itching

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytwoladies

Reaction score
I have a 4yr bred mare who is itching like crazy does any know what I should do for this? she has a couple of spots where the hair is almost gone plese I need advice....

Could she have lice?? My mare was scratching like crazy when none of the others were and had little bald patches on her sides, neck and tail. Dosed her twice over a 2 wk period with ivermectin (they were due a dose) and no more scratching and all healed up and hair growing back.

One dose of cattle dusting powder for lice and they are all gone. Yes, it is fine for horses. Get it at your farm store.

If she doesn't have lice but has "winter dry itchy skin" add a table spoon of veg oil to her grain every day. It should help in a week or so.

thank you for the great idea's Im going to try the worming first than the oil .. do you think it would be ok to try both at the same time sha not due till july soo theses are all okto use RIght? mytwoladies

If she doesn't have lice but has "winter dry itchy skin" add a table spoon of veg oil to her grain every day. It should help in a week or so.

you can do both at the same time
default_yes.gif

listerine mouth wash mixed with some baby oil. Put on once a day and most likely will heal. My horse had dry ichy spots like rain rot, and this works great!

listerine mouth wash mixed with some baby oil. Put on once a day and most likely will heal. My horse had dry ichy spots like rain rot, and this works great!
Rain rot isn't typically itchy. It does sound like the poster's mare has lice for which listerine won't help at all to my experience. I would try lice powder first.

This mare during the winter had rubbed her mane. You can see it didn't quite grow out all the way for this picture. She had all the hair rubbed off of her neck too. I added oil to her feed and she quit itching. This mare is also allergic to Teff Hay. If you want to see a horse go itchy and bumpy feed her Teff.

DSC00324.jpg

Latest posts

Back