Sue came over to visit her on Sunday.

Latest posts

Back