Summer hydrating

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sister had to take her little mare to the vet yesterday as she was colicing. She had been a little off for a few days, but wasn't rolling and was eating fine. We thought she was just cycling and was a bit moody. Blood work showed she was dehydrated. If she had not recovered by this morning, he was going to put her on IV, but my sister said she seems fine today. Vet recommended top dressing her feed with salt to encourage her to drink more.
I have been top dressing with salt for many years. I like to use mineral salt or himalyan salt. But I'm out of both so just been using table salt. About a half teaspoon. Might be a good idea to offer salt by hand this time of year; usually they will lick it up. Also have a salt block in the pasture.
It made me add another water source in my corral today, just so they wouldn't have to walk so far to get a drink.
I've never had good luck using electrolytes; just seems to cause diarrhea. Anyone have experience with electrolytes?
My sister's little girl, Jackie O.

Attachments

• jackie o.jpg
    jackie o.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 2
I never had much luck with electrolytes either, the problem I had was it seemed to cause mild stomach issues. Not colic exactly, maybe more like ulcery. I give table salt if they are not drinking well. Usually I use it more in the winter, their thirst seems to slow down in the cold weather.
Hope Jackie O continues to recover.

Jackie is doing fine. The vet said not to give her anything to eat until she sees some oil on the feces. He allowed her to graze on fresh grass for 3-4 minutes a few times a day and that is all. Nothing else to eat.
Jackie is passing manure now and is doing well, though not totally bounced back. She's going to keep her on short grazing rations for another day before offering hay.
Decided against the electrolytes; just going to keep it simple.

Glad to hear there is some improvement. I also have been offering some plain table salt to a couple of mine that just don't seem to bother with salt blocks. If nothing else it makes me feel better! They do drink more I have noticed. It seems to be above normal heat here and it is just hanging on for so long.

Latest posts

Back