It's March and I have my first case of poison ivy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbark

Reaction score
Well, already have my first case of poison ivy, all over my chin, ain't I purddddy. I am guessing I have the first case of the season, but if someone else beat me to it, that is an award I will gladly give up, lol.

Maggie planted a minikiss on my chin, obviously after she found some poison ivy to play in.

Had to break out the prednisone because I have such a severe reaction to it. So beware out there, it is not too early in the season to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like I can look at it and get it
default_new_shocked.gif
. Anyone with tips and remedies? Hope it goes away soon
default_saludando.gif

Seems like I can look at it and get it
default_new_shocked.gif
. Anyone with tips and remedies? Hope it goes away soon
default_saludando.gif
Thank you, for me the only remedy is prednisone. I get a "chemical burn" reaction, not the typical blister and itch. I feel and look like I have been dragged across the hot top. Not a pretty sight!!!! I have tried the ivy soap, calamine, baking soda, you name it. It is a love, hate relationship. It loves me, I HATE it, lol.

It's much too early for that stuff here--it's still buried under snow and ice. Not that we have any of it growing anywhere around our property, but it's out there in the forest not too far away...

I hope your chin clears up soon--it's not nice stuff to have.

Yep I Got It too.......

i posted a question as to why and if Posion Ivy will hurt my minis for they are eating it....and before thinking about my stallion Ex planted a big kiss(its his morning routine will not eat til he gets his kiss..LOL MEN) And i got it earlirer this month.....Have since gone out and killed it all.....

Jenn

Well, I now have a poison ivy goatee and it is bright red. I am not one to shut myself in and you should see the looks I am getting!!!

By the way up in Canada, mine was also buried under the snow and guess who found it by using that little nose to go grubbin around, so be careful.

Yes, it's baaack already. I have gotten it in January in past years from the wood we use in the wood furnace
default_no.gif
I have a case this year already... from the dogs, our one outside cat, donkeys... who knows?? Mine also looks like a chemical burn. My family and co-workers just look at me and roll their eyes. I'm smart enough to stay out of the stuff, but when you have critters.... can't always help it as they bring the urushiol (poison ivy oils) to US!
default_rolleyes.gif

I used to get the steroid shots and a pack of prednisone but after having some not-so-good reactions to all that steroid... I tried other remedies. The one thing that works for me now is a product called Zanfel. It is a grainy scrub type thing. Comes in a small tube and costs a whoppin 35 bucks or more (available over the counter and well worth the bucks because it works - for me anyway
default_thumbup.gif
). I use this 2-3 times a day, followed with a fresh dose of 1% hydrocortisone cream. It's the only thing I've found that works, other than the shots/prednisone. Also, Tecnu has a similar scrub out now, bigger tube and cheaper. I don't think it works quite as well as Zanfel... but it does work too. Zanfel and Tecnu are both available at our Walgreens. Zanfel is also available at Wal-Mart.

Another good thing about the 'scrubby' type remedies is they help scratch the itch!
default_wink.png

Good luck! Love Spring, but hate the rash & itch that goes along with it
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_wacko.png
default_ohnoes.jpg

I have tried the scrubs, but they just make me worse. Unfortunately, I can't use topical hydrocortisone creams, they burn me too!!! So, I just get my dose pack and keep one handy and suffer a bit. I think I am going to get baby wipes and keep them in the barn and wipe the little noses and lips before they get me....I wonder if this will work on keeping it at bay. Well, I gladly turn over the title of first poison ivy case to you, I certainly don't want it, the title or the poison ivy!!

Thanks for the posts. Glad to know I am not alone with this crappy little plant that should be wiped off the face of the earth, as far as I know, it has no meaningful use.
default_saludando.gif

We've been working on fence rows the last couple days,i'm keeping my fingers crossed. FlatcreekFarm thanks for sharing the products,never tried either one
default_saludando.gif

I don't have poison ivy, but right now I have a bad case of PMLE (polymorphic light eruptions..aka allergic to the sun). It feels and looks very similiar to poison ivy and is often mistaken for poison ivy. I've had this for a couple years but it's never been as bad as right now. We are vacationing in FL and the sun is so much stronger here than in MI I guess, my body just couldn't handle it. My arms and chest are covered in the rash and it burns and is itchy, they are turning blistery this am. Normally as the summer goes on it lessens as my body adapts to the sun, but I will still get patches of it. At least it's not on my face. Some prednisone sure would be nice right now!

PMLE

I don't have poison ivy, but right now I have a bad case of PMLE (polymorphic light eruptions..aka allergic to the sun). It feels and looks very similiar to poison ivy and is often mistaken for poison ivy. I've had this for a couple years but it's never been as bad as right now. We are vacationing in FL and the sun is so much stronger here than in MI I guess, my body just couldn't handle it. My arms and chest are covered in the rash and it burns and is itchy, they are turning blistery this am. Normally as the summer goes on it lessens as my body adapts to the sun, but I will still get patches of it. At least it's not on my face. Some prednisone sure would be nice right now!
PMLE
Allergic to the sun, that stinks, I feel like my little poison ivy is not such a big thing now, you put me in my place, lol.. Hope you feel better. Won't they give you prednisone for that?

Allergic to the sun, that stinks, I feel like my little poison ivy is not such a big thing now, you put me in my place, lol.. Hope you feel better. Won't they give you prednisone for that?
It's not so bad, it doesn't stop me from going out...I am very very tan right now and spend time in the sun constantly (we have a place on the water that we go to in the summer). Preds would help but we leave tomorrow so I'm just doing the benadryl thing. It looks horrible though on my arms...takes about three days to go away so should be gone by wed/thurs....once I get home where there is no sun....I just have to keep my fingers off it so it doesn't scab...its very itchy....and it burns...almost just like poison ivy only my skin will get real tender...I'm going to the beach today so it might get worse before better..lol...I am not letting it ruin my vacation. I never had this as a child started in my mid-30s. At least it heals up faster than poison ivy and doesn't spread from touching it...so actually I am better off than you right now.

If you can picture a really red and yellow poison ivy goatee, that is what I have, real attractive, lol.

Good for you staying in the sun, good source of vitamin D. Hope you get better with the benadryl. I have to go to the pharmacy and pick up my stash of prednisone the doctor gives me so I can be ready for my next go round with it, but, I am now feeling bumps under my chin and this is after 5 days on prednisone. The stuff just loves me.

Latest posts

Back