IS HE LONELY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. I have had Bobbie for about 4 mths now and he has settled in really well. Unfortunately the dog, a German Shepherd, and Bobbie do not get along - this is the dogs problem, as he wants to EAT Bobbie - well, I suppose given that, it could end up being Bobbie's problem too!

At times I see Bobbie walking up and down the same stretch of fenceline - and he has actually made a little path in the dirt. Is he bored? We were really hoping that the dog and he would get along - I did read in another forum from here of someone who had a shepherd and a mini and they were great mates. Is there any other animal that he would feel like it was part of his herd - or am I gonna need to bite the bullet, and start nagging the other half for another mini to keep Bobbie company. I had heard that a goat or a sheep would be ok for him but how much work would another mini be, compared to a goat? If they are the same work, I woudl prefer to get another mini and if so, what should I get, i.e, a gelding or a filly? Given I have'nt had him gelded yet, would it be a problem if I got a young filly or would he hassle her all the time? Bobbie is yet to be gelded and is just over 12 mths old. Thanks, Kerrie

My choice would be another mini. I believe one certainly is a lonely number when it comes to horses. They do get along with goats, but goats chew on them and don't stay in the fence. Keep the dog away from him or he may be dead, seriously. If his testicles are down, you should get him gelded immediately, yes, if you put a filly in with him, he'd be likely to breed her. So if you can't geld him, you should get another colt for a buddy, this is just my opinion. I hate to see one lonely mini.

I agree, I would stick with another mini, and geld, I wouldn't go with a filly incase you dont get Bobbie gelded. The "path" you are talking about is called "pacing" it can become a really bad habbit to break. Like Marnie said keep the dog away or you might find something you dont want to see .We hear and see photos of dog attacks all the time its just not safe for Bobbie if the dog is wanting to go after him.

Well, I do think you need another mini, but not a filly as he would breed her. And even if you get a gelding, there is no guarantee he would get along with it, especially with him being a stallion. I would have him gelded now, then wait for his hormones to subside, and then see if he would get along with another mini. I know plenty of people keep their stallions with other stallions or geldings, but most of them will say that some of their stallions do not get along with others, or even just certain others. You will need to cross fence for at least a short time, as it would be unwise to just turn two strange horses out together without themn having the opportunity to "meet and greet" across the fence. And even if the two don't get along great in the same field, horses do benefit greatly from having equine company in sight even if they always stay in seperate fields.

Your dog is probably jealous. If you know any dog trainers, you might be able to work through that, but a jealous dog is probably not ever going to get along with your horse.

I started out with one miniature, and had him for over a year before I got another. Sometimes I felt he was lonely, but in a way it made a bond between us that is still there, even now that I have other horses. Work with him as many times a day as you can, even if it is a short while--a few minutes. Leash your dog if you have to while you work with the horse.

My jealous dog (australian shepherd) was ultimately killed by the horses; she kept coming up behind and got kicked in the face. I really don't think you need to worry about a single dog harming your horse, as it is when they pack up that they kill.

Good luck!

Marsha

If you do get a filly they need to be separated by a fence and she'll need another filly or gelding as a companion. They will then share herd behavior even through the fence. Our stallion and his mares "sleep" together, nap together, eat together, talk across the fence. That provides him with the companionship he needs without risking the breeding. The filly needs more contact than that - she needs to be able to groom with another, feel safe - one will stand to nap while the other can lie down - engage in mare herd behavior. Dogs and goats don't know horse herd behavior.

Get a young gelding or another colt.
default_yes.gif
:

I think it depends on the horse but there are many fine well adjusted horses living alone - doesnt mean it is right for your horse though.. You could try a neubian goat they are pretty decent in size and mine was a great companion for our horses.. in fact she often "rode" our big horse

Latest posts

Back