Its been almost 6 months

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoo

Reaction score
Hi all, I know that I have been gone from this board for a really long time, but I just really need to share and catch you all up on what has been going on in my life. I thought life was going great and on the right track this spring, I was roping alot, spending a ton of time with my parents and my brother Shawn. I had just bought a house and things were going great, but no such luck any more. There is only thing that has dominated my life since that fateful day of June 9th. My Dad, my brother Shawn and I were working on a fence project in Evanston, Wyo (thats what we do for a living). We have all been working the jobs together since Shawn and I were 14 and 13 years old, that means we have been working together over 10 years. Everyone knows their job and we are always always making sure things are safe. The job was a tough one as the fence crossed and recrossed a fair sized river many times in the 12 miles that we were building. We came to the last river crossing of the entire job on the afternoon of June 9th and rigged everything just like always, almost. The river was wider here than the other crossings so when we stretched out the 40,000 pound test tow rope it wasn't long enough to reach all the way from the small 10,000 pound posi track machine to the D5 dozer that would pull the small machine through the river. Now mind you we use this tow strap because if you over stretch it and it breaks it explodes rather than snapping back so no one gets hurt. Well since it didn't reach all the way across the river we covered the remaining distance with a 100,000 pound test rope that we use to pull the bigger equipment. This rope had about 2 feet of heavy duty log chain on each end. We figured that it would work just fine like that. So Dad got into the D5 and Shawn was driving the posi track. I was standing over to the side so I could wave and stop Dad if anything was going wrong. The small machine went right into the river and across just fine, but as it started to pull out the other side it hung up in the heavy mud. Dad saw it was hung up and stopped the D5 and put it in reverse, but before the dozer moved back to loosen the strap, rehook, and start over the 100,000 pound test rope broke about 2 feet from the heavy log chain. Since that rope was hooked to the D5 the pull from the smaller strap pulled that 2 foot of rope and 2 foot of heavy chain back through the cab of the smaller machine. I heard a loud crack and saw that it had hit Shawn in the side of the face. His head was laid back through the back window of the posi track and I knew there was no way he made it. My world just stopped and I fell to my knees crying. After what seemed to be forever, but was actually only a few seconds I stood up and ran across the river (it was about chest deep). Dad and I held eachother and cried for a long time before realizing that we were a long way out into the desert and had no phone signal and no help. So the two of us took him out of the posi track, wrapped his head up because I just couldn't look any more, and then loaded him in the truck and headed for town. The call to the cops, and the mortuary, were a blur. But when I had to call my Mother it took me an hour to get where I could even talk to tell her. When Dad and I got home to Cedar City, Ut 6 hours later we just sat with Mom and prayed for the longest time. Four days later we had a memorial service for him and it was absolutely perfect, or as perfect as things can be when you lose your brother, who was also my best friend. The last months have been a blur, there's not a day that I don't cry, I don't know how to go on. The guilt that Dad I both carry is unexplainable, how could we miss that, how could we let it happen........ However, I know he wouldn't want me to give up so I keep going every day, but life is just an empty shell now. I try so hard to go on, but to walk to the pasture to feed his horses I have to walk past his truck and trailer, the floors in the house are made of slate tile that I helped him lay. Most of the tack I use was made for me by Shawn. The leather seats in my truck are his workmanship, every where I look I see him. That is a good thing but it also really hurts me. I know that somehow, someday, I will see him again, but God it hurts so bad now. I'm sorry for spilling to you all, but I felt the need to talk about it now.

He's gone but not forgotten, cause everywhere I look

I see a part of him he left for me like a page out of a book

Though I can't reach out and touch him he left so much behind

That he's gone but not forgotten in my mind

This was Shawn heading for me about a year ago at a big roping in Las Vegas, Nv

CrossfireVegas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just so glad to see you back but not under these horrible circumstances. I do know what you and your family are going through every minute of every day. I wish I could fix your pain. I know about that blur you are speaking of. I realize your emptyness, but there are things I have learned along the way to help me get through the days and cope. If you or your mother want to talk, I am certainly available to you if you want to call anytime. I do mean that. I know this first holiday season will be very difficult for you all. Biggest hugs coming your way.

Words simply cannot express how sorry I am for what you and your family are going through. What a terrible loss.

Oh my God, I feel soooo broken-hearted for you. I am in tears reading your story. I am so glad you were able to share this with all of us, as I am sure writing it out may also be a part of healing for you. I just have this strong urge to take you in my arms and hold you and let you cry and to let it out. I feel so helpless. (((((HUGS))))) to you and your family.

This is such a tragedy. I am so sorry for your family's loss. {{{Hugs}}}

What a horrible thing to have happen to your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Though things are very hard and you see Shawn everywhere you look right now and feel your pain, it will get a little easier and someday you will realize that the things you have of Shawn are a comfort instead. May that day come sooner than later. Be kind to yourself.

So sorry for your loss of your brother and your best friend.

Please take care of yourself. Thinking of you in your time of need
default_pray.gif

Thank you all for the kind replys, and Marty you are right. His 27th Birthday was on Sept. 29 and that was terribly hard, the coming Holidays that used to be filled with joy are dark and hollow now, but somehow we keep going on day to day. WCR I do cherish the things of Shawns that I have and they help me to remember the good things, and memories of Shawn that I have, but it still hurts so bad. It was several months before I quit reaching for the phone to call him several times a day. I called and talked to him many times a day when we weren't together. He was my confidant, my best friend, my coach, my everything. I will never try to shelve his things and forget, no I can't forget him. I only want to forget what I saw that afternoon. Thanks again everyone.

Oh, honey. Words cannot express my sorrow for your loss. It seems like that sort of thing is going around right now and I can't imagine the pain you must be in. Please know that while I don't have the right words to bring you comfort my heart is breaking for your family and we share your pain. You will be the best living tribute your brother could have hoped for; I know you'll make him proud every day of your life.

Shawn was only a couple of months older than me ...it makes you think.
default_no.gif

Leia

All throught he reading of your post I kept telling myself that it was just a story. Not real people and real pain. I hoped right to the very end that I was right and my heart breaks for you that I was not. I have no magic words to ease a pain as great as the one you are suffering but you and your family are in my thoughts. My deepest condolences to you all.

If the days don't get easier, PLEASE, talk to your doctor. Depression is quite common after a stressful event like this and he may be able to help you to move past the worst of it.

My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Open your heart and mind and you will see the signs your brother is sending to you, to tell you he is ok and keeping watch over you. It is good that you are talking about it. It does help when you are grieving, to talk to people, especially to someone that knows what you are going through. Best of luck.

I'm so sorry for your family's great loss. Holding you all in warmest love and prayers.

In His Hands,

Tanya

I am sooo sooo very sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine what you and your dad went through when that happened.....I have tears in my eyes thinking about it, and the pain you all are in. I know I always worry about my husband in situations like that, you just never know when something will go wrong. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so incredibly sorry for this tragic loss you and your family has suffered. My heart goes out to you.

Oh my dear I don't have words to express my sorrow that you have lost your brother and best friend <HUGS> I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Yvonne

Kera l am so very sorry about your brother Shawn l can't imagine your loss and hurt but l'm so glad to see you posting l hope that helps some with the tragic pain. BIG HUG for you and keep posting it's been a long time since l saw the name Voodoo pop up and l've often wondered what you were up to..

That is a horrific accident for you to have witnessed.......and such a tragedy for you

and your family.

I hope having the things that he personally made for you brings you so much

comfort. He sounds like he was a totally loving brother, how lucky you were to be

in each others lives. It sure sounds like he never would have had a moment

where he doubted your love for him.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.....

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved brother and friend. You and your family will be in my prayers.

((((HUGS)))) Honey it is always a huge hurt to loose a loved one.

Back