Is this normal, runny nose & coughing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey

Reaction score
We are having dramatic weather changes here in Missouri. It is up to 80 one day and 40 the next. My 2 year old colt started having a runny nose a week ago, now my 2 1/2 year old colt is also having runny nose. The 2 year old colt does not have runny nose anymore. The 2 1/2 year old is showing more signs. He sounds funny when he whinnies. Also I got him out and he passed gas about 4 times with in the 40 minutes that I was with him. He doesn't seem sad and is eating, drinking and has regular bowels. Me and my son also have a sinus infection and wondering if he has the same thing. Should I worry or not? I had read the back posts and see that colds need to run its course. I would treat him as I do my kids, not take to the doctor yet and put on antibiotics, but let it runs its course, and if it doesn't get better then call the vet. This is the first time I have had a horse sick. Any advice?

You're a good mom. This time of year and spring are sometimes difficult for our minis. Runny noses, goopy eyes, coughs do crop up. Many of us kind of watch and wait, keeping an eye on eating and drinking, and pooping and peeing. General attitude and appearance also is important. If a horse hangs it's head, looks dull, this is a sick horse. Now that said, they may be sick minimaly but as you said many illnesses have to run its course. Watch a bit, take the temp if you can, most important...trust your instincts. If your mom alert goes off...call a vet. better to have a vet say...no worries than to wait too long and have a very sick horse.

Thank you KanoasDestiny and Dimimore. I REALLY appreaciate you taking the time to respond to me!

This is a wonderful forum and I will keep you updated!

Thanks!

Joey

In addition to watching his behavior (eating, drinking, pooping, and attitude) keep an eye on his nasal discharge. Clear or creamy discharge is okay. Icky yellow and especially greenish-yellow is NOT okay..... That's when a vet should be contacted.

You may also want to check their temperatures. If you end up a calling a vet, it's always nice to be able to report that to them.

MA

He is doing much better. We hit 80 degrees (close to a record high for November) two days ago and today there is no more runny nose! They are both cleared up. Your advice was great. Lt. Dan, whom I was really worried about, well I found out that he was born early and the vet had to bring out colostrum for him. I am sure that he has a low immune system, so I am going to watch him very carefully.

I love all the advice that you guys have wrote me and especially kansosdestiny for the PM on full detail.

You guys are great!

Joey
default_yes.gif
:

Just keep watching him, cause I hear MO is going back down in temps again. I do something once their breathing gets envolved. Don't mean caughing, but when it goes down into their lungs you need to do something then. Right now the vet would probably just give you something like SMZ tablets, but its best that they can get over it on their own. Like people the more you give them antibiotics for something simple the more and more times you can get it.

Latest posts

Back