Places to show unregistered minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Long story short, I rescued a 4 year old miniature appaloosa mare about 34" tall May 2013. She had no papers and that was fine with me because she was skinny, matted, untouchable and just needed a loving home.

She's now able to be caught, haltered, pick up feet, lunging on a line and freely on command, leads, bathes, stands tied and trots in hand. She still has a long way to go with training on not spooking around sudden movements but she is coming along nicely. She had no trust in people and the fact that I can do all those things with her now is very good progress. When I first got her you couldn't get within 15 feet of her without bolting and she would tremble at the slightest touch of your hand.

With all of that being said, I see potential for her to be a good horse to promote rescuing horses in need regardless of paperwork.

All of my other horses are registered so I am baffled at where I could show her. The only open shows in my area in SC are for riding horses with no mini classes.

Are there any "unregistered mini clubs" in or near sc or any other ways I could get her out and enjoy her when I complete her training? I would prefer to stay away from WCMHR......

Thanks in advance!!

I'm 25 years old so I don't think I can participate in 4h?

I plan on training her to drive so I could do ADS.....

Are there any clubs or anything besides fairs where we could compete in obstacle, jumping, showmanship, etc classes?

Do the open shows in your area have any pony classes such as halter? If not, do they offer showmanship? Not sure how they work in SC as we live in MN but here any horse/pony may be used in the open shows both in halter and in showmanship. Also, some open shows here host a driving class.

Good luck and congratulations on all of the progress made! You must be very pleased with your little appaloosa!

I am very pleased with her progress, she's a darling mare that just needed some TLC.

Unfortunately they do not offer any pony or mini classes in the open shows in my area...

I'm 25 years old so I don't think I can participate in 4h?

I plan on training her to drive so I could do ADS.....

Are there any clubs or anything besides fairs where we could compete in obstacle, jumping, showmanship, etc classes?
Not necessarily. In our area there are open 4-H shows that anyone can enter and they have classes for biggies and minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about where you are, but here in south Missouri we show minis against the biggies in the local open shows. It's just for fun, but it's even more fun when you place against the big guys! Proves the minis ARE horses!
default_thumbup.gif

The only class that I could show her at the open shows would be halter (and IMHO she is not halter quality) and showmanship.

I'm looking for more performance based classes.....and I am in SC.

Back