I've been asked for a Kody update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh poor Kody and poor Leia! This may well take longer to recuperate from then the stifle surgery
default_sad.png
Be really careful Leia and don't rush him back into work. Thinking good thoughts for Kody and you.

Okay, time for an update! I was waiting until I had some progress one way or the other to report and sadly it took awhile before anything changed.
default_no.gif
The fever lasted for three more days with the complete apathy and loss of appetite but finally Monday night my little boy started to brighten up and act like himself again. He'd been drinking well and peeing/pooping fine the whole time but would take twelve hours to finish a serving of hay and for the first few days wouldn't even touch beet pulp which is normally a real treat for him. Sunday evening/Monday morning he finally started at least investigating his grain bucket and by Monday night he was cleaning everything up within an hour or two. I crossed my fingers and waited to see if it would last but he spent all Tuesday diving straight into whatever food I gave him and not leaving the dish until it was done.
default_aktion033.gif
I haven't seen him have appetite like that for quite awhile actually because what with the ulcers and allergies and all he's been off one way or another for a long time.

He was bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and pawing at the door to get out by Tuesday afternoon so I let him out in the paddock for awhile to enjoy the sudden spring sunshine. Of course Pyro was also out in the neighboring paddock so the first thing they did (after he rolled, of course!) was start running the fenceline together...over and over and over. :DOH! I winced but he was having so much fun I gave up and let him enjoy himself. He settled down after awhile and came over to stand by me while I cleaned the paddock then spent the rest of the afternoon grazing in the yard and towing me down the road at a happy trot when I took him for a walk that evening.

Some people's horses!
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wub.png

MiLo, you're right about putting off the start of his exercise program for awhile to avoid making him relapse. I worried last night after he ran around so hard but his temp was normal and by the time I came out for the late feed he'd apparently taken a nap and seemed fine again. At this point I'm allowed to start him back to free lunging so I'll just turn him out in the afternoons and let him run the fence with Pyro for a week or so before starting him back to actual scheduled works. I do want to get going on his physical therapy and driving work though as he's still walking on his toes a lot and seems to turn his feet out more than he did before the surgery. I know he's capable of normal movement as he's fine when trotting out and cantering so I think that a little cavaletti work and having to push down properly on his hind heels will help him build strength. We'll see!

Anyway, that's where things stand. I appreciate all the good thoughts! As usual your prayers worked wonders.
default_smile.png

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
So Glad Kody is feeling better!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Best wishes to you both!
default_biggrin.png

So glad he's feeling better!!! I bet he is getting slightly spoiled with all the extra attention after the surjury and then getting sick. But he deserves it all.
default_wink.png

cowgurl_up said:
I bet he is getting slightly spoiled with all the extra attention
"Getting" spoiled?
default_unsure.png
default_whistling.gif
That's like saying I'm "going" crazy! It's a short trip! *LOL*

Seriously, this horse so loves to work that the longer you leave him untouched in a pasture the worse he gets about mugging and demanding attention. When we're out there all the time like this he actually gets much better about minding his manners because he's happy and feeling secure. Now PYRO, on the other hand, is getting thoroughly jealous and tired of Kody getting all the lovin'!
default_new_shocked.gif
He tried being sweet and giving me puppy-dog eyes but when that didn't work he resorted to bratty behavior to try and force me to pay attention to him. Last night he got so frustrated on our walk that he performed two perfect caprioles in a row, leaping straight up into the air and kicking out without moving forward. He knew he couldn't get me (we'd been through that already) so he had to express his frustration somehow!
default_rolleyes.gif
Silly baby.

Spyder is merely watching all this with elderly amusement and occasionally nudging me for treats just to remind me he's there. Ah, the patience of old age.
default_wub.png

Leia

I'm so glad to read he's feeling better. I've been thinking of you and hoping to hear that he'd turned the corner. Poor Kody!!!

Know that my thoughts are with you...

and tell Pyro to chill a little, there's lots of time for him in the near future! The good weather has arrived (but, yes, it's cold, darnit)

Liz

So glad to hear that Mr. Kody is on the road to recovery. Now you can sleep better. :D

I hear the sun came out also...so happy days after all that wretched snow!!! I am in sunny (and warm) Orlando! Hahaha!
default_saludando.gif

I was keeping tabs on Kody- kept checking in. I'm so glad to hear he's better!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad to hear that he is improving! I know you will take good care of him, I just know how these respiratory things go and it is so easy for them to relapse when they look so healthy and happy. Thinking good thoughts for you both.

Hi Leia,

I know I'm late to add my best wishes but better late than never! I just read about Kody's illness and hope that he is now fully recovered and soon ready to start back to work.

Cheers,

Joanne and Fox

Oh I'm so pleased to hear Kody is feeling better
default_yes.gif
It must have been a very worrying time for you. But hey you know what they say " You can't keep a good horse down!"

Anna
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back