Is any one else really tired of this weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N. IL: 20-something, so far we only got about 3" of the 3-6" snow. Horses are out and I think my husband is happy he can just toss hay and not have to scoop poop indoors. Like was said above-thank heaven for small blessings.

Frozen pipes, no water for a week, then pipes burst, heater dies. Dog cuts up his foot, it's just too cold and it's making me fool so old and worn out. I'm hating this winter and want it to be over or at least stay above 40!

Then again, soon I'll be whining over heat and humidity....I'm a winter person, but this winter is too much.

ok.. furry little ground hog says 6 more weeks of winter.. ugh. now forecast for tomorrow says 4-6 inches of snow and colder temps. ugh. kids eating up their whole spring break in snow days. ugh. sigh.

Nice layer of freezing rain covering everything this AM...gates frozen to the ground, latches frozen shut...24 degrees...I have had enough!!!

More snow right now. Folks who are used to lots of snow are set up for it. Here in SW OK, a mild winter is our usual fare. This winter has been tough. I'm trying to figure out how to keep chicken food/water snow free and thawed. I'm wondering why my silly horses won't stand under the shelter and eat hay instead of standing out in the snow until it's 4 inches deep on them--with no food in sight.

Thank goodness for our wood burning stove! Other folks have terrific electric and propane bills. We are total electric and our December bill was $175. Electric water heaters for the animals, included.

We are glad of the moisture here, but I would settle for a nice spring rain...

that furry little groundhog can kiss my furry little.....It was raining and overcast here this morn and our groundhogs say no shadow to be seen! At least it's above freezing. Spring better get sprung early. Now I'm wondering if we will have a normal spring or a super wet one. Probably be the wettest on record with my luck.

We have pictures on our email address; but don't know if I could get them to here. One of our pastures has a drift along the fence line 6 feet deep. There's a pic of one of our boys standing on a 4' foot pile and one of him on the same pile (from another direction) showing the pile and only one strand (the top one) of electrobraid showing. (It's into the adjoining pasture, so they can't go anywhere. Anyway, they respect that electric- of course, they could decide to jump I suppose! LOL!).

A nice break from the super cold weather yesterday. Outside water pipes unfroze.. DH and DS insulated them and figured out one of the house vents had wiggled partly opened, which caused the issue.

Spent as much time as I could outside... ground was too slick to hand walk or drive Maggie around. So I rode one of my Icelandic's, she is the one with Fox hunting shoes on, so the slick wasn't an problem for her.

This morning we are having rain.... lots and lots of rain. sigh ~~~ And tonight it is supposed to get below freezing again.. so make tomorrow interesting. :p

Ok so I have to tell this stupid thing I did yesterday! We have huge sliding doors on the front of our barn. One to close the llama room and 2 on the front of our barn and that's how we go in and out everyday. And as you can imagine the track that they slide on gets full of snow and ice and they are a bear to move. I dig and scrape and pull and push every morning and evening fighting with 2 out of 3 of these sliding monsters(one just stays shut until I have to get the spreader in and out). So last night they said below zero temps, so I'm going to close the llama room up so everyone stays warmer. Now I had left this open all day so critters can go in and out and get out of the weather if needed. I knew it was going to be a fight so I prepared and dug and chopped the packed down ice and snow out of the way. I stood in the door way pulling that door with both hands and all my might. The door finally started to move and it slid pretty good until it squashed me between its self and the door jam! I was stuck! I stood there thinking what the bleep did I just do! I got so mad I started to kick the door (one footed) and tried to squeeze out. Now I panicked alittle but I did eventually wiggle out but I could not budge that door. So I squeezed back in that crack(figuring hey if I got out I can get back in right! LOL!) and put my feet up on the wall with my back on the door and pushed to open it. Nope it did not budge. So I gave it one really good kick.. Guess what she moved just like butter! I just stood there huffing and puffing, half crying and laughing. As I was walking (trudging) back to the house I was thinking, Gosh no wonder I'm so tired and sore....

Another day in the wonderful world of winter chores! Hehehe! Those critters have no clue how much I love them!
default_yes.gif
LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Woke up this morning to a snow storm. Up to 8 inches expected. Kids off school. Woke up every 30 minutes all night and dragged ourselves out into the cold to check on a heifer calving. Delivered her baby girl this morning at 5:30 am. Last thing I feel like doing today is shoveling. ugh. gonna be a long day. Hoping for a nap opportunity. haha

feeling old and beat up this morning.

Supposed to get about 1-3 inches between tonight and tomorrow morning. Then go rather frigid again. High of 7 on Thursday. Some minus temps in the evenings.

Snowing here AGAIN...
default_thumbdown.gif
! Got about 4 inches and the wind is a blowing...then talking very frigid temps and another round of snow "flurries"(at this point any snow sucks)on Saturday and then more "flurries" Tuesday...Enough already!!!!!!!
default_thud.gif

woke up to an ice storm. trees are leaning and branches are breaking and falling. Pine trees sound like gun shots when they break off branches. Dogs keep barking at the sound.

Second day of no school for the kids for the week and yesterday was 2 hour delay. Branches are breaking my stuff out there but I am afraid to go outside. I bedded up horses and goats and gave extra hay late last night as storm was starting and glad I did.

Husband managed to get to the barn to check on the cows and where he was standing 10 minutes ago has a huge tree branch laying there. YIKES. that was a close one.

I hate winters like this.

Sorry I decided not to buy the 20$ ice tread walking things that go on boots. Only good news is that it will be above freezing in a few hours.

Here is a funny one for you...... last night when my son and I were taking some grain to the cow bunk and I was walking with a stick and I decided to draw a big happy face in the snow with the words... "Have a nice day" on the barn bridge so it could be seen from the road. My son looks at what I wrote and then he looks at me strangely and he says..... "Hey Mom, why did you write "Have anus day" in the snow?

I laughed so hard.. tried to explain to him that this was a thing we wrote in the 60's and maybe I could have placed my words a little further apart.

priceless.

Shorthorsemom
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

On a bad note, I think we just got all of Little Lady's yucky weather.....

This is our third day of single digit. Yesterday the wind chill was -39!! Our north wall plumbing froze--not good. We got more snow last night. The horses don't seem bothered, but my chickens are not happy. We are setting records for cold this year. We get a glimpse of sun every 3 or 4 days.

A pot of hot stew made with frozen sunshine (summer vegetables) is on the menu today.

Well dang! I knew I was tempting fate by talking about our mild winter. It has dropped down to extremely cold temps, -32 C here this morning (not sure what that is in F any more but it is freaking COLD lol) along with a north wind. It is going to stay this way for the weekend I guess and then warm up a bit and snow some more (oh joy) At least the sun is shining right now and even tho its cold the air smells so fresh, like sheets dried on the line. I don't really mind the cold as long as nothing freezes up/breaks and I can stay home (and feed my animals and heater extra ) and the sun shines. Love the sunny days.

Well dang! I knew I was tempting fate by talking about our mild winter. It has dropped down to extremely cold temps, -32 C here this morning (not sure what that is in F any more but it is freaking COLD lol) along with a north wind. It is going to stay this way for the weekend I guess and then warm up a bit and snow some more (oh joy) At least the sun is shining right now and even tho its cold the air smells so fresh, like sheets dried on the line. I don't really mind the cold as long as nothing freezes up/breaks and I can stay home (and feed my animals and heater extra ) and the sun shines. Love the sunny days.
I don't recall the exact conversion, but do know freezing is zero C and 32F, so you must be close to our current around zero temps. so, its friggin cold. ;)

I checked my thermometer which has both Celsius and Fahrenheit on it and the equivalent readout seems to be somewhere around 25 -28 below (it is exactly the same at 40 -that is 40F = 40C). Along with a wind it is pretty nasty. I was supposed to go to town today, have lunch with my daughter and husband, but it just isn't worth the risk of harm to my car to run it in these temperatures so I am just staying at home. Used the time to give my dog a pedicure which I've been putting off and to clean my kitchen. I won't need to go outside again today since my horses have all the hay they can eat plus some until this weather lets up. I probably should go out and collect the eggs again around dinner time since all but one was frozen completely solid (and cracked of course) today, in spite of an insulated coop and a heat lamp, but I won't bother, I'd rather lose a few eggs than face the cold again lol (I'm getting softer as I get older ;) )

I checked my thermometer which has both Celsius and Fahrenheit on it and the equivalent readout seems to be somewhere around 25 -28 below (it is exactly the same at 40 -that is 40F = 40C). Along with a wind it is pretty nasty. I was supposed to go to town today, have lunch with my daughter and husband, but it just isn't worth the risk of harm to my car to run it in these temperatures so I am just staying at home. Used the time to give my dog a pedicure which I've been putting off and to clean my kitchen. I won't need to go outside again today since my horses have all the hay they can eat plus some until this weather lets up. I probably should go out and collect the eggs again around dinner time since all but one was frozen completely solid (and cracked of course) today, in spite of an insulated coop and a heat lamp, but I won't bother, I'd rather lose a few eggs than face the cold again lol (I'm getting softer as I get older ;) )
Ok, so that doesn't make sense to me. My thermometer that shows both, shows 0F to be about -20C. 40C is like 100F. Whatever the temp for both of us, its friggin cold.
default_wink.png

LOL, great, nothing like having a standard thermometer reading we can trust. You are still correct, COLD, no matter the conversion. Up to 15 C now, supposed to drop back down to -30 tonight which is a huge swing.

Latest posts

Back