Jimmy in the new harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
So how does my boy look in the new Presidential Harness? I like it. It certainly fits him better.

Jimmywithnewharness003.jpg

Marie,

This harness fits Jimmy so much better than your old one. My inexpert assessment would be:

Raise the breechingst a notch.

Lower the breast collar one notch (to clear his windpipe)

Move the saddle back to clear the withers and shoulders.

From this angle the bridle looks good. Just watch those Jimmy ears and perhaps add a gullet strap for safety so the bridle doesn't come off.

Man, he has a nice butt!

Now let's hear the experts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie,

This harness fits Jimmy so much better than your old one. My inexpert assessment would be:

Raise the breechingst a notch.

Lower the breast collar one notch (to clear his windpipe)

Move the saddle back to clear the withers and shoulders.

From this angle the bridle looks good. Just watch those Jimmy ears and perhaps add a gullet strap for safety so the bridle doesn't come off.

Man, he has a nice butt!

Now let's hear the experts...
No expert, but I agree with all of these suggestions.
default_yes.gif
BTW - A small dollar-store cat or puppy collar works well as a gullet strap.
default_biggrin.png

The over-neck strap on that breast collar does seem to be a bit "odd". Perhaps it just slipped sideways a bit? It should be coming straight down, not pulled forward like that.

Thanks Susanne. First off What withers? We got behind him and when you pull the traces the breaststrap hits him perfectly. Good thing because it is on the last whole. As far as the headstall it fits him great. The bit actually sets where it should and with his broad forehead the teardrop doesn't look overly large but looks good. I gave him the broken snaffle and he was happier with that one. I do think in the future I'm going to get him a french link as I think that will make him even happier. I am considering buying a staple gun to keep it over his ears. Just kidding. He was very well behaved while we were trying his new clothes on.

I do suspect he will be wearing it again today while I am at work. Someone has decided it might be worth giving him a chance to see if I am being honest about his energy levels. I made it very clear that this one is mine. She can drive Ariel. We even argued about whose harness that is. She said it is Duckies harness and I said no, it is my harness. Duckie didn't pay for it.

Sue you and I were posting at the same time apparently. I will more than likely end up getting either a larger neck strap or extensions for this one. On the lowest hole it fits with the pressure on the traces. It doesn't touch his windpipe. I need about two more inches of straps on the neck straps and it would be perfect.

Hoping Leia will take a look and other experts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Suzanne, I would like to see the saddle moved back not only to clear the withers, but to reduce the risk of galling the elbow. You may have to loosen the girth to do it, and tighten up the backstrap.

I also would like to see the browband down a little, but in order to do that, you may have to "manipulate" the winker stays. The right blinder seems close to his eye, but that also may be affected by the halter. It might be a different story w/o the halter underneath. (But I understand why it is there.)

Also, when you are able to remove the halter, the caveson should be tighter. Have you considered putting the halter over the bridle?

Hope this helps!

Myrna

Everything I would say has pretty much been covered.
default_biggrin.png
Move the saddle back, get the right blinker further off the eye, move the browband down, and I too was going to ask about the neckstrap as it appears to be attached too far forward although the height of the breastcollar itself seemed fine to me. It's good to hear that it behaves once it's under pressure. Jimmy, of course, is adorable!

Leia

Back