Its Been A Long Time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrah

Reaction score
Phew its been a long time since I have posted anything on this forum, though I never really left, I have been a lurker for a long while now! I used to have two fantastic Miniature gelding named Spyder and Cinnabar who I spent hours training, showing and loving on. I ended up making the difficult decision of selling them both with the intention of buying a top notch driving prospect. But what ended up happening instead is I fell in love with a gangly Halfinger X named Maddie. Through Maddie I became interested in the sport of reining. Gosh its been years since I have been here! I still continue to work with minis and have started a great number of them to drive as favors to friends. I am now the proud owner of a palomino AQHA gelding named Dane who I plan to rein on. Here is a video of him before I sent him to training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3O59CCJ8iA&list=UUgZz9DasjpNN3cgerY5OV2Q&index=3

and a video taken about a month ago, sent to me by the trainer. He is still in training currently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRVvrFmHao&list=UUgZz9DasjpNN3cgerY5OV2Q&index=2

It feels good to be back!

I dont know much about big horses and he sure is pretty, my question is: y is his head so low? looks like hes gonna flip over or run into something? Ive never seen a horse hold its head so low.

Not sure if its a breed thing.
default_smile.png

sorry.

love his color!

He's really developing a nice spin and slide
default_smile.png
Pretty guy, I didn't know you had sold Maddie and gotten a new horse. Looks like you did a good job starting him.

I take it he has Hollywood Dun It in his bloodline..Hollywood Dun It sired many GREAT reining horses,and his legacy continues..But, (not to hurt any ones feelings,that's not my intention) your trainer does need to get his nose off the ground.It would be fine for Western Pleasure,but not in reining..Dane is gorgeous and has a good way of going..A good horse always takes my breath away, and he has mine..

Thank you everyone for your nice comments.

As for the questions about his head, its a style thing for reiners to have the low headed horses. Dane has never had the desire to lift his head much wither height, and I never tried to make him. I also never tried to make him keep his head where he didn't want it. The trainer has not done much to change him in that department, its the way Dane wants to pack his head. Both his parents were low headed as well. Is it right? Is it comfortable? I don't know. There are a lot of things in other disciplines that are bred or trained in for style purposes that also raise moral and ethical questions. But I don't have all the answers I just do what I am comfortable with and I am comfortable with what is happening between me, the trainer and my horse.

Just for reference here is the 2011 NRHA Futurity winner:

Both are showing the low headed style preferred by breeders and trainers nowadays. Though I will admit to not being 100% comfortable with the concept of a futurity in any discipline.

Back