introducing babies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
My two girls had their foals about 3 wks apart how do I introduce everyone so they can be together just put them together. These two mares last year used to be together but when I bred them I kept the one with the stallion she was bred with and the other stayed with the other horses. anythoughts? Never had two babies together.

How big is the area that you are putting them into? If you have a good sized area, and they have been together before.... I would just turn them out together. I have never had any problems with shuffling my herd around or putting mares & foals back out into the group.

I agree, if they have enough space I would just turn them out together and watch for a while. I have never had any problems.

How about a few new photos?????

I've had drama doing this before with large horse mares. It was a very tense few minutes until we could get everyone caught again and safe, even though we turned the mares out in their leather halters just in case.. One mare, who I never suspected would be aggressive at all literally went for the other mare, who was also a passive type. The foals were scattering everywhere, it was a terrifying mess. Luckily no one was hurt, but I learned a valuable lesson. If you have an area with a shared, baby safe fence, try putting the mares in adjoining turnouts before tossing them out together.

One grooms the mane, and the little one grooms his friend's shoulder!

You should know better than to tempt us like this, now we need photos!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Mares with foals can be very protective, even with mares they know and have been friendly with. Make sure the area you have to turn them out in is large and has no corners where a mare could get another cornered. They need to be able to get away from each other safely and if they can't, they will run through a fence or get cornered.

I have a good size paddock but it does have corners. These two used to be yard pals until later year when I was putting them with the stallion and the one stallion doesn't have a buddy so kept the mare with him so they have been away from each other for a year. I put them side by side for now. the one mare can see the other horses and my 2 yr old QH filly and needless to say mom bit the big horse on the nose. I guess to warn her NOT to even look at her baby. So just worried she will be mean to the other mom and filly.

Back