I've acquired a stallion AND a goat,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyranch

Reaction score
My neighbor called me Sunday and asked if I could please take in a miniature and a goat, the owner is moving and was "getting rid of them" The owner told my neighbor we could come get them even though he/she wasn't going to be home.

The stallion is 6, black, under 30 inches for sure, has a pretty arabian head, and the goat is a former show goat. This little horse has been worked with because he puts himself in a show stance. Stretches out, but he tries to kick me too if I get in his way, I think he's just a little nervous. His legs are too short to get me though, ha ha. He is in pretty good condition, a minimal amount of rain rot, and a cut on the face, but his mane has been thinned and his tail chopped at the bottom.

I guess he needs to be gelded, so he can either be a buddy for my stallion, who gets night pasture, or my mare who gets day pasture.

I'm not sure about the goat though, I'm not refencing a 10 acre pasture for one goat!

Help me k?? I know nothing about gelding a horse! Any and all advice is welcome.

I'll try to get some pics today.

put the goat in the freeze

if the stallion has been showed, is he of breeding quality? might be able to sell him if he is good enough

Jesper

What type of fencing do you have? Some goats will respect hotwire as long as you have a low strand so they can't go under. He was probably a companion to the mini. Goats are great clowns and we have some just because we love their silly personalities. As a 4-H leader, I suggest if you don't want the goat, try to find a 4-H kid that is interested in a nice, already trained show goat! Or possibly a petting zoo type situation, since this one is probably pretty friendly and used to lots of people and attention. If you don't want to keep the stallion, might also be an option to find a 4-H kid that would like to show him. We had our first mini at fair this year and he was a big hit! Might be an option for a kid that loves horses but doesn't have room for a full sized horse. They might take both the horse and the goat as a companion.

Where are you located? Maybe one of us are close enough to help you find homes. I would even take the goat for you and find him a home, instead of putting him in the freezer.

Vicki

Back at the beginning when we only had three (full size) goats and no fencing for them, we built a holding pen with a shelter, and if we wanted to put them out to graze, they had collars on and we staked them out on the grass where they couldn't get tangled. They grazed down what they could reach and then we would move the stakes. We know a few people who have kept them this way.

We know people who have kept goats in with one hot wire at chest height, but electric did not work for us, we got up to five strands, alternating hot cold, hot cold, to give a good ground, but the little boogers actually learned that if they got a run at it and dived through, when they hit the wires their feet were not touching the ground, so they did not get zapped!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Goats are great weed eaters. When we had Tiger he would get thru the hot wire all the time, the stinker! We put a dog choke coller on him but we used a split ring to connect the end rings so it "would not choke". That stinker (he was a wether) would attempt to go thru the fencing and his collar would sting him and he'd go back right quick! After a few days..he quit trying and was a good boy!

Does the Stallion Have papers? It would be best to geld him even if he does since you already have a stallion and you want to keep this one aswell?

Gelding can get expensive where I live but it is worth it. If he does not have papers you could invest in world class papers and have a fun show gelding. or train him to drive and have fun with him at home as well. You will notice that his behavouir will change after gelding.

Dont know much about goats though sorry.

-Vanessa

[SIZE=12pt]We only have one goat but I have raised her since she was small so she grew up with our dogs. She is best friends with them and she is never penned up because she just stays with them and sleeps on our screened in porch...lol Your goat may eventually learn to stay around if you decide to keep it, but I would keep her contained at first until she knows that your house is it's new home. Goats are great pets and so funny like Vicki, aka Denali, said earlier. In my experience, not all goats keep the weeds eaten down. My goat and I think most Nigi's are pretty picky eaters. So don't get rid of that bush hog yet...[/SIZE]

Same advice as above on the stud, if you want to keep him, just get him gelded. He sounds like he would be a really fun companion and pet!

Shannon

Latest posts

Back