Introducing Horses to a New Place

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN Belle

Reaction score
My two boys are coming home for Christmas!!!!! It really is sinking in more and more and I can't contain my self.
default_new_multi.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Anyways, my question is how do you introduce your horses to a new home? They have been boarded for six years at two different barns and both barns are so different that I am trying to mesh what I know into a plan. The bad news is it supposed to rain over the holiday long weekend, so they won't get out much to explore their new area. Much like being at a show, they will be new to everything around them. So in you opinions, will it be harder for them their first few days to be stalled up without getting out in the new pasture and MUD? They will be going to a much larger stall each, from 12x6 to their own 12x12. We built the barn for regular horses as we don't plan to breed mini's or get any more, but want some Fell's or Fjord's too. The stalls we have, they can see through door, but not eachother. The two boys have ALWAYS been stalled together, both loose and a divider between them. This will be the first time they will be completely seperated from each other, sight too. I think the mini horse will be fine, but the mini donkey is going to go nuts, I just know it.

In a nutshell, I planned on exposing them to everything over the weekend so when I begin leaving them alone all day when I go to work, they will be comfortable. If they have to closed up all rainy weekend, should I turn them out next week for the first time with no one there?

I am so stressed about every little thing, please forgive me. I am scared to death that my dream is finally coming true and now EVERYTHING, big and little is up to me.....AAAAA!!!
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_gaah.gif

This picture shows the stalls, but there is a whole more done to it by now. I will post new pictures after the weekend when they are here.

Barn3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First, take a breath. Second, just do what ever is safer. Horses tend to get very excited in new places, often times running at full speed. If it's muddy, I wouldn't turn them out just yet. When we bring in new horses that will be out in the pasture, I first put them in a seperate pasture to get aclimated. I'll walk them around the pasture, showing them the fences, and then I will turn them loose. Having hay out usually distracts/calms them down. Since your stalls are so big, I would stall them together for a couple days until they settle down. Once you've turned them out and let them explore, they'll be used to their surroundings and then you can seperate them. Too much stress at once can be asking for trouble.

I have moved horses (big ones) from barn to barn and then home at last, and here are a few things I learned. Moving your own horses around is not the same as getting a new horse, in terms of adjustment (my experience anyway). Because YOU are the constant for them, so they have you to help minimize their stress. It is good that you plan to hang around with them when they first move in; I always did that when I moved Target. If you have shown these minis, then I think it makes things so much easier. It will be a little like going to a show. I would consider putting them in a stall together at first, and I wouldn't be too concerned about the weather. I think they will do best if they get used to a small area at first (i.e. stall and barn, maybe small turnout) and then you gradually expand the "comfort zone". Do you have or can you create a small turnout area for them? You might also consider tying surveyers tape (or something highly visible) on your fences, depending on what type they are. And I would second the lead them around first before you turn them loose. I would not recommend turning them out anywhere for the first time if no one is there. I think (if they were mine) I would want to take them out in the rain, if only to lead them around and show them their new home.

Good luck with the move!

Congratulations! The barn is awesome.

and calm down, got any tea?

Ideally, try to fix the stalls so that they can see each other. That helps enormously and they won't get separation anxiety at all. Remove a board or build a window, something like that and you can certainly put them in a stall together at first since they are used to it.

Then walk them around on the lead all over the place to show them their new digs so they know where the fences are before turning them loose. You can try it inbetween all this stupid rain we've been having for an hour or so and watch how they do. Merry Beth was running full speed and fell in the mud in the back pasture last week and nearly broke her leg off so be careful.
default_saludando.gif

I would stall them together when they first arrive. Just moving a horse to new surroundings can be enough stress to cause them to colic. New hay, water, feed, and no company is just too much. If they have a fellow herd member they can be with, that will help, so keep them together. I also would not turn them out for the first time without being there. Horses are very curious and will check out everything and if there is anywhere they can get in trouble they will find it. Turn them out and keep an eye on them. Also keep an eye that they are eating and drinking well and that their poop is staying good - soft round balls that break apart when they hit the ground. Your stalls look lovely, have good ventilation and they will be able to see out which is nice. Good luck with your new boys!

Is there anyway that you can Quarantine these horses before you introduce them to your herd?

That has always been a rule on our farm for ANY horse coming in. We quarantine them for 2 weeks. In all of the years that we have had horses, we have very very rarely ever had a sick one.

I know some people are not able to do this but if you can that would be my suggestion before you do anything else.

Good luck to you!
default_smile.png

Here is a shot of the pasture area my hubby literally put the step in posts yesterday. The pasture is about 3 acres, so we are making at least two paddocks out of it (hence the two gates side by side). We temporarily split it this way cuase the other side still has a post & rail pile we didn't want them to get into. I said above, we hope to have riddable horses too, so we made a large horse side, and a mini side.

This shot also shows what little grass is in there for now, newly planted the previous fall and this spring, but nothing new recently. Where you see the little shed will be moved into the pasture eventually as that area will be the pathway to the barn just behind the house that you can't see in this shot.

Pasture.jpg

This picture shows the area around the barn, behind and to the other side of the house. This shot was when it was first built as well, so the trech isn't there anymore, but you get an idea of the lay of the land I am dealing with. My dream property it is not, as I want everything behind the house, but as such, at least the barn is. We plan on taking alot of the hills out and clearing more eventually.

Barn4.jpg

I am not worried about a quartine area as these two boys have been together at the same boarding barn for four years and I have none at home to worry about mixing them with.

I normally stall new horses for a while first, with just turn out to the roundpen, after about two weeks i will bring one of my more easy going horses into a paddock with them...then introduce another..and another. But if its a broodmare, most of my mares are pretty easy going about sharing their pasture.

Something else to consider before turning them out in a pasture is that until they get to know you better they may not be easily caught. I would keep them in a stall for a couple days and then, as Leeana suggests, turn them out in the round pen or a small paddock when the footing is good and until you are sure you can catch and handle them.

Here is a shot of the pasture area my hubby literally put the step in posts yesterday. The pasture is about 3 acres, so we are making at least two paddocks out of it (hence the two gates side by side). We temporarily split it this way cuase the other side still has a post & rail pile we didn't want them to get into. I said above, we hope to have riddable horses too, so we made a large horse side, and a mini side.
This shot also shows what little grass is in there for now, newly planted the previous fall and this spring, but nothing new recently. Where you see the little shed will be moved into the pasture eventually as that area will be the pathway to the barn just behind the house that you can't see in this shot.

Pasture.jpg

This picture shows the area around the barn, behind and to the other side of the house. This shot was when it was first built as well, so the trech isn't there anymore, but you get an idea of the lay of the land I am dealing with. My dream property it is not, as I want everything behind the house, but as such, at least the barn is. We plan on taking alot of the hills out and clearing more eventually.

Barn4.jpg

I am not worried about a quartine area as these two boys have been together at the same boarding barn for four years and I have none at home to worry about mixing them with.
Wow, that looks great. You are so going to enjoy having them at home. I agree with others, if they are used to being together, keep them together for about a week or so, while they adjust to their new home. If you've got one, use a round pen for turn out for the first week or so, while they adjust. When you get ready to put them on their pasture, take them for a walk around the perimeter so they have an idea where the fence lines are.

How many stalls do you have in that awesome looking barn?

My Arabian would literally spazz out every time he moved. Finally, the last time I moved him to his last and forever home, as we walked down the driveway I talked to him, saying this was his last home and I would never leave him. He was perfect. He adjusted and never worried. But then, he was 22 by then.....
default_laugh.png

Lucy

I just bought a couple of foals home a couple of weeks ago that I bought and I stalled them right next to each other and they had 12x12 stalls. I WISH that I'd thought to stall them together, when I first brought them home, but they have adjusted well. I agree with the others. I STILL have mine in the round pen and they are adjusting across the fence now with the others getting to know one another AND their surroundings and where they belong. I've walked them around and shown them the place, but you'd be amazed how they are in awe of everything. So turning them loose I don't think is a good idea. Just like us they need to feel comfortable, and YES you need to know you can catch them. Mine I can now catch and we're good buddies now but you want to form that bond again with them so they can trust you. Good luck and enjoy them. TJ

Last edited:
THEY ARE HOME!!!!!!!!!! MERRY CHRSITMAS TO ME!!!!

I have to wait until Monday when I get to work to send any pictures. After all the nervous poops are done, and all the snorts are through, they tried out their new stalls seperatly at first. Just as I expected, the donkey went nuts trying to see over the wall, which he barely can. They can just get their noses over, but not their heads. I put them together and then war started since the divider was gone and the donkey was cornered. So, we moved him back and after some hay and brushing they settled down okay. A few pee spots in the first few hours, but no poop yet. I put them to bed for good and will be a ball of nerves until I can check them in the morning.

Thanks for the help and I am sure I will be posting alot more as things arise. I am so excited!!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Are they next to each other? Or can you put them on either side of the aisle so they see each other through their lovely doors?

Thanks for posting! I was thinking of them today.

looks great and you will SO enjoy having them home!!!

if you haven't turned them loose yet, do this...as has been suggested, walk the perimeter of the pasture and show them the fences. when you get ready to take halters off, take them to the FARTHEST point away from the barn and turn them loose so they are facing the barn. that way, if they decide to go full speed, they will head back TO the barn instead of AWAY from it and there's less chance they'll get too excited and try to go THROUGH a fence.

good luck and post pics when you come down out of the clouds.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back