Judging Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a $42 exam fee for and exam to get the health papers, and another $42 exam fee to look at the testicles? If so that's an expensive vet!

Not many people take the time like you to get horses to accept being touched around their testicles I'm sure there are many people that work with there horses to be touched all over, but never think of touching genitals. I haven't seen many kick just from looking just a handful, a horse or 2 that hadn't been handled hardly at all so its spooked by someone squating down. Or I did have one client horse that was obviously abused by a previous owner or trainer. I've had several that don't mind me reaching down and feeling at all, but when a vet does they kick. Either they don't trust strangers, or its because I am a woman and they are not used to being handled by men. Either way, I wouldn't want to be a judge having to check and hoping the horse has been handled and worked with about it, but not really knowing how its going to react. Its hard to trust your safety to horses/handlers you don't know.
Well you guys are lucky, Coggins/Health certificate for me is $175 per horse.

My horses, be it mare or gelding, are trained to let me handle their genital area for cleaning and general inspection. I've never seen testicles physically checked in any halter class, but I have seen judges bend over a little bit to "take a peek" and I've had judges ask me to move my horse's tail so they could see hind legs better.

Andrea

Even a vet certificate isn't always 100% full proof.
I know of a Stallion that was shown AMHA that had a vet checked certificate. Was shown as a stallion. Someone purchased the stallion and it turned out he had only one testicle.

So, buyer beware!!! Just because it has a vet checked certificate or was being shown as a stallion it's important to have it double checked.
"Buyer beware" my foot! If I had a vets SIGNED certificate stating there were two testicles on a stallion I just paid good money for, and I find out upon checking myself there is only one...he better be prepared to be meeting one very irate woman...with that paper in one hand, and the vet board's number in the other. He could either buy that horse from me for what I had put into it; or be reported for fraud...whichever way he prefered it would be fine with me.

I get tired of hearing this "buyer beware" crap, why doesn't anyone expect a seller to be honest...this makes us all sound like a bunch of crooks.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Well l would find it hard to believe any vet would risk a lawsuit that certified and signed his name and give his license number and state of license if what he examined didn't actually have 2 decented testicles...l usually get mine done as 2 year olds when ever something else needs doing so he's here anyway and the most l've had to pay for his signature was 10 bucks... and he's always made sure it was filled out with the horses name and # and my signature before signing his..cheaters are a dime a dozen and won't disappear any time soon..
default_biggrin.png
But l still prefer it this way with a certificate as l think it's more respectable in a class then having to actually have the judge looking or feeling around down there for every stallion coming in..

Are there really so many stallions that are that hard to tell have a full pair down there without the judge actually having to FEEL or even get right there and peer under the horse? I've found that mature stallions generally have a pair that are readily visible even if you don't put too much effort into looking. I can see that maybe on the under 28" horses, but on anything taller....no such problems on the boys here.

Heck, one day a friend was riding down the road past a neighbors, and observed that the little stallion in the pasture had a good set on him...stallion was maybe 33", fuzzy coated with winter hair, in the pasture across the ditch from the road....and lower than the road...and my friend was up on her 15hh horse on that road--and she was right, the little horse was a stallion with a pair on him.

Latest posts

Back