I've Had it!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyranch

Reaction score
I'm learning that Football parents and basketball parents are a different breed.

I'm keeping the books for jr. high girls b-ball and last week, the coach asked me to help keep the girls rounded up during the game.

The girls were in a huddle after half time and one was at the bleachers talking to her friends. I nicely said, girl, get over there with you team. Next thing I know I have a mom tapping me on the shoulder telling me I should know that her daughter was looking for her drink!

Whatever! didn't she get a drink during the 15 minute half-time.

Last nite, another mom and I were in the stands and we have this other girl, who doesn't pass, goes down the court, misses the basket EVERYTIME. AND was actually stealing the ball from her own team mates.

Every player on our team was open and she wasn't passing, so we are yelling,,,, PASS the ball!

She stops what she is doing and looks up at us and mouths, F-You.

Well the ref stopped her. Said something to her and they went on playing.

We lost our 3rd game out of 3 and then after the game she is telling all her family and they are waiting to confront me!!! Saying they are going to kick my as*.

Funny how they all think they will be the next star in basketball.

Football kids and parents seem to be such better sports and more disciplined.

I'm about to pull my daughter off the team and then there won't be enough to play. I'm sick of the confrontations!

i think the best thing any parent can do with kids in sports and not say anything during a game unless its positive. imo baseball parents are the worst!! we took both of our boys out of baseball because the other parents were so rude and downright mean. I know its hard to be in the stands and not say anything but it really is the best policy.

My son had a really bad soccer coach this year. Had a horrible season. I kept my mouth shut (man was it hard) because unless I am going to volunteer to coach I really dont feel I have the right to criticize
default_smile.png

Sadly when kids are involved 95 percent of the time it means parents ego's are involved and bad things can happen
default_wacko.png
:

Be it football, basketball, horse shows or dog shows or whatever. It is very sad but true. I have been helping out with my daugthers cheer squad and will be putting in more time then ever over then next couple of weeks (or months) and sheesh I thought having my own teen was bad try dealing with 20 of them LOL

actually they are all great kids but I have to remember that is the key word KIDS

What are these mother's thinking?

I think Horse Show mothers can be some of the worst with the big fat mouths.

I tell you that I have heard more horse show moms yell and coach and help cheat and scream, you name it at their kids, IN THE RING as well as out of the ring. You could hear that big mouth over and over again till you felt like telling them to just shut up.

Back home in Florida we had a group of horse show mothers that I swear to pete, you would know every time they pulled up. There was always "that mouth".......and you could hear it a mile away.

If I ever behaved like that at a show I tell you Jerry would have pulled the plug and never let us show again.

I think I have finally calmed down about things now, but I won't be going to the tournament Saturday as I know this group of people will have even more numbers then. I will go to our home game Monday and not cheer on anyone.

If I don't go at all, my daughter will be hurt.

Last year, B-ball was so fun, and cheerleading, had one mom that ruined it for everyone. Actually got in a yelling match at the dance where we were chaperones.

I guess it has switched this year, cheer fun, B-Ball NOT FUN!

My hubby says people get more aggressive because they are right close to everything on the gym floor, unlike football where you are farther away.

I think alot of parents have lost their respect for society in general and it disgusts me. Now I know where some kids get their attitudes from.

Wish me luck that I don't get beat up at the next game!! LOL

Remember many of these parents live through their children trying to accomplish what they didn't as kids. I get a kick out of saying loudly to my girlfriend about how some of these parents actually think the children are going to get sports scholarships (we all know what that percentage is) then be plucked out of college by either the NFL or MBA (yea right) and finally the kid is going to set up the parent is some mansion. We both giggle and see a lot of uncomfortable looks.

What ever happened to getting exercise.

Remember many of these parents live through their children trying to accomplish what they didn't as kids. I get a kick out of saying loudly to my girlfriend about how some of these parents actually think the children are going to get sports scholarships (we all know what that percentage is)
Actually there are quite a few that do get partial scholarships for cheerleading as well as other sports.

I don't remember any of my friends getting one when I was in school and now I don't know any parents who have kids getting one. I would rather hit the books and let sports be fun. I know there are some talented kids out there and they should be mentored but a lot of these parents are looking through rose colored glasses.

I know there have been baseball and basketball games where the parents have actually been banned from coming. :new_shocked: The kids just want to play and have fun, the parents were making it impossible. :no:

Robin

OK, I am going to add my 2¢ since I wasn't in sports in high school but did manage the BOY's hockey and baseball teams. I agree that basketball, baseball and horse show mom's are HORRIBLE. There was more than once where one of my boys from the baseball team would walk up to his mother after the game and tell her to shut up or F-Off. I thought it was funny just because of the fact that the boys were noticing that their mothers had big mouths.

Now, my hockey boys.... their moms were great. They'd cheer on the team and yeah, there were 1 or 2 moms that I could've punched just because all you heard out of their mouths was "CHAR, DON'T DO THAT!" or after the game "CHAR, COM'MON WE GOTTA GO". It was ridiculous. There were actually other parents that were telling those few moms to calm down and let the kid be. All I could do was laugh and shake my head!

As for horse show moms, I agree with Marty. I was in 4-H in Minnesota growing up and all I have to say is those moms at the horse shows were BAD! There is a reason I only did speed events with my arab mare. I couldn't stand to listen to those moms who stood along the boards and coached their kids while in a western pleasure or english class. I just couldn't understand why if their child placed lower than 1st or even if their child placed 1st they'd make the kid work the horse and themselves after the class was all done.... Who cares.... the kid did their best in the class!!!! I have seen horse show moms make their kids work for an hour after all is said and done with the show.... There would be a handful of kids at 11 pm after everything was done that were working their horses and going through the entire class again just because their parent(s) didn't think they did well enough!

Personally, I have a 3 y.o. son... if he wants to participate in sports... good... if not... good. I am not going to be the person that threatens other parents. I will not be the parent that puts presure on the kid to do better than what they can. All I ask is that the kid tries and has fun while trying!

There's my 2¢

I decided to speak with the principle, especially since Monday after school, the kids and I were tootling along leaving school windows down, talking and I hear someone yell F-you B! I look over and it's the same 8th grade girl.

Well principal says that will stop immediately, and if the parents start anything next week at our home game they will be removed. He said he had hoped this sort of thing didn't start again this year, so now he will go ahead and have the sheriff there as he has the last 3 years. He said he has been embarrassed by this group of parents for the last 3 yrs.

Evidently, there was a huge fight last year at a boys game and the gym had to be stopped. I feel a little better, but not safer yet.

I'm very involved with the athletic boosters and everyone knows exactly what I do and how I am, and the princ. says I shouldn't have to be subjected to any of this from students or parents at a school function.

I also told him if it didn't stop,,that myself and a few others would pull our girls from the team and then unfortunately there won't be a team. There are only 7 players, so this is why coach is letting the attitude continue, so they can play. I don't want them to play if they are going to embarrass our school.

If my children acted this way on the field or court, I would go to the coach and have them pulled from the game myself. I guess I expect more of my children than some. But I know I have alot of other parents who agree with me.

I've spoken with my kids many times about how it will be great if they get some sort of athletic scholarship, but not to stake everything on that. College scouts watch for that attitude,too,,,they want a good one,,,,grades etc. Not a trouble maker who plays the "I" team......What's that saying,,,there is no I in TEAM>

Wish I wasn't so sensitive and could laugh it off.
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back