Is AMHA trying to run customers away?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Valley

Reaction score
I kept a 2009 colt as a pet, and gelded him early. I intend to keep him. I had a health scare, and it made me think about his future as an unregistered gelding if something were to happen to me. So, I sent his registration applications to both AMHR and AMHA. AMHR was very quick to get the work done, no problem. AMHA has informed me that since he is a 2 year old, he must be DNA tested and Parent Qualified. What is the point of this for a gelding?

It's in the AMHA Rulebook that any horse 24 months of age or older must be DNA'd and Parent Qualified in order to be registered. No matter the sex. However, if those that feel it shouldn't apply to geldings want to see the rule changed, submit a rule change proposal. That's the way to make changes in our registries.

It's in the AMHA Rulebook that any horse 24 months of age or older must be DNA'd and Parent Qualified in order to be registered. No matter the sex. However, if those that feel it shouldn't apply to geldings want to see the rule changed, submit a rule change proposal. That's the way to make changes in our registries.
I agree. Sometimes rules get put through for a specific purpose, but then situations turn up where the rule doesn't seem to make sense. You can't just ignore the rule, but you can work to change it and make it apply appropriately.

It does sort of matter who a gelding's sire and dam are--one reason is if that gelding is being shown & is doing well, people might look to see what his parentage is. If his papers say he is sired by Great Sire it's nice if that really is his true sire--people could be misled into breeding to Great Sire (or buying his foals) and they'll be disappointed when their foals don't turn out anything like this gelding....because this gelding was actually sired by That Sire instead.

I always figure that it is easier to pay the registration fee when they're foals, get them all properly registered & then you're done with it, no problems like this to crop up because you chose to wait too long & now have to do/pay something extra to get papers.

I just want to say "Good for you" for being concerned about his future that way! I wish more people would follow your lead as the market around here for unregistered geldings is pretty limited when you can have a registered one for pennies on the dollar.

Leia

I'm facing the same issue, and find it annoying to have to pay for a gelding's DNA/PQ test that is ultimately going to end up in a pet home or 4H/youth horse. But it's the rules, so I'll abide by them.

I can see why though, as you know some people would sell a gelding saying it's sired by *** if they thought there was a few more dollars in it.

Latest posts

Back