Is this how cows are supposed to look...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
Do these cows looks like they are well fed? I have not been around milk cows to know how they are supposed to look. The neighbors house is up for sale and since his pasture has been empty he is letting a friend keep some cows in the pasture to eat down the grass. Well as you can see, there isn't much grass left for them. We haven't seen the owner come out much and I can hear them mooing sometimes at night. I gave them some grass hay today since Melody won't eat it. They seemed VERY eager to get to it! This was all brought to my attention because the big black one has been tearing down the fence trying to get to our grass. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!!

DSC05014.jpg

DSC05012.jpg

DSC05011.jpg

DSC05010.jpg

DSC05009.jpg

DSC05008.jpg

DSC05007.jpg

DSC05006.jpg

DSC05005.jpg

Definenetly not ! They are too skinny! There bones arent supposed to be sticking out like that!!

That is horrible! I dont know what you can do about it though!

I didn't think they were supposed to look like that. I know they are usually kinda boney but not this boney. Can't I call animal control and report it?????? There must be something I can do. I thought about calling our neighbor who is now living in another town and letting him know about the situation but that won't do any good. I need to bring it to someone's attention who can help the animals.

There is one way in the background that didn't even come over to get the hay. He has an infected eye.

The guy who owns them also has horses that he brings in through out the summer. I didn't notice them looking this bad but that's because they had a lot of grass at that time to munch on. I am just worried that it's only going to get worse for them. The grass has just died out in the last month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is normal to see some bones, but not that many.

If they are mooing its because they are hungery or thirsty typically. I know my aunts neighbors cattle go nuts at times. They shut up once fed or watered.

They are also not your typical dairy cow. Most of them look like beef cows, and I have never seen a skinny beef.

I've seen worse, but they definitely look like they've been missing good groceries for awhile. If the calves were fat and sassy, I'd say it was the calves bringing down the cows, but as the calves look rough, too, they just haven't had enough to eat in awhile.

I don't know who you'd call where you are, but you could try animal control or the sheriff's office and they could tell you who to call.

You still may wish to call your former neighbor, if he still owns the property he could be held liable for the condition of the cows, as they are on his property; depending on the laws there it may or may not affect him.

the cows look like beef breeds, but the calves look dairy.

I would definately let your old neighbor know, he can be held responsible!! He can tell the guy that he needs to feed them!! I would also call animal control and let them know!!

The skinny one in first and second pic is a jersey. very thin

The dark red with white is Shorthorn or milking shorthorn. Not real bad condition

large black and white with horns is holstien hereford cross. little thin

Black and white calves are holstien bull calves getting thin

One small jesrey calf with small horns is hard to see really.

Not hard to tell there is no feed left in pasture. I would guess there is not much water either?

Call the land owner first.

Oh, how sad... please do report this immediately.

I would nicely call the neighbor, initially express concern about the one trying to tear the fence down and then mention that some of the cows look to be in pretty poor shape and you're not sure they're being fed enough. I don't know if your former neighbor is an old farmer but I've found that being sensible and down to earth with farmers (I grew up with them) helps. If you call hysterical (I'm not saying you'd do that, just I know some folks would after seeing poor animals like that) you might just get written off as a bleeding heart.

And nobody wants cows getting out, lots of liability issues there - so you'd be doing the guy a favor to call.

Good luck - those cows don't deserve that.

The first two-Jersey or Jersey crosses, which ARE dairy breeds-are in BAD shape; the other adult cows-the black baldy, which I'd guess to be the very typical Hereford/Angus(both beef breeds) cross, or perhaps, a Holstein(dairy)/Hereford cross, are not as bad off, but they certainly aren't in good shape; they may be younger than the first two cows mentioned. Most of the calves visible look like Holsteins; probably bought off a dairy at a VERY young age...it is typical for the dairies to pull the calves off at a few days of age,and sell them for others to raise on 'nurse cows' or as bottle calves- untimately for slaughter. I'd bet that's how the owner 'uses' these cows-and he may also breed them to raise their own calves for slaughter. A cow is a lot more willing to allow a calf not her own to nurse...

No matter what, these cattle are NOT receiving adequate feed/care, and you should follow some of the suggestions here to contact the land owner and/or report the situation to the proper authorities. It is UNCONSCIENABLE to confine ANY animal and then allow it to suffer from lack of enough food and/or water, OR lack of medical care(the infected eye you mentioned...!!!- ESPECIALLY over the piddling amount animals in such poor condition will bring at the local livestock auction(which is undoubtedly where these animals are destined to go.) An effective approach may well be the liability one of the risk of the cattle getting out; even if they don't care about the cattle, they may care about the possibility of getting their OWN sorry hide sued off!! I have not much use for PETA; but, you are in CA, and if you don't get any response that is helpful to the cattle, you just might put in a call to them...

Good for you, for caring enough to be concerned about these cattle!

Margo

Oh Brandi,

Those poor cows are hungry.
default_no.gif
Please see what you can do to help them.

For lack of a better statement, HOLY COW!
default_new_shocked.gif
They need food, that part is obvious. And the fence! No wonder they are going through it, that fence won't hold them for long! Is that fence on your side or theirs?

There is NO QUESTION that two of those cows are starving........and the others are in poor condition as well.

I hope the property owner reacts properly or you'll be dealing with downed fencing and/or a carcass next door. If the property owner doesn't get over there within a day or so from being contacted, you should call the authorities, IMO.

MA

Yes that is the fence that is between our properties but it is not the fence that confines Melody. This is my fathers property and the fences have not been maintained. We re-fenced Melody's pattock and made a turn out lined with electric tape for her in the big pasture. She has NEVER been turned out with that fencing. We plan on putting new fencing up when we can but for now her area's are quite accommodating for a miniature. The cows are tearing down what fencing is left because they ran out of grass on their side. I will be calling our neighbor in the morning and discussing the situation with him. I am going to check the water situation before I call him so I can paint a clear picture for him.

Thanks for all the advice.

I will keep you guys posted

We have jersey cattle and those cows if milking should be fatter than that. I see calves with them so am assuming the calves are on their mommas. Though some ribs showing are alright but not that bad. I'll try to post a photo of our cows to show you the difference.

I know very little about cows, especially milk cows. Milk cows do tend to be boney in certain areas, but like everyone else said, those poor cows are skinny. They need food! Poor things.

UPDATE>>>

I called the property owner today and let him know the situation. I remained calm and just let him know I was concerned. I told him that there is no grass left and I have not been seeing the owner come out at all. He said he would call the owner and tell him that he needs to bring hay out to his cows or remove his cows from the property. He said that the owner is usually really good with his animals. Good to some people can be unacceptable to others
default_unsure.png
It sounded promising but we shall see what actually happens. My fear is that the owner will just move his cows somewhere else and continue not feeding them. Just thought I would let you all know. I threw them some more hay this morning. I'm probably not supposed to be doing that but I can't help it! I know its not nearly enough for all of them to eat but it's all I've got. If nothing is done within a few days I guess I will have to call animal control. I really hate to do that because my neighbor will know that I am the one who did it. I guess it's a small price to pay to help suffering animals.
default_no.gif

They definitely could use some weight but I wouldn't say they're starving to death.. I grew up on a dairy farm and dairy cattle are naturally 'boney' in areas.. The black and white is definitely a holstein/hereford cross as angus are polled and most of the herefords nowadays are polled as well, so she's getting her horns from the holstein.. More than likely the cows are being pulled down by nursing calves.. Jerseys and Holsteins are HEAVY milkers..

Here's a good Jersey show cow in top condition:

remake-Pat.jpg

and a Holstein:

Stanton%20(Supreme%20Champ%2018).jpg

As you can see even in top show condition dairy cows are still boney.. I am in no way saying that the cattle in question are not in need of more feed, they definitely could use some good grain and hay, but, dairy cattle and dairy farmers very typical get a bad rap for the cattle being "too thin" and "too boney" when it is natural..

Lucky C........ In my opinion, there's no comparison between the pictures you posted of the cows in "show shape" and the ones presented on page one of this thread..........It's like comparing a fit and trim miniature horse versus a mini who's underweight with no muscle tone.

I'm glad the property owner was contacted........Hopefully he will come look for himself.

MA

I have to agree, MA. Those show cows are beautifully turned out, fit and have fat in all the right places, whereas even coated the poor condition of the other cows is obvious. I sure hope someone helps them soon...

Latest posts

Back