Is it a pinto?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liltnt

Reaction score
Ok I have to know, There have been a couple of all white babies with just a patch of color above the knees, Does that make them a pinto? Maybe a reverse pinto? Or would they have to have colored socks and a patch of color above the knee?

Also , if the top of their heads have color and both ears are colored, Does that make them a medicine hat Or is medicine hat like being a appy?

One more question, What traits make a grulla? What color is a grulla when you clip them? Gray? Do they have a dorsal strip?

It seems that with a pinto they are all colored with a patch of white. So I have to ask. and thanks in advance.

grulloleft2.jpg

Here is a picture of a gullo, clipped. They are a mousy grey color with dark point, some will have the primative barring on the legs and webbing on the head instead. (We had a colt a few years back with the bars and webbing if I run across it I'll post that too.) They are a form of dun so they will have a dorsal stripe as well

Ok I have to know, There have been a couple of all white babies with just a patch of color above the knees, Does that make them a pinto? .
Yes! Color + White = Piinto.

Maybe a reverse pinto? Or would they have to have colored socks and a patch of color above the knee?
No such thing.

Also , if the top of their heads have color and both ears are colored, Does that make them a medicine hat ?
Yes.

One more question, What traits make a grulla? What color is a grulla when you clip them? Gray? Do they have a dorsal strip?
Grulla is a Black Dun. Usually kind of mousey colored, but varies. Usually they have a dorsal stripe, but on occasions MAY not.

It seems that with a pinto they are all colored with a patch of white. So I have to ask. and thanks in advance.
Pintos can vary from very minimal white to virtually ALL white.

In order to avoid having to copy and reprint material, this site has some good pictures (even though you have to catch the "click here to skip ad") : http://greenfield.fortunecity.com/dreams/7...horsecolors.htm

Click on the Overo and go to the bottom picture to see your "all white with only a spot" horse; there's also one on the Sabino page. It's still a pinto.

They also have grulla described and pictured.

Grulla is a Black Dun. Usually kind of mousey colored, but varies. Usually they have a dorsal stripe, but on occasions MAY not.

To the best of my knowledge, ALL dun horses DO have a dorsal stripe. It is my understanding that Dun MUST have the dorsal, and a buckskin CAN have, but not always.

Latest posts

Back