Is it possible?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKG miniatures

Reaction score
I bought some older mares that are pretty much witches so I swore that any foals would not be that way. Now I have pests. Is it possible to make a horse too friendly? They absolutely love people. I'm worried when I try to show them that this may be a problem.

Sue

I have a dear friend that told me if I was going to show them, then they needed to be treated like show horses...... but, with a little sterness, they can be both. You don't want them to be too laid back, just a little bit of "on edge".

Mine are pasture pets.
default_smile.png
Always in my pockets and reaching for treats. But I teach them that in order to get a treat, they have to set up and stretch their neck for halter. So all my horses will set up in the pasture unhaltered. Kind of funny to see! I think the friendly ones are nice showing and don't spook like the more un-friendly ones. Just like it was mentioned, sometimes you have to be more stern if they overstep their boundries.

Quite frankly, I have always found that if a horse has "it"--that attitude that makes him stand out in the ring--then he will show that attitude when you have him out in a class, no matter how much of a pest....I mean PET....he may be at home.

I know people that say they don't handle their show horses much--in the pet sort of way--because they want them to show well in the ring. Well, after a few shows these non-pet show horses are still losing interest and looking dull in the ring if they don't have that show horse attitude, while there are real pets out there looking bright & alert and still showing their hearts out just because they do have that show horse attitude.

I've got a filly here that as a foal I spoiled with kisses--I'd put my hand under her chin & bobble her nose up & down while I'd make kiss noises on her nose.
default_biggrin.png
I do that with all the foals, but this filly really likes it and got so she will bobble her nose up and down on her own. If I ignore her she will stand there with her nose stuck way up, trying to get me to notice & give her some kisses. She does look sort of silly, and I thought perhaps I had ruined her for showing. She is 2 now & I've been working with her, getting her ready for a show next month. As it turns out, when I set her up and ask her to show, she does, making no effort to beg for kisses. So, all is good.

What I'm picturing in my mind's eye are friendly horses who do not respect your space. Coming "in" uninvited for pets and cookies, etc.? Friendly horses can and do show extremely well if they respect you as the boss and respect your space and my hunch it's the respect of personal space that is the issue, not the friendliness of the horse (?).

Quite frankly, I have always found that if a horse has "it"--that attitude that makes him stand out in the ring--then he will show that attitude when you have him out in a class, no matter how much of a pest....I mean PET....he may be at home.

I know people that say they don't handle their show horses much--in the pet sort of way--because they want them to show well in the ring. Well, after a few shows these non-pet show horses are still losing interest and looking dull in the ring if they don't have that show horse attitude, while there are real pets out there looking bright & alert and still showing their hearts out just because they do have that show horse attitude.

I've got a filly here that as a foal I spoiled with kisses--I'd put my hand under her chin & bobble her nose up & down while I'd make kiss noises on her nose.
default_biggrin.png
I do that with all the foals, but this filly really likes it and got so she will bobble her nose up and down on her own. If I ignore her she will stand there with her nose stuck way up, trying to get me to notice & give her some kisses. She does look sort of silly, and I thought perhaps I had ruined her for showing. She is 2 now & I've been working with her, getting her ready for a show next month. As it turns out, when I set her up and ask her to show, she does, making no effort to beg for kisses. So, all is good.
what a CUTE CUTE vision i have in my head!!! you're my kinda horse person!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back