Is this how cows are supposed to look...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I know about cows I can put in my eye.........

But it doesn't take a mental genius to see skinny and see no food out

So, the question of the hour is........whatchagonnadoaboutit?

NO!! That is NOT what they are supposed to look like and if they are bawling, they are HUNGRY!!!!
default_no.gif

Here are some photos of our jerseys. First photo taken in summer, cows get grain and minerals morning and night at milking time, rest of time on green grass. The other 2 photos are of them in the barn in fall/winter getting grain and minierals twice a day, dry hay twice a day and silage at noon. They are not as skinny as the ones shown on page one.

minisAugust07005-1.jpg

Barnpictures023.jpg

Barnpictures061.jpg

Thanks Shana for the pics. Your cows look wonderful and well looked after. As Marty said it truly isn't difficult to see, even to someone who doesn't know cows at all, that the ones the initial poster put pics of are seriously lacking what they need. I hope something is done about it by the owners. They don't deserve to be in that kind of shape, poor things

I do not have cows or know anything about them but husbands cousins was a big dairy farmer and retired last year. I always thought his looked thin.

Search google came up with this photo, just thought I would share.

This photo also shows a little thin to me.

Went back to look at your photos and yes, they are much thinner...

jersey-dairy-cows.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most milk cow species, vs. beef species, are more 'slabsided' and thinner looking. They do not have the muscle mass than the breeds used for beef, and they are 'hippier' than beef breeds. But a bovine is a bovine, and there is a point when they are too thin. Also, the constant bawling (unless it's weaning time of calves) means they are either hungry or thirsty- or both.

Danielle no problem. Our cows stay in the barn once it snows, and then go back out in the spring. We have fresh milk everyday,my mother in law makes homemade butter, and I learnt how to make homemade whip cream. Yummy.
default_biggrin.png
We have about 50 head of jerseys.

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't updated you guys. I became really sick Monday afternoon with flu like symptoms. Then yesterday I had to be taken to the emergency room by ambulance. I was having extreme burning in my abdomen and chest. I have a history of heart burn and acid reflux but this time it wouldn't go away and I couldn't breath because the pain was so intense. When the ambulance got here I was able to walk out to it even though I was doubled over. They said I was hyperventelating from the pain and that I needed to breath deeply. They ended up giving me morphine on the way to the hospital. They didn't really do much there except tell me that I needed to schedule an appointment with my GI doctor. Anyways, when I got home I started throwing up and felt worse then when I had went. I am feeling a little better today but still not back to my old self.

UPDATE ON THE COWS>>

I managed to make it out to feed the cows two days ago and the two babies were gone. Then last night I think the owner came and picked up the rest of them. We saw his big trailer backing into the yard. I won't know for sure until I go look in the pasture but my Dad was pretty sure thats what happened.

Thanks for the update on the cows.........not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing..........

Take care of yourself now!

MA

I think it's a good thing. He usually moves them around throughout the year. The two big cows are still out there though. I made it out there to feed Melody this evening and the cows started mooing as soon as they heard Melody's gate open. So I took them some hay. Hopefully he will come and get them soon too! When I had talked to him before he had mentioned that a couple of them were already sold so hopefully they went to their new homes.

I am no cow expert but i have raised some dairy feeders. on cows it is normal to see bones. being that them cows are holsteins which are dairy being able to see the bones is the dairy characteristics. it is kind of the same in goats. i raise toggs which are dairy goats then there are the boers which are not dairy and you will see the big difference. but it is normal for dairy cows to look thin but i feel them are alot thinner then normal. and as far as the babies go. many farmers wont leave the babies on their moms long. over the past few years that we have showed calves the got them from 3 different farms. one farm would take the babies from their moms the first day. the second and third place would leave the babies on there moms for about a week then sell them. i think it is awesome that you are as caring as you are and are feeding them thats awesome atleast someone is looking after them and taking care of them

Britt

Latest posts

Back