Judge for 4-H show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been working on getting a Miniature horse program started in our county for several years, it is a slow process but it is progressing each year.

This year I had high hopes to seperate the mini's from the saddle horses (for many reasons, But mainly for saftey and to give the mini's more class's including driving class's). All was going well, until I was asked about the judges fee.

What is a typical judges fee for doing a small 4-H show? (small being less than 20 class's and less then 20 entries - maybe fewer for the first year, until others realize this is a new program and how much fun it is
default_smile.png
)

I was told if I could find a judge to do the show for $75 - $100 they would consider it, at least for this year until the program grows and the funds pick up.

If I do find a judge to do the show this year then the program will be developed and the registration fees will go back into a fund to help pay for the judge the following year.

Where can I find a list of possible judges? Looking for a mini or driving judge. Last years saddle horse judge YELLED at the kids for having a driving whip while ground driving, told them it was extremely dangerous. Made me look a fool, But judge is always right, right? All the ground driving kids were DQ'd, and of course they were all mini's. Still waiting to here from the Rule committee on that deal. (& another reason mini's need thier own class's)

One more question - Could a Mini/pony "driving type" judge also judge donkeys, if we allowed them to participate in the show.

I want to allow the few donkeys that attend our fair to participate if they'd like. If they had more than 5 donkey/participants they could have there own class during our show. Is my thinking, anyway.

Thanks to everyone who has been helpful here thoughout my project. I hope the kids appreciate our efforts
default_smile.png

And I'm hoping for continued progress on this project.

Thanks again!

email: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Richland County, Fairgrounds are in Mansfield.

Thank you.

Does it have to be a carded judge? I know many years ago I judged at a 4-H show at the Franklin County Fair. Was that ever a trip. One of the classes was a training level dressage class (my specialty so no biggie). One of the kids came in on her 3 gaited Saddlebred. Did a very accurate test, but I did have to give a low score on the movement and frame
default_wink.png

I am not up to doing it myself, but if you don't need someone with a card, that does open the options some.

Also, back in the day when I went to Meredith Manor, Senior students often got judging jobs at fairs and local shows and we worked cheap, expenses and a bit of money. That was a blast.

I am not a carded judge. But I am a trainer with many years of experience in all areas of showing. I also have an AS degree in Horse Science, and BS in Animal Science. I have judged county fairs in the past and have been paid between $100-150 depending on how far I had to travel. I've also instructed at a week long 4-H camp for 3 years now, and this summer also did a 1 day 4-H clinic.

If i can help you with any questions or trying to organize something feel free to e-mail me.

Ashley, the fairgrounds are no more than an hour north of us.

Hi- there are lists of licensed judges for AMHA on their website and printed in the World Magazine. And the same applies for AMHR/ASPC. You can find them on the website and printed in the Journal. I am an AMHR/ASPC/ASPR licensed judge. I did a few small fair shows in Ky this year that were not associated with either registry/association. Depending on length of time and number of classes- they paid differently. Some shows also may pay mileage. Obviously it is best to find a judge near you. One thing that I have learned from helping local fairs grow their shows is that when they have a licensed judge they tend to bring in more participants. They may cost a little more, but if you want the show to increase then the points/ribbons need to have bragging rights so to speak. There are many judges in your area. You may look for ones that are licensed in another breed and you can share the cost with another division on the horse show.

Robin-LKF

Latest posts

Back