Is it worth it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaming of Minis

Reaction score
I was offered a mini stud for free. He is 7 and if I got him I would geld him and show him in Pinto. I could work with him (exercise him, train him, ect). But should I take him or should I look for one with more 'quality'? I am new at this and have a harder time telling if a mini has dwarf characteristics (like his neck, he is a stud and does not get much exercise so I think it is fat, but are his legs ok and his head? ect) I would really enjoy everyone’s opinion.
yes.gif

Stephanie

Here are some pics of him 11/6/05.

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm4.jpg

sm3.jpg

sm7.jpg

sm8.jpg

What a cute little silver bay pinto! I don't see anything at all dwarfy about him. He looks like he's been well cared for. I'd say go for it!

I don't see any dwarf characteristics at all. He agree with the post above he looks very well taken care of. What a cute little guy!!

He's a sweetheart and looks very kind and kissable...

Very cute!!! I like him!!! Go for it!!!! And you can't beat the price!!
biggrin.gif

He looks very hugable to me and nothing that stands out as dwarfy at all... I would take him in a hear beat. Nice price that is for sure.

Do NOT look a gift horse in the mouth!! You have your work cut out to turn this little rough diamond into a show horse but he is beautifully marked and has a wonderful backside that is born to pull a cart. Go for it.

I agree with all the other posts .He looks like he has been well taken care of ..You cant beat the price but if you plan to breed him i would make sure he is fully decended and i would also check to make sure he dose not have stifle problems as that is hereditary..And can be passed on to his foals ..He is very nice looking...

I would like to see a side shot showing his neck (off mane side). It appears it is thick from the pictures. If this is the case then you will need to sweat it which may or may not get it into show shape. Otherwise cute horse & would make a wonderful pet...... A & R shows are very tough if those are the shows you will be showing him in. If in doubt can you have a knowledgable person evaluate him for you in person?

I guess im a bit different but I would pass on him. He could make a performance horse but wont cut halter.

He looks short and thick to me. Also looks like he toes out ALOT in the front. Legs are very important in a show horse.

Yes his neck is thick but I think a proper diet, exercise, and a neck sweat will do the job (don't quote me on that though
biggrin.gif
) I am not sure if that is just how he is standing but he could have something wrong with his legs. He is free because the people owning him (lady who I got lessons from when I was 9) does not really do much with him, and my mother was talking to her about how I am dieing to have a mini of my own and she said why not take Stud Muffin? (That is his name) So I went to look at him yesterday. And if I do show him he would be gelded, shown at Pinto (they are not as 'hard' as A and R, that was what I was told) and I have also shown there with my 'big' horse and it was fun and I placed 6th and two 5ths under 4 judges, with 10 people in there, not know hardly anything, with a horse I found out has bad conformation. I have also contacted a woman in Pinto who is a Miniature horse judge who can evaluate him for me.

Thank you for everyone’s opinion
laugh.gif

Stephanie

I think you could have a ton of fun with him and could show him successfully probably in a number of classes! I'm not thinking he'd be a top halter horse but could do good in color, driving and in hand performance.

My first horse was a freebie, too. He was and is a wonderful horse. He is getting elderly now, but he changed my life
yes.gif
He, Sky, is pictured below about 3 years ago:

sky+jill-small-medium.jpg

If you are looking for a sweet mini to have fun with and take to local shows he seems perfect. Equally important he would probably love some more attention than he is getting and some one on one. He looks like a lovely little chap and I would snap him up if I were you?

What is not to like??

He is great value for money!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I also think he is cute and looks well taken care of, so if you have the time and motivation to work with him, how can you go wrong?

Best of luck to you and keep us posted about your progress.

Pam

I think he's absolutely adorable, but am also curious - why is he free?

Liz R.

AJ said:
He is free because the people owning him (lady who I got lessons from when I was 9) does not really do much with him, and my mother was talking to her about how I am dieing to have a mini of my own and she said why not take Stud Muffin? (That is his name)
496187[/snapback]

answer to Hosscrazy

wub.gif
What a doll baby....those eyes are just precious!

I say show him to your heart's content....it'll be a wonderful experience for both of you. He gets to strut his stuff.....and you get to show him off!

Congratulations.....and have a wonderful barn plaque made for him!

Cindy

My goodness I would go for it!!! He doesn't look like he has the dwarf characteristics.. so I would say heck train him to pull a cart and have a blast with him!!!
aktion033.gif

My only concern is if he toes out as much as the pics show he does, to much work might be hard on his legs. And if he toes out that much, there will be no hideing it when showing.

Latest posts

Back