I've lost another one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

I lost another horse tonight. I just can't believe it.
default_no.gif
I'm still just in shock.

I was feeding as usual tonight and I have one mare that has been eating by herself for a couple of months due to trying to control her diet because she showed many signs of being insulin resistant. She was only allowed special hay that I also had to soak before she ate it since I was trying to reduce the sugars she was taking in. I took her into a make-shift stall I've been using for this purpose, fed her her hay and was going about my watering when I heard a loud crash sound. I ran into the barn to find her down as if her legs had just buckled. Her front end was laying on its side but her back feet and legs were just crumpled underneath her. I pushed her backend over onto its side and started to look around on her and around her to see what was wrong. She wasn't doing anything but her eyes were open and were fluttering a little. I felt for air out of her nose and there was some shallow breathing. I called the vet; he was on the way home so that made him only a few minutes away. I couldn't really feel any heartrate so I got my stethoscope and listened but there was only a faint heartbeat. She was gone in about 5 minutes or less. The vet confirmed she was gone when he got there.

I'm just beside myself. Although I wasn't as attached to this mare like I was Puddin' or Wiz, it's just shocking and heartbreaking to lose another one so soon.

We are not going to do a necropsy (I don't know if that's the right word or not) because I had to make the decision that it wasn't financially possible right now. Both the vet and I believe she probably had a heart attack and probably had heart disease or issues due to her obesity that made this the likely cause. I do not believe I have anything poisionous or anything environmental that has caused her or Wiz. I believe they were seperate issues that had to do with each horses' health and are not related.

I'm just stunned.

Godspeed Rhythm...aka SG Fascinating Rhythm. She was only about 14.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that. It's never an easy part of animal ownership
default_sad.png

I am so sorry Parmela. This is heartbreaking. but you were doing all you could to get her healthy, so please take some comfort from that.

Oh NO! I can't seem to find any words to comfort you, what a shock! I'm so sorry. Your poor heart has had to endure so much lately. Sending my sympathies.

OMG, Parmela, you've sure had a string of bad luck. My heart is breaking with you.

Prayers sent your way!

Rita

So sorry for your loss.

I Lost a 10 yr old mare this year in kind of a similar situation- we had called everyon up from the lower pasture to come eat and she was tagging along behind everyone and just collapsed mid stride. She literally fell in her own hoof prints. She was goen before we could get to her. We did do a necropsy and her heart had exploded in her chest- her entire abdominal cavity was filled with blood. She had been a rescue case, very starved when we got her, and no telling what kind of damage had been done to her during that time.

I am SO sorry Parmela. Hugs to you. My thoughts are with you!

OMG Parm, what a nightmare!
default_crybaby.gif

I can't believe all the great losses you've had. It really sounded like a heart attack to me. Nothing in the world anyone could have done for her.

I'm so sorry about Rhythm
default_sad.png

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Latest posts

Back