Information on combined driving please!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
hi everyone!

I am really considering starting combined driving with my miniature horse, she is just starting driving and I am practicing some lower tests with her in my dressage ring (my sister currently does eventing on her thoroughbred and I use to ride dressage about 3 years ago so I know basics). she is doing wonderful so far but I need to know more about CD before I jump right in!

I would love to know any information anyone has about what I need, what I need to get to practice, Etc.

Here are some of my main questions, but other information Is always helpful:

what do I wear?

do I need to get new carts and harnesses?

how big are the dressage rings?

Thank you for reading:)

Combined driving is the most fun horse activity I've ever participated in
default_smile.png
I'm a combined driving addict!! I've found everyone to be very welcoming and supportive of people who are just getting into combined driving. At least on the east coast, I've found lots of beginner-friendly events that allow you to try out combined driving in a low-pressure, very helpful environment.

Here's what I wear for dressage/cones at CDEs:

kandy_prelim_myopia.jpg

I usually tuck my hair up and braid my horse's mane, but this was a pretty informal event. I use a Bellcrown Minicrown cart, but I've seen lots of different types of carts used. Most events will let you use a cart with pneumatic tires at training level, but it's best to ask the organizers ahead of time. My harness is a Camptown harness, and I love it! But again, I've seen lots of types of harnesses used. As long as your harness is safe, fits your horse, has a breeching, and is substantial enough, you should be ok. Sometimes the dressage ring used for minis is the same as the big horses, but usually the VSE ring is about 20x40m (I think- someone correct me if I have the wrong measurements).

Here's our marathon setup:

kandy_touchstone_marathon.jpg

This is my "work" harness, another Camptown, and my Hyperbike. It's a great setup for marathon! Most people that I compete with use the same cart for all 3 phases, so that's definitely do-able.

The American Driving Society rulebook is a good resource to get started. Volunteering at an event is also helpful. My first combined driving experience was actually an Arena Driving Trial clinic, which was the perfect introduction to combined driving for me.

Latest posts

Back