Is this how cows are supposed to look...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point of the pictures of the cows in good shape was to show that even in top notch condition dairy cattle ARE boney in areas and ribby naturally.. I wasn't comparing the two if you read what I wrote..

IMO

They all look unhealthy and skinny. Some of the adults may be senior cows, but there is no reason for them to be that bony--not ever. I'd bet a buck their feet don't look all that great either.

Hope they get the care they need.

:Kim

Wow I didn't even think to look at their feet! I will have to take a look. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the owner will show up sometime today.

IMO

They all look unhealthy and skinny. Some of the adults may be senior cows, but there is no reason for them to be that bony--not ever. I'd bet a buck their feet don't look all that great either.

Hope they get the care they need.

Well I looked at those initial pictures posted last night. This morning after chores I took a drive by a couple of neighborhood dairy farms to confirm my initial reactions of last night. I saw absolutely no animals that looked anything like the show animals posted but that doesn't surprise me. I also noted that while some animals appeared to be in better shape than those pictured, the majority were not that different. Most also seemed intent on grazing whatever brown grass is sticking up from the snow rather than the nice green bales in the feeders. I know that because these are dairy farms, government regulations require frequent herd health examinations and documentation of those results be submitted to the appropriate government agencies. Thus my own conclusion is that those animals pictured are not in any danger of fading away anytime soon. I know with beef cattle you will sometimes see a wide range of body condition in a herd even under the most ideal conditions for feed etc; Very good friends of mine own a beef operation and within their herd there are some cows that consistently get thin when pregnant or have a calf at their side. As for the grazing issue, there still appears to be some there from what I can see in the pictures. Cattle here graze on that and less until it is all completely covered in snow. Also it is common practice for cattle to be put in to fields that have been harvested of a crop. You might just see some stubble sticking out of the ground but it is acceptable feed and a herd can clear that field if the snow stays away long enough. There is a herd that grazes a field just 20 feet from deck every fall. I know this year I treated them daily to a little second cut hay I had in storage from last year. It's just too rich for my horses. Some ate it, some didn't. I did manage to whittle down the supply of it though but there is plenty left to treat those who are interested next fall.

So I guess what I am saying is that we need to tread carefully. Beef/dairy cattle truly are livelihood endeavors. They are not pets and while their care may not meet the standards that some have for their miniature horses, it is quite acceptable care in the context that they tend to be in. That whole thing was a steep learning curve for me when I moved in to cattle country here.

These cows are on less then an acre and I'm not sure what pictures you are looking at but there is NOT much grass left for them even to nibble on! Just because they can survive on next to nothing doesn't mean they should or that it is right to make them. I am going to stick with my gut instinct on this one. They are huge animals and need more then a few nibbles a grass each day. I know how much grass was in the pasture up until about a month ago and I can see how there isn't any now. If they were maintaining their weight on the grass alone, they will start going down hill fast from this point forward if not provided food. JMO but I'm sticking with it.

Every living thing needs some kind of food to survive on and as far as I can tell there isn't much left on that little acre they are trapped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
They cannot survive on that grass at all--especially at less than an acre. The cows i'm feeding have around 7 acres to feed on, and they still need hay. The grass, under snow--or fall grass does not hold enough nutrition to keep them up to a healthy weight. Those cows also look dehydrated, and in need of mineral blocks.

Alot of people neglect to take a cow's hooves into general upkeep. The cows here have bad feet, and are lame as can be because of it. I've seen farmers who do keep their cows hooves trimmed, and I can see from what I have watched that the cows are grateful for it.

Too many people keep cows with little or no bovine husbandry training, and it breaks my heart. If you hear them calling out--(mooing), then that usually means they are in need of something. (Cows do moo for other reasons), but the ones here will call out repeatedly when they are out of food or water. They're pretty smart animals really.

Wishing you the best in your cow endeavor.

Edited to add a photo of the cows and goat I take care of since my landlord won't feed them. I've got them at not a bad weight, but aI would like to see them a bit heavier. Also edited to add--my landlord has his own hay barn mostly full of hay, so i'm at least not feeding from my own supply.

newpics005.jpg

Trust me, those are thin, unhealthy cattle.

Call animal control, preferably before the owner can put hay and water out for them and shoot your case out of the water!!!

Well it is VERY nice of you to feed them and I know they appreciate your kindness:yes I have already thrown almost a whole bale over the fence since yesterday when I first posted. The cows eat the hay as fast as I throw it over the fence. I can't possibly afford to keep feeding them for long. I am already prepared to go buy some more hay if I don't see some action in the next few days. But I am concerned because if I end up calling animal control I think me feeding them might hurt the case. I just came home and noticed that the property owner is in his backyard hopefully checking things out. . I was able to get a closer look at the cow with the infected eye. It is completely white and is buldging out. She didn't seem to be able to see at all because when I through the hay she kinda sniffed around in circles until she found it.

Hopefully the situation will be taken care of promptly
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

I'd get the property owner to help with hay maybe. These two here can go through two bales alone per day. Cows are big eaters, and as far as the blind one, as long as it's finding some feed by scent it should be okay.

I'm pulling for you.

So I guess what I am saying is that we need to tread carefully. Beef/dairy cattle truly are livelihood endeavors. They are not pets and while their care may not meet the standards that some have for their miniature horses, it is quite acceptable care in the context that they tend to be in. That whole thing was a steep learning curve for me when I moved in to cattle country here.[/b]
I don't mean to be disrespectful - but at least one of those cows look like h*** and the rest aren't in great health, either. I think any farmer would agree. I grew up in Iowa on a hog/cattle farm. I was hands on in raising those animals. I love animals and I don't like the way my father treats his livestock, he sees them as pure business and I've seen him do some things that make me ill - but I can tell you this - not one of his cows looks like that bony old thing in the first picture we were shown. He would have taken her to market long before that, or he would be FEEDING the animal to bring her weight up. Having animals look like that is not only inhumane it's not good business sense.

I wouldn't suggest she make a big deal out of it at this point, I would call the landowner and express concern over the fencing issue and mention that she thinks part of the problem is the animals don't seem to be getting fed. That might just help.

They cannot survive on that grass at all--especially at less than an acre. The cows i'm feeding have around 7 acres to feed on, and they still need hay. The grass, under snow--or fall grass does not hold enough nutrition to keep them up to a healthy weight. Those cows also look dehydrated, and in need of mineral blocks.

Kim these cows look HUGE from these pictures, btw
default_smile.png

YES they are HUGE! We have only ever had beef cattle. Short stubby little things and we would have them sold or butchered for meat before they got too big, usually within a couple years. The black one is the biggest. Every time I go out to see Melody now, the big black one starts mooing and stareing at me!
default_sad.png

default_smile.png

Every time I go out to see Melody now, the big black one starts mooing and stareing at me!
default_sad.png

These cows here will do that also. If you notice--their heads and constant stare will follow you as you walk the pasture--(no wonder aliens like them,--((kidding)),ha-ha. It is odd, but I guess it's their own way I suppose of telling you they're hungry.

Yes it is odd! She kinda cocks her head to the side as if trying to see me better lol! Kinda like dogs do when they are trying to understand something
default_biggrin.png
I am laughing but it really isn't funny in this case
default_no.gif

Every time I go out to see Melody now, the big black one starts mooing and stareing at me!
default_sad.png

These cows here will do that also. If you notice--their heads and constant stare will follow you as you walk the pasture--(no wonder aliens like them,--((kidding)),ha-ha. It is odd, but I guess it's their own way I suppose of telling you they're hungry.

YES they are HUGE! We have only ever had beef cattle. Short stubby little things and we would have them sold or butchered for meat before they got too big, usually within a couple years. The black one is the biggest. Every time I go out to see Melody now, the big black one starts mooing and stareing at me!
default_sad.png

default_smile.png

Oh no - I meant the other ones posted - those cows look really, really plump to me!!!

Not the ones by you - those look underweight to me.

hahahaha well they are huge height wise! Sorry for the misunderstanding :DOH! And if they were up to weight they would look even bigger

Well I looked at those initial pictures posted last night. This morning after chores I took a drive by a couple of neighborhood dairy farms to confirm my initial reactions of last night. I saw absolutely no animals that looked anything like the show animals posted but that doesn't surprise me. I also noted that while some animals appeared to be in better shape than those pictured, the majority were not that different. Most also seemed intent on grazing whatever brown grass is sticking up from the snow rather than the nice green bales in the feeders. I know that because these are dairy farms, government regulations require frequent herd health examinations and documentation of those results be submitted to the appropriate government agencies. Thus my own conclusion is that those animals pictured are not in any danger of fading away anytime soon. I know with beef cattle you will sometimes see a wide range of body condition in a herd even under the most ideal conditions for feed etc; Very good friends of mine own a beef operation and within their herd there are some cows that consistently get thin when pregnant or have a calf at their side. As for the grazing issue, there still appears to be some there from what I can see in the pictures. Cattle here graze on that and less until it is all completely covered in snow. Also it is common practice for cattle to be put in to fields that have been harvested of a crop. You might just see some stubble sticking out of the ground but it is acceptable feed and a herd can clear that field if the snow stays away long enough. There is a herd that grazes a field just 20 feet from deck every fall. I know this year I treated them daily to a little second cut hay I had in storage from last year. It's just too rich for my horses. Some ate it, some didn't. I did manage to whittle down the supply of it though but there is plenty left to treat those who are interested next fall.

So I guess what I am saying is that we need to tread carefully. Beef/dairy cattle truly are livelihood endeavors. They are not pets and while their care may not meet the standards that some have for their miniature horses, it is quite acceptable care in the context that they tend to be in. That whole thing was a steep learning curve for me when I moved in to cattle country here.
Sorry but I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU. There are many people around here with cattle and NOWAY do any look remotely like this. Enough excuses for poor animal management. I don't care if they are cows, rabbits, pigs, etc. THEY NEED TO BE FED and soon. You think that if this is his livelyhood he would know better! No excuses for this kind of crap. Do they have access to water????? This absolutely makes my blood boil. Just because they are cows doesn't mean they should be neglected or that it's okay. I would give this guy no more than 24 hours and I would be calling the authorities to come and make a decision as to what they think.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1026w.htm

Yes they do have fresh water

Sorry but I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU. There are many people around here with cattle and NOWAY do any look remotely like this. Enough excuses for poor animal management. I don't care if they are cows, rabbits, pigs, etc. THEY NEED TO BE FED and soon. You think that if this is his livelyhood he would know better! No excuses for this kind of crap. Do they have access to water????? This absolutely makes my blood boil. Just because they are cows doesn't mean they should be neglected or that it's okay. I would give this guy no more than 24 hours and I would be calling the authorities to come and make a decision as to what they think.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1026w.htm

The link for body condition scores was for beef cattle, and these are definitely dairy or dairy crosses so they will not cover up like those presented in that link..

Here are links for dairy..

BCS 1

BCS 2

That first one is pretty underweight and none of them look great.

Here is a Jersey cow we sold and pictured here she was older (around 8 I think?) and just had that calf. So no, they aren't supposed to be that bony.

scan0001-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back