Is she black? or Dark bay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilmiraclesfarm

Reaction score
Watching her grow I just can't tell if she is black or a very deep dark bay. She appears black, the fur between her legs is coming in black, all around her face is dark, but her ears and around her eyes has this light bay color. So could she infact be a bay? Sire and Dam are bays. But dam has produced 2 black foals that I was told of. Grand father on Sire side is jet black.

What do you think?

Day she was born:

Filly_5.jpg

Day after:

Filly_9.jpg

About 2 weeks later:

Beauty_3.jpg

Now today after almost 1 month old. I shaved her head and neck yesterday. She was looseing alot of her baby fur in her face. I think alot of that brown tint is dirt, as when I shaved her it was dark like the rest of the top of her face.

Beauty_4.jpg

Beauty_2.jpg

My guess would be that she will be colored much like her dam when she's mature.

I had one like her and I think she's close to that color.
default_smile.png

Liz

Thank you, she's very special to me. Her mother is a very special horse and this foal was born on my birthday.

Hopefully someone will be able to give me some insight on what her color might actually be.

Thank you, she's very special to me. Her mother is a very special horse and this foal was born on my birthday. Hopefully someone will be able to give me some insight on what her color might actually be.
well, you can always have her color tested to be certain... Test for Red factor and Agouti, then you'll know for certain (well, you could probably skip the Red Factor test, as you know she's black-based, but if you want to know if she's homozygous black, then you do Red Factor).

She's a cutie.

I think she's dark bay but I know she's really cute
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy hard to say, I would guess bay but that is only a guess. Regardless she is a sweetheart.Congrats on such a fine looking filly.

Thank you so far to everyone who'se gave me some help. I just love her to death regardless of her color. Although black would be really really really nice :eek:) It just amazes me on how quickly she is developing. Every picture I have taken of her, she's eating or got something in her mouth. Just a month old and she's sitting side by side with Mama eating grain. I can't seem to remember my last foal ever being this far developed. He was just a baby, still is!

I like her markings. She sure is a cutie! I think she's going to be colored the same as her dam, a dark bay.

Latest posts

Back