is she a dwarf?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is No.

She definitely does not look like one to me in the side shot. She is beautiful:)

If in doubt though I'd email John Eberth and get his opinion. He is the Expert on dwarfism in minis.

Susan O.

From the picture she doesn't look like a dwarf. Another thing you might check is pick her up. Does she seem unusually heavy for her size? If that is the case I have found it likely to be a dwarf.

From the picture she doesn't look like a dwarf. Another thing you might check is pick her up. Does she seem unusually heavy for her size? If that is the case I have found it likely to be a dwarf.
We toted her to the new on yesterday..and I'm guessing about. 35 pounds at the most.

I too agree with waiting till spring, ya just might have a teeny tiny filly that looks perfectly normal under all that fuzz. She sure is super cute!!!

I was able to pull your picture of her from your website and am putting it here to help people see (I hope that is okay).

Honestly, she is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! But I am seeing the reason for concern that she may be a dwarf based on this picture (very thickly and stoutly built) and her lack of growth is a red flag as well. I cannot say for sure either way from the picture, though.

twist%20front2.jpg
I am not sure about her being a dwarf..I dont think she looks like aone ,just tiny...Absolutely Gorgeous though!
Beautiful lil thing
default_wub.png

Still too hard to say, even from from the side shot. Just too much fluff and movement. I agree with waiting until spring/summer and seeing what is under all that fur. Sooooo cute regardless, enjoy her!

Last edited by a moderator:
No way anyone can tell with that fluff... And as foals it's hard to tell anyway. She's adorable, enjoy her... And keep us posted. She's too cute not to share more pics!!!

If I had to say yeah or neigh by these photos alone, I'd say neigh. In the first head-on shot I didn't see it so found another and definitely do not see it in that one. She and the others are very beautiful. When I saw this post I expected to at least see the high set or turned up nostrils. In my experience usually by her age it is obvious.

May I ask if the breeder (I'm assuming NOT her breeder?) pointed out to you why she said that?

She is adorable! She is a keeper for sure.

I have a minimal dwarf and it was finally determined when he was about a year old by the vet.

Like so many said, wait till spring. Never know what you'll find under all that fuzz! Either way she is beyond cute!
default_wub.png

She is just way too cute!!!!! It makes you want to pick her up and give a big hug!! What a cutie!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

From the pictures posted I can see why the breeder was anxious- and coupled with that you have someone who has actually seen her saying she is a dwarf- that would be a few definite red flags for me.

Since you are keeping her, and she is safe, there is no reason to worry one way or another, but it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Size alone is certainly not an issue, I have had many tiny foals, but there are other issues here that may or may not be attributable to dwarfism. Short answer- no-one, not even JE can tell you one way or the other, only time will tell.

Her head does look big, but that is in good part due to the thick fur that she has under her jaw. The neck you honestly cannot tell anything about, between the fur on it and the mane sticking straight up--like the others have said, wait until spring when you can clip off all that fur and then you'll be able to see what you've really got.

She's very, very CUTE!

She is so cute. I think she may be, but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

She doesn't look it from the photos, but hard to tell. She's definitely cute and her sibling doesn't look it. Less hair you'll be able to see for sure.

she's adorable! honestly, theres wayyyy to much hair to tell if she's dwarf or not. she looks like a mini wooly mammoth! i'd wait to judge if she's dwarf or not until she's clipped.

I most definitely think you need to wait and see her clipped.

I have a filly who is still up for debate. I have a couple pictures that can show you just how bad winter pictures can make her look compared to spring/summer ones.

Winter:

399768_207382909348259_100002296543466_445231_1754691380_n.jpg

406501_207754519311098_100002296543466_446157_377036963_n.jpg

167966_1640882833440_1577895892_1424289_4718893_n.jpg

164053_1640862952943_1577895892_1424239_7089785_n.jpg

Spring/Summer:

269427_121181271301757_100002296543466_186572_3595340_n.jpg

198961_1768635227170_1577895892_1626331_7845069_n.jpg

See that nice refined head?

I'm not saying that she ISN'T a dwarf, or that she is. She has some craptastic conformation that I don't deny, but her dam doesn't look to hot herself! I'm just saying that winter fur is nobody's ally and especially with bad pictures.

Here's my suggestion.

Clip her when is good and warm, (for me its May) and then get a good conformation picture of your girl on SOLID ground. Concrete if you have it. Dirt is okay too. Maybe give her a good bridle path like my girl has in the first spring/summer picture. Of course, your girl may have some fluffy hair like my girl had so you may want to wet it down or something. I thin the mane down myself so its not too thick.

I also wanted to note the fact that you used FLUFFY foal pictures that look to have been taken when she was a month old? Not yet shedding. If you have any pictures that are more recent (fluffy winter is okay, summer pictures, fall ones) that would be awesome.

Latest posts

Back