Is she pregnant and how far along would you say?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sounds like they are both going to be sick. That's got to be frustrating for you. If you want to know what it is the vet can probably test it. It might be worth the cost of having the vet out anyway. They can check if she really is pregnant, and probably find out exactly what this is.
I also don’t think I want to know I think I’d rather just wait it out and hope he’s right otherwise I will sit, stare, cry, stress out waiting for something bad to happen to her baby which could take a few months.

Well, knowing will either stress you out, or let you relax. I like to know, but that's me. Yes, that's a standard nothing to see there udder. If she is bred I would guess she has 2 months or more to go. Ultrasound seems to be the best way to go for minis, if your vet will do it, and many will not. They can lightly sedate her for it so it's less stressful. Other than that my favorite is to take an udder pic once a week. If you notice a change one week it may not mean anything but if you can look and see it's bigger and bigger 2 weeks in a row you have something brewing. Of course that only works for the last 2 months or so, It won't tell you today if she is going to foal in march.

Well, knowing will either stress you out, or let you relax. I like to know, but that's me. Yes, that's a standard nothing to see there udder. If she is bred I would guess she has 2 months or more to go. Ultrasound seems to be the best way to go for minis, if your vet will do it, and many will not. They can lightly sedate her for it so it's less stressful. Other than that my favorite is to take an udder pic once a week. If you notice a change one week it may not mean anything but if you can look and see it's bigger and bigger 2 weeks in a row you have something brewing. Of course that only works for the last 2 months or so, It won't tell you today if she is going to foal in march.
Okay thank you I’ll take a pic weekly for now and compare. Do most mares start bagging up a couple months prior to birth is that the usual to look for?

My experience has been that almost all horses start to bag 6-8 weeks before. When I say start though I mean the type of changes you really need a picture or good memory to notice. I have had a mare start to fill 3 months before, and be full to bursting for a full month before. I have heard stories of mares that didn't fill until after foaling. There are exceptions always. And minis seem to be a little more likely to be an exception than a regular horse.

I had to maiden horses this year - one bagged up a month ahead and the other didn't bag up really at all. But both of them had milk colour change and pH drop the day before foaling, just like clockwork. So size of udder development isn't necessarily a good indicator. The change of colour to milky white and the drop in pH is.

I had to maiden horses this year - one bagged up a month ahead and the other didn't bag up really at all. But both of them had milk colour change and pH drop the day before foaling, just like clockwork. So size of udder development isn't necessarily a good indicator. The change of colour to milky white and the drop in pH is.
When you say she didn't really bag up at all do you mean there were no changes at all or just that she didn't have a large udder?

This was last night

Attachments

• 4E6FE6CE-5794-43AD-810A-52393FC28486.jpeg
    4E6FE6CE-5794-43AD-810A-52393FC28486.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is todays udder do you think there’s some slight changes?

Attachments

• FE3AFE0E-10B4-4098-B00E-39AEA1201267.png
    FE3AFE0E-10B4-4098-B00E-39AEA1201267.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When you say she didn't really bag up at all do you mean there were no changes at all or just that she didn't have a large udder?
The udder never got large. She did develop some fluid that we were able to express and detect colour and pH change, but her udder never did fill to the point where you could plainly see it. Her milk supply was never much for her colt either. We've had to supplement him quite a lot but how he's got it figured, is thriving and growing! I won't breed that mare again even though I really like the colt. It's too much stress on the foal and myself!

That's interesting and always good to know for future reference. I have had sheep with tiny nothing udders but they still got tight and shiny before lambing, and they have always had enough milk for the lambs.
BrookeB I don't really see a change, but looking day to day at this point will drive you crazy. That's why I do once a week. Once she looks close it's more important to check daily.

That's interesting and always good to know for future reference. I have had sheep with tiny nothing udders but they still got tight and shiny before lambing, and they have always had enough milk for the lambs.
BrookeB I don't really see a change, but looking day to day at this point will drive you crazy. That's why I do once a week. Once she looks close it's more important to check daily.
You’re so right I will drive myself crazy😂I’ll do that thank you

You’re so right I will drive myself crazy😂I’ll do that thank you
Can you update us at least once a week then?😁

Ok so the first pic was last week and the second tonight do you think there’s a tiny difference? Sorry if I’m over sharing to early again but I had to ask😅

Attachments

• 1033052F-4F8A-441A-A42A-5D5F2A7C0688.jpeg
    1033052F-4F8A-441A-A42A-5D5F2A7C0688.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 0
  • B92CAF37-3708-4F93-B3DF-C48EDC9E74B2.jpeg
    B92CAF37-3708-4F93-B3DF-C48EDC9E74B2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back