Information about teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good link to read about miniature horse dental issues. Mickey may have over crowding and impacted teeth. They are talking about removing some of his teeth but the risks seem very high. Has anyone done this with their mini? He is three years old. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this info, I hope it helps

MINIATURE HORSE DENTISTRYCrowding of the teeth in a miniature's head is a common finding. "Mini's" have "full" sized teeth in a "sub-compact" sized head. Misalignments and periodontal pocketing are not uncommon. These pockets trap feed, the feed undergoes necrosis (rots), the rotten feed creates painful gum infections and diseased tissue that leads to loss of supportive structure for the tooth. The end result is the loss of the tooth, or more appropriately, a necessary, often expensive extraction.

The infection that is associated with periodontal pocketing is painful and it subtly adversely affects the overall health, attitude and energy of the horse. Treating periodontitis involves balancing the malocclusions ("leveling the teeth"), cleaning out and medicating the infected areas and sometimes extracting the overcrowded teeth that have caused the problem.

"Wouldn't I know if my horse is having problems like this?" Seems like the obvious answer would be "yes." Unfortunately, most of the time, this is not the case. An obvious chewing problem or a foul odor from the mouth might indicate problems in an advanced case but most of these problems are much easier to deal with when found on a thorough oral exam early on.

It is very important to have a professional examination done early in the miniature's life.

If a miniature's mouth is monitored from 6 months through 5 years, often (depending on what the mouth looks like), with potential crowding noted, radiographs taken to note how the teeth are coming in, extractions to make room for other teeth, the miniature horses will mature into adulthood with a healthy, attractive, pain free mouth.

If you've acquired a mini as an adult and missed the opportunity to start dental check ups at an early age, consider the sooner the horse IS evaluated, the better. Problems don't go away on their own; they just get worse, even if the little fellow seems to be happy, eating well and having no problems.

Oh my, what a timely post. If you can share where you found that information it would be great, I'd like to read more.

If you've acquired a mini as an adult and missed the opportunity to start dental check ups at an early age, consider the sooner the horse IS evaluated, the better. Problems don't go away on their own; they just get worse, even if the little fellow seems to be happy, eating well and having no problems.
I'm dealing with something of this nature now. I have an 11 year old gelding with on/off health issues. Well, Monday he goes in for x-rays to see if he has something as simple as a bad tooth that can be removed, or something as serious as a bone infection that might not have such a good outcome.

thanks for the link! I think this is what is causing his fever too. We have pretty much eliminated all other ideas for the fever.

Well that would be good as I think it is easily solved. Good luck Mickey
pray.gif

Yes, in his 3rd year my then stallion had to have 4 baby teeth pulled as his permanent ones were coming in behind and out of line. Minis for some reason seem to "hold onto" their teeth longer than they need. My mare lost and got all her teeth without help but my stallion had to have a couple of caps in the back removed as well as 4 of the front ones.

Latest posts

Back